Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obese to FIT (22stone +)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is an interesting thread (and one which I unfortunately can relate to fairly easily).

Congrats, Vibes, on your success thus far. I know first hand how easy it is to slip back into the 'old ways', so I really hope you do well with this.

I've started a bit of a fitness binge myself this week. Diet is still needing work but the exercise part is what I'm trying to focus on. I'm a photographer and as such spend a fair bit of time at the PC (dealing with people, editing photographs, etc.). I'm also a very practical person. I can't 'go for a walk' unless I actually have somewhere to go.

At the start of the week I weighed myself, and today I did, too. On the 30th (Monday) I weighed 17st 1.2lbs/108.5kg. Today (Friday) I'm coming in at 16st 11.9lbs/107.0kg. So I'm happy with that, but I really went balls to the wall this last week.

I think my location is heavily involved in any level of success I may (possibly) achieve as I use two separate gyms. One is a 10 minute walk from my house, the other is a 25 minute cycle (I use the close gym at 7.30am and the further away one at approximately 2pm, each for an hour or so).

Can I ask ye guys though (ye guys = those overweight and trying to get fit); I go to a gym in the mornings (As above) that has a lovely big swimming pool. Usually about 6-7 people in it in the mornings swimming up and down. I like swimming and forever hearing of how good it is for you (cardio/weight loss-wise) but I find that I'm extremely self-conscious. I can't bring myself to use the pool at all.

Reason I use two gyms is because the one I use in the morning gets very busy in the afternoon, so I joined the other gym as it's quieter in the afternoon time.

Am I alone here? Is this a common issue amongst us? Or do ye guys just say 'feck it' and do what you want?

What's up man?

Why are you self concious? Because you're a bit over-weight?

That's natural but, as the above poster says, you are what you are.

But there are many reasons not to be. I mean, when you see someone overweight with their top off, do you think horrible things? I'm guessing the answer is no! And nobody else does either!

Bu the best one for me is this: I used to live in Spain and my mates came to visit. My mate (who I have roped into this weight loss thing with me) wouldn't take his top off on the beach. it was so so hot!

My other mate said to him "Lad, if you're not taking your top off because you're afraid people will notice you're a bit fat, don't worry about it.......... they notice you're a bit fat with your tshirt on as well"

Although it was a bit of banter, it's true!

Also, once you start losing weight you'll feel much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Brewie

How are you getting on Vibes?

Been a month to the day from your first post in this thread. Still going good??

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭vibes23

Still goin strong only half pound down this week. Still hittin it hard. HAve good days and bad days but stayin on course !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Fair play keep it up. Remember it's a lifestyle change not a temp thing. Baby steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can I ask ye guys though (ye guys = those overweight and trying to get fit); I go to a gym in the mornings (As above) that has a lovely big swimming pool. Usually about 6-7 people in it in the mornings swimming up and down. I like swimming and forever hearing of how good it is for you (cardio/weight loss-wise) but I find that I'm extremely self-conscious. I can't bring myself to use the pool at all.
    I know this post is quite a bit old, but I think it's worth addressing. In the nicest way possible; Everyone else knows you're overweight. They can see it. That's one the reasons you want to lose weight right, to improve your appearance?
    So you need to lose any misconception that if you jump in the pool with your shirt off, people will be surprised or will stare, or will laugh. They won't, because they can see you're overweight, nothing you can do will make them think you're more overweight. So forget about "revealing" yourself with other people around; they don't care.
    The key though is to remember that in the gym is the place you are least likely to be judged for your weight. You're not there to watch movies or eat food; you're there to work out, lose weight and get fit. Nobody else is thinking, "Wow, look at that fat guy". If anyone is thinking anything, they're thinking, "Fair play to that guy, I hope it works out for him". But most people aren't thinking anything, they're too busy trying to hide their own wobbly bits :D

Fair play vibes, and especially on recognising that you'll have good days and bad days. You'll even have good weeks and bad months. Stick with it and you'll get there. One thing to focus on is that it's not a bad thing if the numbers aren't going down, so long as they're not going back up. A week where you experience no weight change is a good week on balance; it means you haven't undone any good work.

