Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places In South Dublin You Miss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And the beautiful little pier with the glass pavilion over it where the boat train used to go out on the rails up to the mailboat - Dun Laoghaire council sneakily knocked that recently, the swines.

Be careful where you swing that handbag, the Harbour Company did that

It is amazing how much the whole DLR - South Dublin has changed even in 20 years, mainly due to the M50 and its tributaries I suppose

Ive just glanced through a few posts and theyve made me very nostalgic. Some things have changed for the better, many have not. The unforgiving footprint of the Celtic Tiger

I miss -

Dundrum Bowl - Saturdays defined

Stillorgan Park Hotel nightclub - It had many guises - Hollywood Nights, Deep etc but the craic was all the same

Dun Laoghaire events - The town used to be buzzing in the 80s, festivals, busy shops, regattas, motor racing. Used to have some decent boozers and clubs. Its dead on its feet now, junkies, nimbyism and Dundrum have killed it.

Record Shops - proper ones selling all the formats and stereo parts with knowledgable staff

The Deerpark Lounge in Clonskeagh - a million great nights - erased for apartments

In fact, any site at all that used to have or do something interesting or quirky before it was sold for development - welcome to blandsville

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Upper Glenageary Road end of Monkstown Farm and the Upper Glenageary Road have been completely and utterly butchered with the purchase and subsequent demolition of the golf club and half-assed construction of the housing in the area.
    Instead of a little roundabout, there's a multi-lane traffic light controlled junction and the drive up the hill where you were flanked on both sides by a grey wall and lovely trees is now an ugly scar with half-built housing estates on either side. :(

The old view is still on Google Maps but it's a lot different now. :(

Blame the greed of the Golf Club members and filthy lucre, they couldnt wait to get a developer in and to hell with the history of the club and geography of the area

In no particular order, here are a few places that I do miss in South Dublin:

1. Music City in Dun Laoghaire (now Elverys Sports). It was the biggest shop of it's kind for miles.
    2. Xtra-Vision in Dalkey (now Roberts Of Dalkey). I got years of enjoyment hanging out, buying and renting movies there. Plus, it was a great place to seek shelter from the rain.:D
    3. The Killiney Court Hotel. I had a pint there shortly before it closed. Such a pity that it was converted into apartments as it had huge potential for an excellent public amenity.:(
    4. The Killiney Towers Roundabout before the council ruined it.:mad:
    5. Bewley's in Frascati Shopping Center. Back in 2001, there was a stair case down to the basement and up to the restaurant which gave off a nice open feeling to the place. As well as that, there were some seats which gave customers a great view of Dublin Bay.
    6. In 1994, when I was 9 years old, I was gutted when they decided to close "Joy Stick" in Frascati Shopping Center. They used to sell games there back when the SNES and Sega Mega Drive where considered "state of the art":rolleyes:. I think it has been "The Beauty Store" ever since.
    7. The Fun Factory has been mentioned a few times in this thread. However, I will re-iterate that many a good time was had by me while it was open. The "Free Fall" was brilliant craic.
    8. Bambams in Stillorgan was a close second to The Fun Factory when it was situated behind the Texaco Garage. Mind you, the "Free Fall" in Bambams was only half the size I think. They also had a miniature cinema where they played Disney Movies mostly.
    9. Wally Wabbits was a leisure center in Dundrum, not too dissimilar to The Fun Factory and Bambams. While my memories of the place are now somewhat vague, they used to have these weird self propelled carts. Since then, Wally Wabbits and the PYE Factory have been engulfed by Dundrum Town Center. Nevertheless, Dundrum Town Center is awesome!:D
    OMG! I feel old!:)

Lol, are you 27? Not old. Although you do sound it. If you dont let it go about that flippin roundabout youll end up interred in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Lol, are you 27? Not old. Although you do sound it.

I'm only joking when I say that. It's a figure of speech. Hence, the smiley face!
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    If you dont let it go about that flippin roundabout youll end up interred in it

Hostile much?

Out of everything I posted, you chose a rather minute section of it and lashed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Was just talking to someone about old nightclub haunts:

Bull & Bear (Bar) Stillorgan Park Hotel
    Hollywood Nights / The Deep (SPH)
    Pink Panther - above Bolands Stillorgan (I think - before my time)
    Ziggys - Bakers Corner
    Paparazzi - Dun Laoghaire
    Mistys - above Lamb Doykes (before my time too)
    Marlays - Three Rock Hotel
    Club Apres - Kilternan Hotel

How many of these have you been to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

I remember queing for "back to the future 2" as a wee lad of six or seven.....god im old! They tore it down in 2007 :(

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~ccdublin/classic_gallery/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Was just talking to someone about old nightclub haunts:

Bull & Bear (Bar) Stillorgan Park Hotel
    Hollywood Nights / The Deep (SPH)
    Pink Panther - above Bolands Stillorgan (I think - before my time)
    Ziggys - Bakers Corner
    Paparazzi - Dun Laoghaire
    Mistys - above Lamb Doykes (before my time too)
    Marlays - Three Rock Hotel
    Club Apres - Kilternan Hotel

How many of these have you been to?

all except the pink panther...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Where are you talking about, up the top of Kingston?

