Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places In South Dublin You Miss

Options
  • 13-07-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

As kids our parents used to bring us out for 'tea' every Saturday evening and we would often go the the Dalkey Island Hotel. A bit kitsch but it was cool at the time. I remember sitting there one evening during a storm and the waves were rolling up over the bar windows.

Another haunt was the Killiney Court Hotel - used to play in the rockery out front. Both establishments are now apartment blocks.

Used to go on the hop from school and take the Dart out to Dun Laoghaire and go to the little waterpark thing they had there. Can't remember the name of it.

My first gig was Metallica in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in I think '88. The venue is now apartments too.

Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Ah, the Top Hat. I remember it as a roller disco back in the day. Life was simple then. Murray records in Stillorgan shopping centre - bought my first record there. I can't remember it - I may have blocked the memory due to poor music taste in my early days.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Another haunt was the Killiney Court Hotel - used to play in the rockery out front. Both establishments are now apartment blocks.

The Killiney Court Gone? thats where I first fing had me debs.

The Waterpark in Dun Laoighaire was Rainbow Rapids. I saw some recent photos of the inside - it's in bits now. Will see if I can find them.

Edit: Here ya go

http://www.abandonedireland.com/dlb_1.html

http://www.abandonedireland.com/dlb_2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

stimpson wrote: »
    The Killiney Court Gone? thats where I first fing had me debs.

The Waterpark in Dun Laoighaire was Rainbow Rapids. I saw some recent photos of the inside - it's in bits now. Will see if I can find them.

Edit: Here ya go

http://www.abandonedireland.com/dlb_1.html

http://www.abandonedireland.com/dlb_2.html

Rainbow Rapids - That's the one! ;)

I can see myself spending a bit of time on that abandoned Ireland site! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Dun Laoghaire sea swimming baths. The chattering knocked lumps out of my teeth after every visit when I was learning to swim there. Kids today don't know what icy, miserable misery means.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The baths
    The fun factory
    Johnnys Car Park (across from the library) was a playground run by nuns!

• Advertisement

And Fuller's Cafe, with its chocolate-and-walnut cake and proper tea made from tealeaves, in china pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Mrs Mellons Sweet shop in Dundrum, on the hill, across from the Garda station - now a jewellers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

All the green fields that have now been built on!

Here's another one:

On Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham, there was a venue called Green Acres, a lot of big bands would have played there back in the day. I was only ever in it as a kid with my folks in the early evening so never actually saw it in full flight.

The original Radio Nova was broadcast from here too. ;)

The Dark Lanes, the winding country lane with overarching trees bathing it in a deep green light, which led out past the Plunkett house at Larkfield, where the Volunteers trained for 1916, to the Green Fields. Now replaced by the semi-Ds of the Sundrive Road.

• Advertisement

Speaking of roads - I miss the old Brewery Road, Leopardstown Road, Sandyford area. I remember cycling up from Leopardstown to play pitch and putt in Stapaside. The approaches to Stepaside along Kilgobbin Road hasn't changed a whole heap, but they sure demolished anything that was part of Leopardstown Road or Hillcrest Road. Poor old Murphystown Road hasn't been the same for a long time. I often regret not getting my Dads old cine out (or maybe his huge analog camcorder) and recording the route before it went away.

Ah here, I'm all emotional for the old days now.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    Speaking of roads - I miss the old Brewery Road, Leopardstown Road, Sandyford area. I remember cycling up from Leopardstown to play pitch and putt in Stapaside. The approaches to Stepaside along Kilgobbin Road hasn't changed a whole heap, but they sure demolished anything that was part of Leopardstown Road or Hillcrest Road. Poor old Murphystown Road hasn't been the same for a long time. I often regret not getting my Dads old cine out (or maybe his huge analog camcorder) and recording the route before it went away.

Ah here, I'm all emotional for the old days now.

z

Brewery road is still there, albeit three times the width. Hillcrest road is pretty much unchanged. I have a pic somewhere of Stillorgan before they built the N11.

EDIT: Voila!
    stillorgan6063.jpg

Ah I know that Brewery Road is still there alright, but it's been very much modified since I was there. There's a photo somewhere showing two old ladies, stone walls and an 86 coming down it. I can't find it at the moment, but it's been on this forum before. As for Hillcrest Road, I thought it had been straightened, had the junctions relocated, etc . . .

z

zagmund wrote: »
    Ah I know that Brewery Road is still there alright, but it's been very much modified since I was there. There's a photo somewhere showing two old ladies, stone walls and an 86 coming down it. I can't find it at the moment, but it's been on this forum before. As for Hillcrest Road, I thought it had been straightened, had the junctions relocated, etc . . .

z

I know the pic you're talking about. Yeah, to be fair the Sandyford end of Hillcrest Road has been modified but the rest of it is pretty much untouched.

