Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man City to play Limerick FC at Thomond Park

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Event was excellent. Incident was total disgrace. Match programme was disgrace too.

Racism is a huge underlying problem in Limerick. But that's for another time.

I thought Limerick didn't do too bad. They must have been very proud to play against the prem champs. Kids loved it too. Got a nice lim vs man scarf too. I'd love to see a lot more events at TP. I for one would go to any other decent events like that.

As for Clichy he played a great match so I guess he got last laugh too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Onto a few lesser mentioned positives...

The two under-7 matches at half-time (they were running simultaneously) were an absolute joy to watch. The whole crowd were cheering them everytime there was a goal chance as if we were at a World Cup final :D

One midfielder played a really decent ball through the defense to his team mate who was onside. The only problem was that he was too busy looking at his family in the crowd to realize the ball had been played to him!

There was also a 1-on-1. It took the kid about 20 secinds to run from halfway to the goal with everyone cheering him on. Eventually, he got a shot on target which the keeper saved to the disappointed "aahhhhss" in the crowd. Then the goalkeeper immediately spilled the ball allowing the striker to get another shot in. Superb entertainment, and honestly I enjoyed that 10 minutes more than alot of the actual game.

Also, at half time, they showed the mens 100m on the big screen. Dzeko and SantaCruz were in the centre circle and were like bould school children who were avoiding going back to class after the bell had rang to end lunch. They were keeping an eye out for Mancini as the race was going on in case they got caught. Eventually Mancini noticed them and they went back in smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Stab*City wrote: »
    Match programme was disgrace too.

A disgrace? its a programme, what were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Event was excellent. Incident was total disgrace. Match programme was disgrace too.

I thought Limerick didn't do too bad. They must have been very proud to play against the prem champs. Kids loved it too. Got a nice lim vs man scarf too. I'd love to see a lot more events at TP. I for one would go to any other decent events like that.

As for Clichy he played a great match so I guess he got last laugh too.

Meh, dunno about that. Crowd was rubbish (even leaving out the unfortunate element who turned up), only heard one sustained chant (from the East Stand FFS), game wasn't great either but perhaps I'm biased as I don't generally watch/enjoy football.
    Also, getting in was an issue, dunno if it's Thomond Park to blame or TicketMaster but plenty of tickets weren't scanning at all - I've been to 20+ matches in the new Thomond at this stage and I've never had an issue like that and there were a distinct lack of stewards at the turnstyles to manually scan and let people through.

For what it's worth, it seems a lot of Munster fans weren't too impressed with the reputational damage done and who knows if Thomond Park Stadium will be keen on more football events like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

20k+ is a fine crowd for a friendly imo. It proves if you had a Man Utd/Liverpool team over it would probably sell out, Munster not being happy is understandable but the fact remains they need as many events in TP as they can get. No concerts this year and with Munster being in Leinsters (and Ulster maybe?) shadow they will be left with a lot of empty seats for a lot of games again this year.

• Advertisement

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    20k+ is a fine crowd for a friendly imo. It proves if you had a Man Utd/Liverpool team over it would probably sell out, Munster not being happy is understandable but the fact remains they need as many events in TP as they can get. No concerts this year and with Munster being in Leinsters (and Ulster maybe?) shadow they will be left with a lot of empty seats for a lot of games again this year.

Don't want to drag this off topic but Munster don't make money from TP - I believe Munster technically rent TP from Thomond Park Stadium Ltd. (who are jointly owned by the Munster Branch and the IRFU) and Munster would get a payment from TPS if they make a profit, a payment that goes to pay off the IRFU's loan for the rebuilding of TP. I think!

Besides, a new season with a small clear-out of players and a new coaching staff (about frigging time!) will, I hope, mean more bums on seats.

They do need to get more events in: concerts, conferences, other sports but if they get bad press, it'll hurt them getting other events in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What study are you basing that view on or are you just throwing out generalisations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    A disgrace? its a programme, what were you expecting?

Well I wasn't expecting the ads section of the limerick post for 4€

I'm basing my view on personal experience as regards racism in Limerick. We enjoyed the event I guess probably because I was actually more interested in the game than the amount of a certain element that was present.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

lads there only one reason they cant act on it, its because the Irish Law is an ass, that's why the country is in the state it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

As someone who had a pop at the various Limerick media earlier in the thread, I have to say well done to the Chronicle for their headline today. Was exactly the kind of headline I hoped to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Cossax wrote: »
    Meh, dunno about that. Crowd was rubbish (even leaving out the unfortunate element who turned up), only heard one sustained chant (from the East Stand FFS), game wasn't great either but perhaps I'm biased as I don't generally watch/enjoy football.
    Also, getting in was an issue, dunno if it's Thomond Park to blame or TicketMaster but plenty of tickets weren't scanning at all - I've been to 20+ matches in the new Thomond at this stage and I've never had an issue like that and there were a distinct lack of stewards at the turnstyles to manually scan and let people through.

