Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obese to FIT (22stone +)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

so you ****ed up, no biggy - start fresh tomorrow and try to avoid whatever triggered your chomping today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Random wrote: »
    so you ****ed up, no biggy - start fresh tomorrow and try to avoid whatever triggered your chomping today!

Exactly. Right back on the horse... As Hanley says: "Next ball, next ball..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Exactly. Right back on the horse... As Hanley says: "Next ball, next ball..."

I think I'm imagining something completely different than what you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I had a sh*t weekend! Did no exercise, drank a RAKE LOAD of cider on Friday night! Massive chipper last night..... ugh!!

No big deal! Started again today. Ate inside my calories and burned about 700 cals exercising! Back in the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Orla K wrote: »
    I think I'm imagining something completely different than what you meant.

Saucy mare! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

TheDoc wrote: »
    Breakfast is normally a bowl of cereal.
    Lunch is a wrap or sandwich
    Dinner is meat and a type of potato.

I know myself i snack WAY too much drink slot of fizz and energy drinks.

But when im reading stuff about duck eegs for breakfast and the likes i get a bit : / im a very picky eater which doesnt help.

I dont eat any veg or fish which is probsbly a big negative. And i barely touch fruit although i could definitly put more effort in there

To be honest, I see nothing particularly wrong with that if your goal is weight loss. It's very similar to my own eating habits, except I might have some Italian or Mexican instead of the mate and sphuds some nights.

I'm not great for fruit and veg either, so I started buying smoothies. The Innocent ones are quite nice, but SuperValu do ones that are tasty and cheaper. It's an easy way of getting fruit into your diet.

Einhard wrote: »
    I'm not great for fruit and veg either, so I started buying smoothies. The Innocent ones are quite nice, but SuperValu do ones that are tasty and cheaper. It's an easy way of getting fruit into your diet.

This.

Im not a big Fruit & Veg man myself so Smoothies are the way I get them into my diet! Works a treat!

Also, the diet posted earlier is grand! I mean, I know it's not an athlete's diet but you're not an athlete. You're trying to lose weight. The best way to do that (imo) is to not torture yourself by not eating the things you like but by actually eating what you want, but less of it and making sure you're in a calorie deficit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I sneak a load of fruit in this outrageous fruit cocktail yoke I sometimes make. Get yourself one of the less calorie intensive bigpot yogurts (Some of the Glenisk/Glenillen products) make a big bowl of fruit (Chopped apple + banana + blueberries + grapes + Nectarine... I kid you not) and mix it all together. About 200g of yogurt. Its bloody gorgeous. I have that for my dinner some days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that sounds similar enough to my breakfast, which i got from this forum (or maybe nutrition and diet)

some porridge oats in a bowl, some mixed frozen fruit (like you'd use for smoothies) and some natural yoghurt. mixed all together it's a lot more delicious than you would expect and the frozen fruit adds a bit of bite to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

First night at the gym went well

Some work on the bike, treadmill and rowing machine went down nicely. Worked up a good sweat but thankfully no muscle pain this morning.

I've a five day pass so will go again tonight for an easier session. But have to say, was more enjoyable then I thought it would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

To be honest, I see nothing particularly wrong with that if your goal is weight loss. It's very similar to my own eating habits, except I might have some Italian or Mexican instead of the mate and sphuds some nights.

Sorry but imho there's quite a bit wrong with that.

Breakfast: It's a bowl of sugar. Sure it's called a cereal, but it's predominantly sugar. That's going to hold you back.

Lunch: Is essentially wheat with toppings

Dinner: Cut the potatoes and replace with veg and it will make a massive difference.

Snacking on fizzy drinks is also a major problem, because again that's just sugar and water really. Going to slow everything down and make it very difficult for you.