OK, so the OP wanted stories. 8 years ago I was in my early twenties and fat. I'd been fat since I was 11. I broke my knee that year, spent six weeks sitting around and eating, and I just never really came back from that. I was a relatively active kid, played hurling and soccer like other kids, had a blue belt (red tag, in fact) in Tae Kwon Do, cycled a lot as a teenager. But I ate like an elephant. So I was always a wide guy. Always hated it, but never had a clue how to lose weight; as far as I was concerned, I did lots of exercise, so why was I still big. My parents didn't know a lot about such matters either, my mother convinced that it was "puppy fat" which would disappear when I got older and that I just needed to tone up a little bit. My Dad reckoned if I did a little but more exercise I'd be grand.
    Looking back now, I know it was all diet.

Naturally as late teens and college arrived, alcohol and food intake went up and activity went down to practically zero. I joined the college gym on more than one occasion, went to a couple of sessions with various sports clubs, but always lacked the drive to keep it up - there was always something more interesting going on.
    I had tried to "diet" and such in various guises. I can recognise now why they failed, mainly because of a lack of understanding - "Eat healthy foods only". A 12-inch tuna salad roll is healthy, right? "Only eat when you're hungry". Fine, but when do I stop eating? :D
    Portion control was my downfall, but I never encountered any diet which explained that.

8 years ago, about a year after I'd left college, my girlfriend (now wife) was concerned enough about my weight to fool me into going to weightwatchers on the pretence that she didn't want to go on her own. She knew I was very sensitive about the subject of weight but also very unhappy about it, so I guess she reckoned that was the least offensive way of getting me to do something about it.
    So we went to the meeting, I think I was more nervous about the room full of women than anything else, for some reason the idea of stepping on a scales didn't worry me. I was somewhere between 14 and 15 stone. Had been for years, so I was expecting no surprises.
    I step on the scales; 17st 5.5lbs. It was actually like being hit with a baseball bat. That put me at a BMI of 35 and based on figures I have today, about 40-45% body fat. I knew nothing of BMI or body fat then, but that didn't really matter - the numbers were there in front of me, I wasn't just fat or a little bit overweight. I was huge.

It all changed for me in that second. I knew I was done. I couldn't look myself in the eye (in a mirror of course :D) knowing that I was so big. I liked the weightwatchers system, it suited me down to the ground. You can eat X points per day. Eat it and then stop. It worked for me, I was always a fan of numbers. Although my girlfriend stopped going after the first 6 weeks, I lost about 2.5 stone in the first 8 or 9 months, and kept up with WW for about another year after that, managing to drop about 3 stone in total solely on the WW programme. It was WW which gave me an initial understanding of portion control and calorie counting.

There are a few things which are great about the weight loss process;
    - finding that your clothes look ridiculously big on you
    - Looking at old photos and comparing them to more recent ones
    - Seeing these numbers on the scales.
    But by far I found the biggest, most motivating ego-boost I received was when someone would greet me by saying, "Holy crap, where's the rest of you?".

I tried to do some exercise with varying success. Managed to go to the gym a few times a week for 3 months, but didn't see any noticeable improvements in fitness or strength, and I was bored. I was probably expecting too much. Then I got a new job which wasn't next door to the gym, and that was the end of it.

Changed job again and decided I hated the bus enough that it would be worth cycling the 10km in and out of the city. I had always enjoyed cycling and here was a good opportunity to get back on the bike and get fit. So after a few false starts, I got into doing the trip practically every day. Also started experimenting with counting calories and dropped a stone-ish.
    Got really into cycling then and although I got noticeably fitter and stronger, I never really lost much more weight than that initial stone over the next couple of years. In fact I managed to let it slip a little bit, back to just under 14 stone.
    Late last year, looking at BMI and and the end of my twenties looming, I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't be 30 and overweight. That I would enter my thirties being the healthy and active person I had wanted to be in my twenties.
    So I did. A fairly concerted calorie counting effort along with a few evenings running every week and I managed to drop another 22lbs in 8 months with a week to spare before my 30th birthday. BMI of 25. A relatively meaningless number in the grand scheme, but a validation of 8 years of weight loss - I was no longer clinically "overweight". Something I had not been for nearly 20 years.
    I even went and bought a new shirt for going out that night. It was a large. And it was a bit too big for me. Awesome.
    I still have a few KGs to go before I'll draw and line and say I'm done. I'm aiming for 15% body fat, give or take. But that's for reasons of training, getting faster on the bike and on foot. I no longer worry that people look at me and see a fat guy, so I'm not doing it to look better.