For what it's worth, it seems a lot of Munster fans weren't too impressed with the reputational damage done and who knows if Thomond Park Stadium will be keen on more football events like that.

so why did you go to game then if you dont watch / enjoy football :confused: lets be honest of the 20,000 fans there 19,000 plus did not support man city or limerick probally just went along to see premier league players & man city so it was always going to be hard to get any great atmosphere going as for game not being great you are talking about a multi millon pound team playing a part time team in the 2nd division league in ireland so no surprise about quality of game. i have been at plenty of games in thomond when munster playing at the atmosphere / crowd have been poor, also the policy for most rugby games is for spectators to manually scan themselves in to ground at a least one turnstile on all entrances

well its not up to the munster fans to decide, if they want thomand park to survive they need other functions going on there and that includes soccer, heres one for the munster supporters that dont like soccer on there, maybe they should go to the magners league games and support that then maybe they wouldnt need soccer to be played there.

also I heard if Limerick get promoted to the premier div, they will be using Thomand park as the markets field and Jackman park are not up to premier standard

afro man wrote: »
    so why did you go to game then if you dont watch / enjoy football :confused: lets be honest of the 20,000 fans there 19,000 plus did not support man city or limerick probally just went along to see premier league players & man city so it was always going to be hard to get any great atmosphere going as for game not being great you are talking about a multi millon pound team playing a part time team in the 2nd division league in ireland so no surprise about quality of game. i have been at plenty of games in thomond when munster playing at the atmosphere / crowd have been poor, also the policy for most rugby games is for spectators to manually scan themselves in to ground at a least one turnstile on all entrances

I wanted to support Thomond Park and by extension, Munster.

I've been to Thomond dozens of times and can't remember a game where there was such a lack of atmosphere, maybe the Munster u20s game v Ulster u20s a few years ago which was a trial run for opening the full ground up.

The issue was the turnstyles weren't manned by stewards with hand scanners, as they often are at rugby games just in case (certainly on the West Terrace). Thus people who couldn't scan in via the turnstyles weren't able to use it at all and had to go to a gate.
    Beaver1 wrote: »
    well its not up to the munster fans to decide, if they want thomand park to survive they need other functions going on there and that includes soccer, heres one for the munster supporters that dont like soccer on there, maybe they should go to the magners league games and support that then maybe they wouldnt need soccer to be played there.

also I heard if Limerick get promoted to the premier div, they will be using Thomand park as the markets field and Jackman park are not up to premier standard

I'm a season ticket holder so you might want to address that whinge at someone else.
    It's not been the Magners for a season, it's the RaboDirect Pro12 now.

Yeah, the fans that support the sport that owns the stadium wouldn't have any influence on the decision for the potential for more football games being held there after a internationally reported incident of racism. :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised somehow if that happened, even only opening the terraces it'd seem like an expensive undertaking - a little over 600 odd people on terraces that handle 11k surely wouldn't cover costs. Even if you only opened one of the ET/WT, that's still 4k or more spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Beaver1 wrote: »

It's Thomond

I'm a season ticket holder so you might want to address that whinge at someone else.
    It's not been the Magners for a season, it's the RaboDirect Pro12 now.

Yeah, the fans that support the sport that owns the stadium wouldn't have any influence on the decision for the potential for more football games being held there after a internationally reported incident of racism. :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised somehow if that happened, even only opening the terraces it'd seem like an expensive undertaking - a little over 600 odd people on terraces that handle 11k surely wouldn't cover costs. Even if you only opened one of the ET/WT, that's still 4k or more spaces.

that statement is at the 10,000 so called fans that dont go to the Magner league games. maybe if they did Thomand park wouldnt rely on the soccer,

also there was 1 raciest at the game out of 20,000 and yes 1 is 1 too many and no-one condones that. should soccer be stopped because of 1 person and the story on the Limerick supporters page on facebook is that he is not even Irish let alone from Limerick,.

if soccer is stopped because of 1 ejit, then this raciest has won and probably achieved his goal, what ever that was because he brought the banana to the stadium for the purpose of throwing it on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The Beaver makes a 'Dam' good point!

Ask the average 'rugby mad' Munster fan with the Munster socks, headband, jocks and matching kids jersey what an AIL match is and you'll see one confused little consumer!!!

- Same cnuts can be heard yelping through place kicks in the new Thomond Park now too unfortunately :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know why this is going down the lines of complaining about people shouting during place kicks in a rugby match, but I thought I'd throw in my own 2 cents.