There are many (many many) people on here far more qualified than me who could give you a great steer but in general if you cut out sugar, wheat & starchy carbs you'll be on the right path and will notice big changes very quickly.

btw fruit is also a killer when you're trying to lose weight, the fructose can have significant limiting effects on weight loss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wtf
    if I can't have fruit what can I snack on? ive been having a grapefruit for breakfast, an orange or a pear for snack.. mebbe a banana in the afternoon and if I feel like snacking after dinner a nectarine or something else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

All this talk of no go foods is making my head dizzy. This supposed 'fructose' problem might be relevant for someone who is 12 stone and trying to lose half a stone, but for people who are above 16 stone the key is just burning more calories than your consume. Telling us we shouldn't eat fruit is absurd and backed up by quite spurious science, sorry. As long as you incorporate it into your daily calorie intake you will be fine (Some fruits are surprisingly calorie rich)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭nowyouresix

Hey there.....I was previously 17st10lbs, now am 11st. 5ft7 female. I lost it by exercise and watching what I ate....nothing crazy, but one thing I did was to reverse my eating. I had a big breakfast of porridge and a banana, a medium lunch...turkey or tuna salad-no mayo etc, and an orange, and a small tea in the evening-usually something with protein. No eating after 6pm. It took a good while, but was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Denerick wrote: »
    All this talk of no go foods is making my head dizzy. This supposed 'fructose' problem might be relevant for someone who is 12 stone and trying to lose half a stone, but for people who are above 16 stone the key is just burning more calories than your consume. Telling us we shouldn't eat fruit is absurd and backed up by quite spurious science, sorry. As long as you incorporate it into your daily calorie intake you will be fine (Some fruits are surprisingly calorie rich)

By all means carry on so. You've clearly done your research, so who am I to argue.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Second night down, did the same routine, feeling good.

Nothing aching or paining, I've always been good with wrmups and warmdowns to avoid the inevitable fatigue and aches

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Iago wrote: »
    Sorry but imho there's quite a bit wrong with that.

Breakfast: It's a bowl of sugar. Sure it's called a cereal, but it's predominantly sugar. That's going to hold you back.

Lunch: Is essentially wheat with toppings

Dinner: Cut the potatoes and replace with veg and it will make a massive difference.

I agree that these aren't the best things to eat when you're losing weight, but they won't have a significant impact as long as they are eaten in moderation and with an eye towards calories deficit. The poster stated that he wasn't going to change the habits of a lifetime, and I was pointing out that his diet isn't all that bad. Could it be better? Sure. Is it going to hamstring his efforts to lose weight? Hardly.

I think that too much focus on the minutiae of dietary science can have an off putting affect on those who are new to the scene, especially those who are quite overweight.

I think that too much focus on the minutiae of dietary science can have an off putting affect on those who are new to the scene, especially those who are quite overweight.

That's how I feel about the process, too. I recently made a thread in the Food and Nutrition forum and just got lecture after lecture. Completely put me off the forum altogether (and I'm no more intelligent on the world of diet than I was before).

Can I ask ye guys, do any of you bother with protein drinks or the likes? Was in the gym this morning and some guy was going on about them and how amazing they are (and he was in better shape than me, so... although that's not necessarily difficult to achieve).

I'm gymming twice a day and cycling a lot, too. For the last month I've been working my bollocks off with it and this is my fifth week. However, I'm finding that for Monday and Tuesday of this week, I've had no enthusiasm whatsoever for doing anything (and this is after a weekend of doing nothing, when I'd normally be looking forward to getting going again).

Guy I was talking to reckons I was just too eager and have worn myself down, and that protein drink, taken regularly, could help my body recover quicker between workouts to allow me to be able to get back into the swing of things quicker.

But I've always looked at protein shakes and the likes as a gimmick/novelty that don't actually do anything?

That's how I feel about the process, too. I recently made a thread in the Food and Nutrition forum and just got lecture after lecture. Completely put me off the forum altogether (and I'm no more intelligent on the world of diet than I was before).
    Because the stickies are there. You said yourself you'd sooner start a few threads than read the information already there.
    Can I ask ye guys, do any of you bother with protein drinks or the likes? Was in the gym this morning and some guy was going on about them and how amazing they are (and he was in better shape than me, so... although that's not necessarily difficult to achieve).
    It's extra calories. Unless you're lifting properly there's almost definitely no need for protein shakes while trying to lose weight.
    I'm gymming twice a day and cycling a lot, too. For the last month I've been working my bollocks off with it and this is my fifth week. However, I'm finding that for Monday and Tuesday of this week, I've had no enthusiasm whatsoever for doing anything (and this is after a weekend of doing nothing, when I'd normally be looking forward to getting going again).

Guy I was talking to reckons I was just too eager and have worn myself down, and that protein drink, taken regularly, could help my body recover quicker between workouts to allow me to be able to get back into the swing of things quicker.