Found that pic:
    1980xxxx-d396.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Here's another one:

On Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham, there was a venue called Green Acres, a lot of big bands would have played there back in the day. I was only ever in it as a kid with my folks in the early evening so never actually saw it in full flight.

Where in Stocking lane was it- was it near where the car for the Hell fire club is?

And the beautiful little pier with the glass pavilion over it where the boat train used to go out on the rails up to the mailboat - Dun Laoghaire council sneakily knocked that recently, the swines.

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Where in Stocking lane was it- was it near where the car for the Hell fire club is?

Not that far, about 1km up from Scholarstown Road on the RHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.273859,-6.311844&spn=0.002165,0.006539
    It was there afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The Upper Glenageary Road end of Monkstown Farm and the Upper Glenageary Road have been completely and utterly butchered with the purchase and subsequent demolition of the golf club and half-assed construction of the housing in the area.
    Instead of a little roundabout, there's a multi-lane traffic light controlled junction and the drive up the hill where you were flanked on both sides by a grey wall and lovely trees is now an ugly scar with half-built housing estates on either side. :(

The old view is still on Google Maps but it's a lot different now. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Good point hero, lived on OP road there and tbh it really is a sad sight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Blackrock baths and high diving platforms.

There used to be water polo games played there during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Here's another one:

Not that far, about 1km up from Scholarstown Road on the RHS.

There's a house on Stocking Lane called Green Acres. Did it use to be a venue? Can't find any reference on Google to it being a venue at any stage

Tragedy wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Blakes Restaurant in Stillorgan was a great place I used to love going with the family when I was younger.

As was DeSelbys in Dun Laoghaire

But most of all....

THE PLAYWRIGHT in Blackrock! Loved that place so much for a drink and a carvery, and then TGI's bought the site and killed it off....

Blakes Restaurant in Stillorgan was a great place I used to love going with the family when I was younger.

As was DeSelbys in Dun Laoghaire

But most of all....

THE PLAYWRIGHT in Blackrock! Loved that place so much for a drink and a carvery, and then TGI's bought the site and killed it off....

Blakes! :eek:

My God - how could I have forgotten that. Had plenty a family dinner there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Had my Confirmation dinner in Blakes. Only time I was ever in the place but it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

In no particular order, here are a few places that I do miss in South Dublin:

1. Music City in Dun Laoghaire (now Elverys Sports). It was the biggest shop of it's kind for miles.
    2. Xtra-Vision in Dalkey (now Roberts Of Dalkey). I got years of enjoyment hanging out, buying and renting movies there. Plus, it was a great place to seek shelter from the rain.:D
    3. The Killiney Court Hotel. I had a pint there shortly before it closed. Such a pity that it was converted into apartments as it had huge potential for an excellent public amenity.:(
    4. The Killiney Towers Roundabout before the council ruined it.:mad:
    5. Bewley's in Frascati Shopping Center. Back in 2001, there was a stair case down to the basement and up to the restaurant which gave off a nice open feeling to the place. As well as that, there were some seats which gave customers a great view of Dublin Bay.
    6. In 1994, when I was 9 years old, I was gutted when they decided to close "Joy Stick" in Frascati Shopping Center. They used to sell games there back when the SNES and Sega Mega Drive where considered "state of the art":rolleyes:. I think it has been "The Beauty Store" ever since.
    7. The Fun Factory has been mentioned a few times in this thread. However, I will re-iterate that many a good time was had by me while it was open. The "Free Fall" was brilliant craic.
    8. Bambams in Stillorgan was a close second to The Fun Factory when it was situated behind the Texaco Garage. Mind you, the "Free Fall" in Bambams was only half the size I think. They also had a miniature cinema where they played Disney Movies mostly.
    9. Wally Wabbits was a leisure center in Dundrum, not too dissimilar to The Fun Factory and Bambams. While my memories of the place are now somewhat vague, they used to have these weird self propelled carts. Since then, Wally Wabbits and the PYE Factory have been engulfed by Dundrum Town Center. Nevertheless, Dundrum Town Center is awesome!:D
    OMG! I feel old!:)

Patrick - you just reminded me of this with your talk of Dundrum and the PYE Centre:

Dundrum Bowl! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Dundrum and Ballinteer before the the M50, various bypasses and the "Town centre" gutted the area. In particular:
    1. The old ballinteer road from Wesley to the View - a narrow, twisty tree lined country road.
    2. The "view" - a small granite cliff giving great views out over the area - until it was dynamited for the M50.
    3. The farms in the area - I think the last one sold up in the late 80's.
    4. Dundrum mainstreet before the bypass went in and the town centre ruined it.
    5. The 48A!

As a previous poster mentioned - I wished I had a camera to record all these lost sights back in the years.

• Advertisement

dogmatix wrote: »
    The "view" - a small granite cliff giving great views out over the area - until it was dynamited for the M50.

Where are you talking about, up the top of Kingston?

Advertisement