That's probably not any kind of inspiration for the OP. Mine is a story of falling off the horse and getting back on again and then stabling the horse for a couple of years before getting back on and trying it again. It's not a story of 10 stone lost in two years followed by an ultra-marathon and climbing everest. But in 8 years of semi-committed regulating of my diet, I managed to undo ten years of very committed eating :D
    And I'm happy with that.

You'll get there in the end, OP. It's never plain sailing, and it will never happen as fast as you want it to. I think if you can come to terms with that, then you will manage to stick with it. I believe that it's only through suffering the hard parts of losing weight that you can come to properly appreciate just what each pound is worth. And that's what will stop you from putting it back on.
    As Redsunset says, it's a lifestyle change. Not short-term or medium-term. The rest of your life. Me and food still have our love-hate relationship; I love it, it hates me. But I understand the relationship well enough to keep control over it without feeling guilty for splurging and without feeling powerless when I get cravings.

• Advertisement

Good man Vibes. Half a pound is still half a pound in the right direction! You're doing well. it's always a good feeling when you see the scale and the number is smaller than last time!

And Seamus, great story man! It's those types of stories that I think are the most inspirational!

seamus wrote: »
    I know this post is quite a bit old, but I think it's worth addressing. In the nicest way possible; Everyone else knows you're overweight. They can see it. That's one the reasons you want to lose weight right, to improve your appearance?
    So you need to lose any misconception that if you jump in the pool with your shirt off, people will be surprised or will stare, or will laugh. They won't, because they can see you're overweight, nothing you can do will make them think you're more overweight. So forget about "revealing" yourself with other people around; they don't care.
    The key though is to remember that in the gym is the place you are least likely to be judged for your weight. You're not there to watch movies or eat food; you're there to work out, lose weight and get fit. Nobody else is thinking, "Wow, look at that fat guy". If anyone is thinking anything, they're thinking, "Fair play to that guy, I hope it works out for him". But most people aren't thinking anything, they're too busy trying to hide their own wobbly bits :D

That's a fair point, I suppose. For the last two weeks or so I've been contemplating the swimming pool a little more, but everytime I think about it it becomes a tad more challenging.

I suppose it's just one of those things that's a huge deal in my head. I haven't been in a swimming pool in years, so it just kinda feels, I suppose, like I'm doing something alien to me and that I'll look like a(n overweight) fool.

I'm sure if I do it once or twice it'll be part of my regular routine and I'll have no problem doing it at all. Just that first step is the hardest.

Cheers to everyone else who took the time to reply to my question. Weight loss, despite being an entirely physical process, really is more of a mental struggle and challenge, isn't it. Can be quite tough at times.

That said, I'm quite literally sitting at the computer wearing a pair of pants I picked up in Penneys about six years ago that were worn once or twice before being too small for me and left in a wardrobe. Came across them by mistake earlier and tried them on. They currently fit quite comfortably. I'm happy about that.

Fair play vibes.

It's a pit there's not a lot of us in one area that could regularly gym together. A 'fat bastard' club would be great. I'd never join an exercise class or do a 'boot camp' thing for fear of being the only person there that can barely move. A group of people who are severely out of shape could be a great idea. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

In a similar boat. I'm currently about 16.5 stone but at my heaviest was 18 stone. In 2004 I decided to do something about it (when I was at my heaviest) and I joined a gym. They gave me a personalised work-out plan and also gave me a list of food/meal suggestions. The food was normal enough but I do remember one thing on the sheet "No Chocolate". I lost 3.5 stone in the space of about 6 months.

Unfortunately I started to slack off and was going back to my old habits and a year or two ago, I was back up to my heaviest more or less. I've got the weight down a bit to where I seem to be constantly hovering between 16 and 16.5 stone. I'm 5ft 10 so the maximum I should be is 12.5 stone, although I'd really like to be about 11 stone.

I'm not exactly sure why I'm struggling so much at the moment. Back in 2004 I was really motivated and determined and it was all I could think about. Now I just get motivated for a couple of days or weeks. Lose a few lbs, then I seem to slack off and they come back on. Finding it really hard to stick to anything.