But I've always looked at protein shakes and the likes as a gimmick/novelty that don't actually do anything?
    Have you lost much weight? Gymming twice a day is almost definitely too much, if you're doing it properly an hour and a half 4-5 times a week is easily enough. Again, the information is in the stickies.

Iago wrote: »
    By all means carry on so. You've clearly done your research, so who am I to argue.

Best of luck with it.

I think you're both right.

Like, if someone wants to lose weight and get healthy, of course they will have to eat only healthy food and watch their calories!

However, if you are fat and used to eating junk all the time, then it's very difficult to all of a sudden change every single thing about your diet and eating stuff you hate all the time. THis is why so many people fail.

However, if your goal is to lose weight and you can eat foods you like while doing it, then why not? That's how i've been doing it anyway! And it's working!

I know had I just changed every thing at once and stopped eating the things I like, i'd have failed and I wouldn't have made the progress I did.

• Advertisement

Because the stickies are there. You said yourself you'd sooner start a few threads than read the information already there.

It's not that I don't appreciate or respect the time that went into making the stickies, but I find sticky threads (in general) tend to become so overloaded with information that they make themselves unusable.

It's extra calories. Unless you're lifting properly there's almost definitely no need for protein shakes while trying to lose weight.

Well I wasn't sure, so I just thought I'd ask. I didn't think protein shakes would have much in the way of calories.

Have you lost much weight? Gymming twice a day is almost definitely too much, if you're doing it properly an hour and a half 4-5 times a week is easily enough. Again, the information is in the stickies.

I'm down about 20lbs in ten weeks (there or thereabouts) which is a respectable enough effort, I feel. I've had a couple of poor days along the way (weekends ruin me) but during the weeks, and when I'm at the gym and such, I do take it pretty seriously and try to work hard at it.

Well I wasn't sure, so I just thought I'd ask. I didn't think protein shakes would have much in the way of calories.

I started taking Protein shakes as part of my weight loss! I started doing bodyweight exercises on a regular basis so I could (in theory) lose weight and not have whatever muscles I had waste away.

Anyway, I can tell you that in just 4 weeks I could notice that, even though I was losing weight, I was actually making gains as far as muscle goes! I wasn't doing anything strenuous but I gained 1 inch on my bicep in a month if that helps (i'm not sure if that's any good)

I was taking the shakes with milk, 25g of powder with milk was about 330cals or so. However, then I started swallowing it with water and it was only about 85cals if i'm not mistaken!

Also, it tasted delicious. I got Mint-Choc from MyProtein and it's like drinking a Mint Aero :)

I'm down about 20lbs in ten weeks (there or thereabouts) which is a respectable enough effort, I feel. I've had a couple of poor days along the way (weekends ruin me) but during the weeks, and when I'm at the gym and such, I do take it pretty seriously and try to work hard at it.
    Lad, 20 lbs in 10 weeks is super! Congratulations!!

It's not that I don't appreciate or respect the time that went into making the stickies, but I find sticky threads (in general) tend to become so overloaded with information that they make themselves unusable.

I'm fairly sure it'll be mentioned somewhere the protein is very calorific. Burn a peanut some time, takes a good bit to get going but it's pretty cool. There's nothing wrong with protein when trying to lose weight but if the rest of your diet is poor and you just lob in extra calories on top then it's not going to help. Also a lot of them are packed full of carbs.
    You're doing pretty well but going twice a day and busting your balls and "only" (easy for me to say) losing 2 pounds a week seems pretty strange.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I started taking Protein shakes as part of my weight loss! I started doing bodyweight exercises on a regular basis so I could (in theory) lose weight and not have whatever muscles I had waste away.

Anyway, I can tell you that in just 4 weeks I could notice that, even though I was losing weight, I was actually making gains as far as muscle goes! I wasn't doing anything strenuous but I gained 1 inch on my bicep in a month if that helps (i'm not sure if that's any good)

I was taking the shakes with milk, 25g of powder with milk was about 330cals or so. However, then I started swallowing it with water and it was only about 85cals if i'm not mistaken!

Also, it tasted delicious. I got Mint-Choc from MyProtein and it's like drinking a Mint Aero

That's interesting. I may have to try one out. See what I think of it. I suppose I'll hear all sorts of conflicting reports so may aswell try it for myself.