Limerick has a brilliant sporting tradition, in fact I would go as far as to say that it's probably the most sporting mad city in the country, we've Munster rugby, a brilliant junior soccer setup, 2 competitive GAA teams, a horse and greyhound track, all of which make up the city and it's people. 1 numpty going to a match with the sole purpose as to try to be "funny" shouldn't distract from the fact that this was a great occasion, a great show put on by the organizers and something that should be encouraged to be repeated over and over. Personally I can't fathom what kind of imbicile would think it a good idea to throw a banana at someone, it might have been a good idea over 30 years ago when someone did it to John Barnes, if you want to try something, think up something original.

In regards to some other gripes that people are coming out with, most of these preseason friendlies are competitive for the first hour and then the flood gates open cause both teams empty the benches and that means the stronger team normally finishes the stronger, Man City has a team full of internationals who are just back from the European Championships so they would have taken the game more seriously than normally. Programs for events like this are usually ~70% advertising as it's a great way for the club to make money, go to every business in town and get a couple of quid off them for an ad is a great money making spinner, if you thought it was bad at this game I wouldn't recommend picking up a lot of local GAA programs, usually they have 2 pages of team news, 1 page of county board notices, the front page and then 4 pages of ads.

I just hope that the events from this games doesn't mean that other teams don't come to Limerick for games, it'd be a shame to have the actions of an individual impact the whole area.

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't know why this is going down the lines of complaining about people shouting during place kicks in a rugby match, but I thought I'd throw in my own 2 cents.

Limerick has a brilliant sporting tradition, in fact I would go as far as to say that it's probably the most sporting mad city in the country, we've Munster rugby, a brilliant junior soccer setup, 2 competitive GAA teams, a horse and greyhound track, all of which make up the city and it's people. 1 numpty going to a match with the sole purpose as to try to be "funny" shouldn't distract from the fact that this was a great occasion, a great show put on by the organizers and something that should be encouraged to be repeated over and over. Personally I can't fathom what kind of imbicile would think it a good idea to throw a banana at someone, it might have been a good idea over 30 years ago when someone did it to John Barnes, if you want to try something, think up something original.

In regards to some other gripes that people are coming out with, most of these preseason friendlies are competitive for the first hour and then the flood gates open cause both teams empty the benches and that means the stronger team normally finishes the stronger, Man City has a team full of internationals who are just back from the European Championships so they would have taken the game more seriously than normally. Programs for events like this are usually ~70% advertising as it's a great way for the club to make money, go to every business in town and get a couple of quid off them for an ad is a great money making spinner, if you thought it was bad at this game I wouldn't recommend picking up a lot of local GAA programs, usually they have 2 pages of team news, 1 page of county board notices, the front page and then 4 pages of ads.

I just hope that the events from this games doesn't mean that other teams don't come to Limerick for games, it'd be a shame to have the actions of an individual impact the whole area.

Why the hell would a racist gesture be a "good idea" at any time? A racist act/gesture is never a good idea and whether or not it was an original thing to do simply does not come into it.

If a tiny minority of ignorant people do something like what happened at Thomond Park, then those that do have a public voice (local media, local politicians etc etc) should always be quick to speak out against the action and be quick to ensure that non local media and non local people hear that such behaviour is not acceptable in Limerick and that it disgusts Limerick folk.

The action was done by an ignorant person, but the international media will put, as I said earlier in this thread, two things into the minds of those that read the story.

Limerick and Racism.

The act is done and cannot be changed, but it would be much better for Limerick if what gets reported turns into "Limerick disgusted at Racist act" rather than "Racist act in Limerick"

The John Barnes incident did a hell of a lot to highlight racism, and Digger's classy response on the pitch and the even classier way the man has discussed racism in the 24 years that followed the incident speaks volumes about the man.

For those unfamilar with the incident it involved another ignorant person, like the guy in Thomond Park, throwing a banana at John Barnes during a game whilst a group around him chanted "Everton are white". The throwing of a banana at a black player is basically an act to try an demean by comparing a black player to an ape.

On that day the banana was flung at Digger and rather than get angry, shout or anything else Barnes backheeled the banana off of the pitch as he jogged by. Basically treating the idiots as if they were not even there.

barnesbanana.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

I fail to see what all the fuss is about? Sure, one racist idiot has Limerick in the headlines for all the wrong reasons...

But we're talking about soccer here... The English Premiership winners. This sort of 'abuse', racial or personal is intertwined in the mentality of supporters up and down the length of England and Scotland.

Fans chant and write songs about players personal lives, skin colour, the loss of a baby, bedroom antics and a whole lot more. Movies have been made based on hooliganism... Major tournaments marred by misbehaviour.

And we're all getting our knickers in a twist over one fcuking idiot? We're worse for making this non story a story at all.

And as for the 'scum' element at our beloved thomond park? Wake up!!! Its everywhere nowadays. Thats the result of parenting this new generation. And it's visible all over this city and many more. broken glass from underage drinking, dog shīt from irresponsible owners, general smart comments and threatening behaviour up and down the length of the city. Lazy teens getting pregnant and signing up for the dole and allowances instead of working and being safe.