I've tried Weight Watchers and low carb and haven't stuck to any of them. Although I've decided the only chance I have at sticking to something long-term is if it's maintainable for me which means everything in moderation.

I'm hoping I can get my head in gear and get it sorted this time as I just seem to be going in circles. I like running but to be honest, the excess weight really takes away 99% of the enjoyment as I just feel so heavy and slow. I've re-joined a local gym that had a good offer on for membership so I'm planning to start going there and do cross-training to give my knees a rest and to keep my cardio fitness up. I'm probably going to do some leg weights initially to help my quads, and therefore my knees. I might eventually start doing upper-body weights again but we will see. I'm not a big fan of weights, but I love doing cardio.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭vibes23

@KKV i was exact same and for ages wouldnt use pool in my last gym but after a while i just thought F$%k this and started going. I just said to myself everyone in gym is looking to improve themselves and some need to do more then others, i got few looks at start considering the size of me i had bigger boobs then half the women!

Consider this its very short walk from dressing room to pool once your in pool no one will barely see u and when u get out have ur towel close so u can trow over your shoulders. after a while i bet you dont even bother.

Good look with it

@ seamus nice one for the story man

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I've always been into lifting weights so am a heavy enough weight, but at the start of the year I broke my leg so no training, I think for a while i started eating more than when I was lifting. So my weight ballooned to about 245lb i should be 195lb approx.

My leg was fully recovered but i was not really going on any diet(major sweet tooth) funny i got a kick start when watching an episode of the Simpsons where Mr Burns kept calling Homer 241, Homer was mad since that was his weight. :eek: I was heavier than Homer, so got on the diet and am down to about 210 so should be back to normal weight soon.

One of the problems I've seen both men and women have in loosing weight is alcohol and how one Friday night can derail their whole diet for the weekend and by Monday they are depressed and find it hard to get back into it. Luckily for me I've never been a drinker, so all I had to do was cut out the sugar, but there are no social negatives with this, avoiding the pub for others is very hard.

Good luck to all trying to cut the weight, I've found it hard so i sure as heck don't want to ever have to do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

I've always been into lifting weights so am a heavy enough weight, but at the start of the year I broke my leg so no training, I think for a while i started eating more than when I was lifting. So my weight ballooned to about 245lb i should be 195lb approx.

My leg was fully recovered but i was not really going on any diet(major sweet tooth) funny i got a kick start when watching an episode of the Simpsons where Mr Burns kept calling Homer 241, Homer was mad since that was his weight. :eek: I was heavier than Homer, so got on the diet and am down to about 210 so should be back to normal weight soon.

One of the problems I've seen both men and women have in loosing weight is alcohol and how one Friday night can derail their whole diet for the weekend and by Monday they are depressed and find it hard to get back into it. Luckily for me I've never been a drinker, so all I had to do was cut out the sugar, but there are no social negatives with this, avoiding the pub for others is very hard.

Good luck to all trying to cut the weight, I've found it hard so i sure as heck don't want to ever have to do it again.

Without a doubt the beer is the killer. Was doing my routine around January, maybe losing a pound a week and decided to give up the drink for a month. Went down 13 pounds in 3 weeks doing what i'd be doing before without the drink!

I would drink a pretty large amount when i'm out and that coupled with my eating habits when hungover, its an absolute disaster for me.

edit: that simpsons quote has gotten under my skin before too! haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Hi OP.

I weighed myself there today and it came up as 19 stone 2 pounds. Just 6 weeks ok I weighed in at an all time high of 20 stone 6. When I started college I was a little over 17 stone, and largely maintained that weight for the last 7 or so years. I was always overweight by a couple of stone throughout school, but it really accelerated in the last couple of years. I know I'm a LONG way off my ideal weight (13 stone or so - I'm 6 ft 2 and naturally broad) Presumably like you I went through a lot of false dawns, but the biggest realisation for me was when I went to the bother of buying a weighing scale and nearly having a heart attack when I weighed myself. I was sure I was around 18 stone or so. Didn't think that things had gotten so bad.

