Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling with dogs

• 13-07-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

anyone have any idea how far we should be able to cycle with Lexi for? She is a 15kg Staffie cross. She is impossible to tire out by walking and we cant let her off lead. Should we start small and build up? Also all her running is on the road as we have no beaches nearby, is this bad in the longrun for her joints? Maybe we should add glucosamine supplement as well.

If anyone has any ideas on distance, please let me know :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tails-n-Trails/122148871492

Their web page is down at the moment but this is a great site for advice and meet up's.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Our two are 25kg and 35kg respectively and we've been gently cycling them along the canal in Dublin in the evenings for the last 6-7 months. Given their size and their ages (both under 18 months) we've stuck with the guideline our vet gave us of a max 5 min/month age/day so that works out at < 90 minutes per day for them currently. We generally cover from Drimnagh to the 11th lock and back again in that time with a couple of rest breaks in the process, a distance of roughly 5.5km each way. Both dogs seem quite happy with this, the dala more then our boxer/lab I will say, and neither has demonstrated any signs of stiffness or soreness after these 'runs'. This is however generally with the dogs running on the grass bordering the path itself so I'm not sure how much use this is to you : \

Advertisement