Christ I'm ranting now... This city, no... This country is gone to the absolute dogs!!!

I'm only 34 and I have younger brothers and cousins that have no idea what it is to earn money or respect. I fear for my young nieces and nephews and what's down the road for them...

Anyway... Here's Katy to distract me for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Hooked wrote: »
    Thats the result of not parenting this new generation.

I fixed that for you ;)

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    The Beaver makes a 'Dam' good point!

Ask the average 'rugby mad' Munster fan with the Munster socks, headband, jocks and matching kids jersey what an AIL match is and you'll see one confused little consumer!!!

- Same cnuts can be heard yelping through place kicks in the new Thomond Park now too unfortunately :(

I'm somewhat confused as to why someone who supports Munster has to support an AIL team?
    Does someone who supports a senior club have to support a junior club too?
    It'd be great for the financial health of AIL clubs if more people went to AIL club games but not everyone can get to two games in a weekend or is in an area served by a AIL club or feels it's value for money (€10 in to see some AIL games where it's two amateur to semi-pro teams in a field compared to €15 in to see two pro teams in a very nice stadium).

Anyway, getting very off topic here and don't want to bring the mod(s) down on me!

Hooked wrote: »
    I fail to see what all the fuss is about? Sure, one racist idiot has Limerick in the headlines for all the wrong reasons...

But we're talking about soccer here... The English Premiership winners. This sort of 'abuse', racial or personal is intertwined in the mentality of supporters up and down the length of England and Scotland.

Fans chant and write songs about players personal lives, skin colour, the loss of a baby, bedroom antics and a whole lot more. Movies have been made based on hooliganism... Major tournaments marred by misbehaviour.

And we're all getting our knickers in a twist over one fcuking idiot? We're worse for making this non story a story at all.

And as for the 'scum' element at our beloved thomond park? Wake up!!! Its everywhere nowadays. Thats the result of parenting this new generation. And it's visible all over this city and many more. broken glass from underage drinking, dog shīt from irresponsible owners, general smart comments and threatening behaviour up and down the length of the city. Lazy teens getting pregnant and signing up for the dole and allowances instead of working and being safe.

Christ I'm ranting now... This city, no... This country is gone to the absolute dogs!!!

I'm only 34 and I have younger brothers and cousins that have no idea what it is to earn money or respect. I fear for my young nieces and nephews and what's down the road for them...

Anyway... Here's Katy to distract me for a bit.

That is a very ignorant sounding comment and pretty offensive to be honest. I could make just as sweeping a generalisation about the Irish or supporters of one Irish league or another.

I hate to burst the bubble of any preconceived notion you might have about those that attend games in England or Scotland, but the vast majority don't shout racist abuse and the vast majority don't shout personal abuse during or after games.

I grew up in Liverpool, and started going to Liverpool FC games from a young age and continued to do so right up to now. I have yet to use a racist insult at a game and know that I will not in the future. I also don't get involved with chants about disasters or chants about player's wives or whatever. There are tens of thousands just like me in scores of grounds every weekend that the league goes on for. Yet you are happy to say that racist abuse is just something that is part of the mentality of being a footballer supporter in England.

The reason why racism and it's ilk stands out (be it in England, or Ireland) is because it is done by a minority and it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst groups of people who are not doing so. It should never be treated like it is not a big deal imho, and it should never be swept under the carpet or worse still be seen as acceptable in any way.

As to why what happened in Thomond Park should be a big deal. Well people go on about how great Limerick is a lot, or on about how great Limerick could be, but one racist idiot whose actions were getting into papers and onto tv station in a number of countries within hours of the final whistle has the potential to see Limerick and Limerick folk tarred with the one brush, much ion the manner that you have done with people like me who have grown up going to football matches in England. You were happy to say that racist abuse is "intertwined in the mentality of supporters up and down the length of England" and pretty much stereotype hundreds of thousands of people and people reading the report of the game in Limerick may just as easily decide to stereotype the good people of Limerick as having a racist undercurrent based on not fully knowing what they are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

I wanted to support Thomond Park and by extension, Munster.

I've been to Thomond dozens of times and can't remember a game where there was such a lack of atmosphere, maybe the Munster u20s game v Ulster u20s a few years ago which was a trial run for opening the full ground up.

The issue was the turnstyles weren't manned by stewards with hand scanners, as they often are at rugby games just in case (certainly on the West Terrace). Thus people who couldn't scan in via the turnstyles weren't able to use it at all and had to go to a gate.

cossax, i'm lost here how can going to watch a soccer match in thomond is supporting thomond park & munster :confused: the night was all about limerick fc & limerick as a city , we must have been to different rugby games then as if have been at a few were atmosphere was rubbish but will admit when its a good night the atmosphere is brilliant..

Advertisement