I've found that maintained a weight loss of 3 pounds a week doesn't need to be too difficult. You don't need to live a spartan lifestyle, or overly deny things to yourself. But the following are very important:

*Track every calorie you take in- right down to the cheeky choc digestive you have at teatime. Add it all up and be true to yourself. When I'm in the gym and trying to meet one of my personal targets I mentally clock up all I've eaten that day and work out roughly how many calories I've taken. Its very good for motivation.

*Go to the gym, and often. You won't snack nearly as much if you've spent an hour doing relatively intense cardio exercise. You also feel much better in yourself and get a great natural high. I don't experience many sugar cravings since I started going to a gym.

*Replace white bread with high fibre varieties or the wholegrain stuff (Mc Cambridge's is lovely). The calorie difference isn't all that much despite the junk science out there, but in general white bread is just poison. Also, go from full fat to low fat milk. Make a few small changes to your diet, replace one or two high calorie products with middling or low calorie ones and you'll notice a huge change pretty quickly.

**Keep the faith brotha'! Us fat dudes need to stick together. Long way to go, and sure we will struggle along the way at times but ultimately we'll feel better about ourselves (No more desperate searches for the largest pair of jeans in TK Max :pac:) and we'll likely live longer too.

Hope you're all keeping it going lads.

I'm doing very well. Very slow but very steady progress. I'm less than a week from my Aug 31st target of trying to hit 200lbs. If I do, I'll be down 29lbs since I started and only approx 18lbs from my Ultimate Goal (Although my Ultimate Goal is getting to 13 stone and then putting on approx 1 stone of muscle and being a proper 14 stone)

But this week ive REALLY noticed the difference. It's HUGE! I got a new job a couple of weeks ago and this week I wore one of my shirts for just the second time. I bought it in April for a Christening, it fit perfectly.

When I wore it the other day I looked in the mirror in work and realised it was MASSIVE on me! I met my mate after work who said "you look like your big brother loaned you that shirt. You look like a little boy!".

Everybody has been complimenting me and its great!

So for anyone who thinks they are running in place, you're not, its just difficult to notice the difference at first. Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Hope you're all keeping it going lads.

I'm doing very well. Very slow but very steady progress. I'm less than a week from my Aug 31st target of trying to hit 200lbs. If I do, I'll be down 29lbs since I started and only approx 18lbs from my Ultimate Goal (Although my Ultimate Goal is getting to 13 stone and then putting on approx 1 stone of muscle and being a proper 14 stone)

But this week ive REALLY noticed the difference. It's HUGE! I got a new job a couple of weeks ago and this week I wore one of my shirts for just the second time. I bought it in April for a Christening, it fit perfectly.

When I wore it the other day I looked in the mirror in work and realised it was MASSIVE on me!
    I met my mate after work who said "you look like your big brother loaned you that shirt. You look like a little boy!".

So for anyone who thinks they are running in place, you're not, its just difficult to notice the difference at first. Keep it up!

Ah nothing like that feeling :)

Last summer, I won a belt on a golf outing... but the box was mislabelled and rather than an 'XL' belt, I got a Medium belt in an XL box... at first I was going to bring it back when I got a chance - as I could only fit the belt itself around me and could barely get the catch in the very first hole (alottt of breathing in!) but then I said "F*ck it, let's see if I can get into it in a few months, for the craic" etc etc

I now wear it on the 3rd or 4th hole and it puts a smile on my face everytime I put me trousers on! :)

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Ah nothing like that feeling :)

Last summer, I won a belt on a golf outing... but the box was mislabelled and rather than an 'XL' belt, I got a Medium belt in an XL box... at first I was going to bring it back when I got a chance - as I could only fit the belt itself around me and could barely get the catch in the very first hole (alottt of breathing in!) but then I said "F*ck it, let's see if I can get into it a few months, for the craic" etc etc

I now wear it on the 3rd or 4th hole and it puts a smile on my face everytime I put me trousers on! :)

Something similar happened to me. I used to live in Spain and while there I went to a shop where a very very VERY nice coat, in a Large, caught my eye! Now, at this point i was an XL but it was summertime so I was just gonna wear it at night and always open so it didn't matter too much if it was a bit small.

Anyway, when I tried it on it was WAY too small. It was closer to a Medium! But i bought it anyway (even though it STILL looked small when open!

Anyway, I only wore it once because i'm an idiot who couldn't just accept that it didn't fit me!