That's pretty good progress you're making, by the way. Do you measure yourself regularly (or is the one inch comment more of a "looks one inch bigger" rather than an actual measurement?).

Reason I ask is cos I got measurements taken at the start of the year when I was getting into the whole fitness thing for the new year (I lasted about a fortnight at it ) and I've been meaning to get them redone again at the end of next week (something to work towards).

I'm fairly sure it'll be mentioned somewhere the protein is very calorific. Burn a peanut some time, takes a good bit to get going but it's pretty cool. There's nothing wrong with protein when trying to lose weight but if the rest of your diet is poor and you just lob in extra calories on top then it's not going to help. Also a lot of them are packed full of carbs.

Well I'm trying to keep to a low-calorie diet. I succeed when I'm busy, but when I've any kind of downtime or boredom at all I tend to eat crap.

You're doing pretty well but going twice a day and busting your balls and "only" (easy for me to say) losing 2 pounds a week seems pretty strange.

My first week of hard working out, in the first four days, I lost 8lbs (monday afternoon to friday afternoon). In the second Mon-Fri afternoon period, I was down 6lbs. On the third one; 4lbs. That's over a stone in three weeks. Amazing progress, I'm sure we'll all agree.

It was an extremely low calorie diet, with two gym sessions and 90 minutes of cycling a day.

Unfortunately, it was the Friday - Monday (weekend) period that killed it each and every time for me. I lost 8lbs > Put on 6lbs. Lost 6lbs > put on 5lbs, etc. so I just kept undoing my hard work over and over.

Became extremely frustrating, but now I've decided that I'm only 24 days from my holiday (3 weekend periods) so no more weekend nonsense. I reckon that, with enough effort, I can drop (at least) a stone in the next 3.5 weeks.

The lowest weight I've seen on a scale (since I was originally that weight and was ballooning out) was two years ago (fitness phase) and was 15st 10lbs. My aim is to beat that. Even by one pound. My weigh-in today was 16st 6lbs, so It should be very easily achievable if I can cop on and put the effort in (and although I'd like to think otherwise; I have absolutely no excuse to not beat it).

That said, one thing I've enjoyed looking at and that kept me motivated during my "getting stuck in" period, was a SparkPeople thread, that maybe some of ye will like to browse through.

It's called "what's your favourite NSV?" (non-scale victory). I find it pretty inspiring;

http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/messageboard.asp?imboard=33&imparent=27763273

Sorry, I'm rambling now.:o

That's interesting. I may have to try one out. See what I think of it. I suppose I'll hear all sorts of conflicting reports so may aswell try it for myself.

That's pretty good progress you're making, by the way. Do you measure yourself regularly (or is the one inch comment more of a "looks one inch bigger" rather than an actual measurement?).

Reason I ask is cos I got measurements taken at the start of the year when I was getting into the whole fitness thing for the new year (I lasted about a fortnight at it ) and I've been meaning to get them redone again at the end of next week (something to work towards).

When I started losing weight I bought a measuring tape from eBay, cost me a couple of euros. I weigh myself each week and I get my brother to help me out and take my measurments every 4 weeks.

Every 4 weeks might be a bit much but that's the habit i've gotten into. So it was an actual inch I gained.

The biggest was my calves. From all the walking they've become HUGE!! So much so that all of my jeans are stupidly tight around the calves :o

Started at 229lbs........

I've roped my mate into this with me and he lost a stone in TWO WEEKS, he's a freak! But myself, him and a load of ther mates are going on a lads weekend at the end of August and he challenged me that I couldn't hit 200lbs by Aug 30th!

I reluctantly took the challenge. I'm now 213lbs. It'll be tough work but i'm gonna give it a go!

Boom!

weightfu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Boom!

weightfu.jpg

Yay!! I've just read the entire thread and I'm so happy for you!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Boom!

weightfu.jpg

Big congrats.

Boom!

weightfu.jpg

Congratulations! Even the scale is smiling. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A peanut (and other nut or nut-like foods) are high in calories because of their high fat content, not their high protein content.

Protein has 4 calories per gram, same as a carbahydrate (while fat is 9 calories per gram).

A protein shake (as part of an overall solid diet) is a calories efficient way of increasing your protein intake as carbs/fats are kept to a minimum.

Advertisement