But after I started losing weight I decided to try it on and ever since i've been using it as a measuring stick! Just yesterday I tried it on and i'm actually not too far off fitting me! Once I get down to my goal weight it's gonna fit like a glove! I'll know i've really acheived something big! :)

Denerick wrote: »
    *Go to the gym, and often. You won't snack nearly as much if you've spent an hour doing relatively intense cardio exercise. You also feel much better in yourself and get a great natural high. I don't experience many sugar cravings since I started going to a gym.

I find this myself. I actually find that even a bit of casual cycling can kill off an urge to eat crap food. As little as 5 minutes of leisurely cycling tends to lift my mood and put me off the sweets that I wanted to eat just moments beforehand.

It's always just a challenge getting bothering to go out on the bike in the first place :(

I think my heaviest weight (that I've actually seen on a scale) was 18st 4lbs, and that was on 03/01/12. I did a bit of exercising around then but nothing that I stuck to, really.

With an impending holiday (my reason for hitting the gym again), I've started to take the weight loss seriously again and have been trying harder than before.

I started on Monday, June 18th and weighed myself that morning (17st 12lbs). My most recent weigh in was this Friday (the 24th) and I'm in at 16st 4lbs.

I'm no mathematician, now, but I think that's ten weeks with a loss of 22lbs? Nearly two stone, but not quite.

I keep letting go at weekends, and ruining it for myself. Every Monday to Friday afternoon I work hard at it and lose a decent chunk of weight. Then Friday evening to Monday I do nothing and eat crap, piling it all back on. :o

Do ye guys do cardio or weight training? I know cardio is the one that you should be prioritising, but I can't help but find it painfully boring a lot of the time. It's very tedious (especially in a gym, when you're practically looking at a clock for the duration of it). Much prefer weight training with a dash of cardio here and there (nothing too severe).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

MrStuffins wrote: »

I had a friend say the following to me last week: "I hope you don't mind me saying this, and I don't mean to insult ye, but you're looking an awful lot slimmer than before. You're looking well"

He said it as if I would deck him for saying it! I was delighted!:pac:

The only downside of the whole thing is buying new clothes...it's costing me a feckin fortune!! :D

On a more serious thought: I notice a lot of people here saying that they lost x amount, and then put it all back on. I did the same last year, but thankfully I now have it under control again. I think that having a goal or challenge beyond merely losing weight might be a good motivational idea. That way, if you don't lose weight in a particular week, or you hit a milestone, you don't give up in frustration or become complacent. I've decided I'm going to do the local Triathlon next summer. A few months ago I could barely break into a trot, and I can still barely sustain one, but the goal is pushing me further than I weight loss alone. I haven't told anyone either, as I hope it'll be a summer surprise!

See yiz all in RIo! :cool:;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Do ye guys do cardio or weight training? I know cardio is the one that you should be prioritising, but I can't help but find it painfully boring a lot of the time. It's very tedious (especially in a gym, when you're practically looking at a clock for the duration of it). Much prefer weight training with a dash of cardio here and there (nothing too severe).

Cardio only. My aim is to start doing weights and stuff when I hit the 17 stone mark. I was actually relatively muscular in my school days, around 16 or 17 years old. I owned weights and worked in a warehouse, carrying heavy stuff around all day. But I found that doing weights with all this weight on is almost counter productive. I know it builds lean muscle mass which improves your metabolism but I find that it just leaves you feeling weak without the benefits of getting your heart rate pumping (Also if you're overweight you kind of need to be doing aerobic exercise anyway, for health reasons if nothing else)

What music are you listening to? I find that electronic stuff like Daft Punk, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode and certain types of classical music work really well in an otherwise grim and mundane aerobic session. Something about the repetition and following the rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

vibes23 wrote: »
    IS there anyone on this forum who does or in the past weight 20+ stone. I'm currently weighing about 21 stone and at my heaviest I was 23.5 stone. I'm 30 yr old male. Non smoker, very occasional drinker no more then 6 pints per month or every other month.

For past 6 weeks ive been training 3-4 days a week. workout plan is 65% weights 35% cardio. My eating has improved by 100% in terms of what i eat and when I eat but still needs some work. But after 6 weeks i don't feel like im getting anywhere, Also to point out i have given up with scales.....my reasons?

1. I wana go by my clothes
    2. Go by my BMI

Also cause im lifting weights i do feel im putting on muscle so i find its not given me an accurate picture and I find when i focus on the number i lose faith.

I have alot of friends who are half my size and are very athletic, i have friends who take steroids and are huge in size and friends who wouldn't touch them and are in amazing shape and i have gotten advice from them all.

THE PROBLEM.....

Not one of the people i know has been in my position. Its very well for someone given u advice who has BMI of 15 or lower and never been classed as obese. So im dieing to talk to people who are in same both as me or were in past.

I have been on every diet in the world at least once, I aint looking for a diet im looking for help and few tips on a lifestyle change!

People who are/where clinically obese but have beaten the bulge!

Get on here and tell me your story how you do/did it, how you keep focus on the bad days and what worked for you.....

Need help, my head is wrecked at the mo feel im getting no where :confused:

Hey

20 stone at my biggest. Now 18 stone.

I do two things:

Diet: Paleo with Intermittent Fasting
    Exercise: Cycle to work. Bodyweight Exercises = Convict Conditioning - download it. I do them first thing in the morning - its fantastic.
    Feck the gym - its too expensive and not a sustainable lifestyle. If you haven't done it by thirty you wont. Always hated gyms.
    Keep it simple - dont get bogged down by percentage cardio to weights.

Eat like you're supposed to
    Move like you're supposed to.

Goals: Feel fit and in control.

Outcomes: Weight loss, feel stronger, look better, trimmer waste, stronger arms, leaner legs, compliments from colleagues, not be out of breath on the stairs, more confidence. Nothing in there about BMI or anything.

I don't buy for a second this s*** of putting on muscle but losing weight so can't tell. If you're fat you're fat. If you're ripped, you're ripped. Take pictures every two weeks and see the difference. Be honest with yourself. Accept your mistakes during the process but get up the following day and try harder. Follow the above, very simple rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I have found this thread to be really inspirational. I started my weight loss programme in the middle of July with a starting weight of 14 stone 11 pounds. This involved eating healthier and also doing the cross trainer for twenty minutes everyday and going for an 80 minute walk every day. I went on holidays for three weeks in the middle which meant diet and exercise went out the window. After weighing myself this morning I currently weigh 13stone 10 pounds. I have a long way to go before I reach my ideal weight and can wear a body-con dress but I'm happy with the progress. I have also decided to take up jogging and plan on going on my first jog this evening. I hope that by continuing to post in this thread it will motivate me and give me somewhere to talk about my experiences and the bumps I face along the road as well as look for advice. Hopefully in a few months I will be able to look at this post and see how far I've come!

One thing that did concern me was the mention of loose skin, does anybody know the best way to avoid this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

_Bella_ wrote: »
    One thing that did concern me was the mention of loose skin, does anybody know the best way to avoid this?

Yup, don't get fat in the first place.

I have a visible 6 pack throughout the day day and I still have some loose skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Glitter

_Bella_ wrote: »

Lose weight slowly, no more than 2lbs per week and you should be relatively okay. And start doing weights along with your cardio.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Interesting thread.

I suffer from lower back problems which spread into consistent hamstring and calf troubles. I had to pack in football and my only sport now is golf. Since hanging up my boots the weight has REALLY pilled on. I was able to keep it down with training but now its just gone horrendous.

I was never "fit" or "lean" but my height always made it visually ok and I was always able to put in a good shift for 90 mins on the pitch.

My girlfriend has joined a gym and I've been giving it thought too. The unfortunate part is that I keep seeing people mention diets, and to be honest I know my diet is bad.I had a friend with is a PT do a food diary with me for two weeks and he was shocked and disturbed and my food intake so its something I'm going to need to address.

Personally, I don't buy into the food stuff, as it changes to a new flavour of the month. One minute its granola, then its nuts then its something else. It seems a modern thing of the last few years people saying this and that is bad. I'm not sure if its advances in technology, or if its rubbish trying to peddle new foods. I would have never heard of "brown rice" and "duck eggs" and all this bollox when I was doing football training ( which was at a high level)

I'll probably need to look into it. Tonight will be the first night I've ever stepped into a gym, so its probable I wont know what I'm doing. Its a 5 day pass to see if I'm interested in going, so figured I'd just use the bikes and treadmill for a bit, see what happens.

Be interested in being pointed to a direction for some plans/suggestions on what the hell to do in a gym for someone like me. I'm not actually sure of my weight, I dont think its 20 st but I'd say its around 17-18 maybe, I've never felt the need to weight myself. Suprisingly enough I'm actually pretty happy and not too self conscious, its just a case of Im starting to feel some physical effects lately in terms of tiredness and fatigue.

Been itneresting reading the thread and I'll definitly keep reading :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

TheDoc wrote: »

Personally, I don't buy into the food stuff, as it changes to a new flavour of the month. One minute its granola, then its nuts then its something else. It seems a modern thing of the last few years people saying this and that is bad. I'm not sure if its advances in technology, or if its rubbish trying to peddle new foods. I would have never heard of "brown rice" and "duck eggs" and all this bollox when I was doing football training ( which was at a high level)

To be honest, I think people can be over the top with the whole food science thing. I realise that it can be be very valuable to know aboout it and implement changes to diet based on it, but I think that applies more to people with targets beyond mere weight loss. Sure, it would help with weight loss too, but I don't think it's any way essential. The crucial aspect is to consume less calories than you burn, and to eat in moderation. I think that should be more than enough for sustained weight loss. And it's a simple philosophy too. I mean, I seriously doubt if people 50 years ago were slim because they measured their carbs against their proteins or whatever. It might work for some people, but I think it unnecessarily complicates what should be a simple process, especially for those who are new to the whole area.

I agree

My weight gain has been literally as there is no physical activity for me for three years bar golf and the odd 5 aside game.

I dont actually eat alot or big portions. While the food I eat may be poor in terms of no greens or veg, I was fine when I was training twice a week with a game at the end of the week.

So I guess the point I was aluding to, is that most of the assistance so far has been massive focus on my diet and intake, simply put its been the same since I was like 10 and while I will make efforts to change it, I'm hunting for help for physical routines, but any PT etc. I go to wants me to overhaul my diet and simply puts its most likely not a runner. I can cut down on the coffee, the fizz and the treats, but asking me to change my meals after 20 years is a bit much when I'm not sold on the concept :)

So I guess the point I was aluding to, is that most of the assistance so far has been massive focus on my diet and intake, simply put its been the same since I was like 10 and while I will make efforts to change it, I'm hunting for help for physical routines, but any PT etc. I go to wants me to overhaul my diet and simply puts its most likely not a runner. I can cut down on the coffee, the fizz and the treats, but asking me to change my meals after 20 years is a bit much when I'm not sold on the concept :)

What do you mean by changing your meals? What kind of meals do you usually eat?

Breakfast is normally a bowl of cereal.
    Lunch is a wrap or sandwich
    Dinner is meat and a type of potato.

I know myself i snack WAY too much drink slot of fizz and energy drinks.

But when im reading stuff about duck eegs for breakfast and the likes i get a bit : / im a very picky eater which doesnt help.

I dont eat any veg or fish which is probsbly a big negative. And i barely touch fruit although i could definitly put more effort in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Breakfast is normally a bowl of cereal.
    Lunch is a wrap or sandwich
    Dinner is meat and a type of potato.

I know myself i snack WAY too much drink slot of fizz and energy drinks.

But when im reading stuff about duck eegs for breakfast and the likes i get a bit : / im a very picky eater which doesnt help.

I dont eat any veg or fish which is probsbly a big negative. And i barely touch fruit although i could definitly put more effort in there

Paleo! It is the way to go. Try the 30-day challenge.

• Advertisement

Well I've had a sh*te day. Have been chomping on chocolate all day and gone through a tub of Pringles. Feel like crap now (though I've been feeling miserable all day, which is what probably spurred me onto eating ludicrous amounts of junk food in the first place).

I'm away on a week's holiday on the 23rd of September. Quite looking forward to it, to be honest, and is my current motivation for weight loss. It's four weeks away. I weighed in this afternoon (before my food binge) at 16st 8lbs. I'm hoping that with enough effort and resilience I can drop to (at least) 15st 8lbs. Works out at half a pound a day (which should be easily achievable, in fairness, for a fella my size).

Do ye guys have any tips, tricks or advice for when you feel like going over the top on junk food?

Advertisement