Aye - it was across the grange road from Kingston. Don't know what is was officially called but all the local kids called it the view. This link to a late 19th century map shows it marked with a red cross.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,716686,725609,6,9

dogmatix wrote: »
    Aye - it was across the grange road from Kingston. Don't know what is was officially called but all the local kids called it the view. This link to a late 19th century map shows it marked with a red cross.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,716686,725609,6,9

There's actually a viewing point exactly there now still although I never noticed on in the old days!

Linky

I'm only joking when I say that. It's a figure of speech. Hence, the smiley face!

Hostile much?

Out of everything I posted, you chose a rather minute section of it and lashed out!

Yeah apologies on a re-read that sounds much more harsh than I meant it. I just meant its turning into your Moby Dick, life's too short

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Ballintyre Hall when it was just that!

Lark in The Park (Blackrock Park)

Top Hat Roller Disco/Skate City/Skateboard City

Murrays Records DL Shopping Centre

Murphy's and Ryan's shops, Ballybrack (for the 1/4 of cola cubes etc)

58 buses (coz you could jump off the back before the conductor gut your fare)

H Williams, Killiney SC

I could go on.....

Great thread by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Anyone remember Pat Quinn's club up in the Kiltiernan hotel (early 1970's) - basically an enormous playground and boating lake (which is still there). I can remember the opening day when they were giving free helicopter rides..

homer911 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Pat Quinn's club up in the Kiltiernan hotel (early 1970's) - basically an enormous playground and boating lake (which is still there). I can remember the opening day when they were giving free helicopter rides..

Born in 75 and only remember that area as a golf course.

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember the Pat Quinn Club, it was a big Communion dinner venue in the '70s. Then in the '90s it became Club Apres. Now that was some spot;)

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember the Pat Quinn Club, it was a big Communion dinner venue in the '70s. Then in the '90s it became Club Apres. Now that was some spot;)

Had many's the night in Club Apres in the 90's. Open 5 nights a week with £1.50 pints on Thursday & Monday. Bar open until 3am every night and later if you 'knew the lads' :)

What was the DJ's name - Richie I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

Blakes in Stillorgan but also the chicken restaurant that was there before it, I think it was the Swiss Chalet. I remember their red check tablecloths and the very exotic chicken in a basket.

The caves in the rocks in Deerpark, Mount merrion, rocks still there but caves have been filled in.

Stella cinema Mount Merrion and Ormonde cinema Stillorgan

Small local shops before supermarkets and Spar took over though most of them were probably manky.

Freedom as children to go out all day, play in fields that are now the luas line and stillorgan industrial estate

Seeing the jersey cows on the Upper Kilmacud Road

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

In no particular order, here are a few places that I do miss in South Dublin:
    1. The Killiney Towers Roundabout before the council ruined it.:mad:

Totally agree with you there. That roundabout is an utter ****ing joke. I can't help but shake my head every time I drive up to it.

Not only is it ugly as sin, completely stupid and a huge waste of money, but it's dangerous. Just yesterday I saw a cyclist almost get knocked down by a car who either didn't see him, or wasn't aware that he was stop in the middle of a roundabout and yield right of way.

It would have been an unfortunate accident, but I couldn't honestly have blamed the driver if an accident occurred. It's only a matter of time before someone is killed there.

I take it there was money that the council would have had to return at the end of the year, so rather than burning it or throwing it down the nearest toilet they went one step further and built that stupid thing.

Here's another venue that is still on the go but only an X-Ray of what it was in the day:

The Wicked Wolf!

My god that place was BANGING in the late 90's! Used to rock up around nine, have a few beers and a chat, then around 10.30 Rush would arrive and the lights would dim. Rush would crank up the volume, belt out the intro to some tune then stop. Place in darkness, everyone hyped, then BANG - tunes blaring, lights flashing, Bernard jumping out of the food lift out of his mind, place going wild. This would go on for a few hours then you either stayed as one of the late crowd or hit '92 and maybe came back later to powder your nose.

Crazy, crazy times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dose anyone remember the art deco Imco building on Merrion Road?

It was demolished in the mid to late 70's .

2eeihq9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

zagmund wrote: »
    Ah, the Top Hat. I remember it as a roller disco back in the day. Life was simple then.

Had many great nights in the Top Hat rollerskating-an awful pity there's no such venue now for kids.

The Forum cinema in Glasthule was another favourite of mine. I had a great aunt who lived very close to it and sometimes I'd call in before going to see a film. On many occasions she'd give us fairy cakes to bring to the cinema and of course myself and friends wouldn't be seen dead bringing cakes to the cinema so we'd dump them in the nearest bin once we rounded the corner. Ah... what sweet memories...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

brayblue24 wrote: »
    H Williams, Killiney SC

The Hobby Horse opposite it. The craze for giant (Goldorak?) japanese robots back in the early 80s, they had some display, drool inducing.

H Williams had a large facade of speckled shiny 'gravestone marble' (I don't know what the proper name for it is now), with their name in chiselled gold lettering, roughly where the off licence area is now.

Someone in there appreciated the beer cans with the Page 3 Stunners on them. A stacked 'altar like' pillar of them at the back (Tennents?) I was young and impressionable, I would linger..

Going up to Quaids (Killiney Hill) and having your Fizz Bombs retrieved by a hand turned tar black, by the newsprint. (..and not caring, to be honest)

There used to be a H Williams at the top of Dundrum too. Roughly where the Tesco petrol station is now. After that it was Quinnsworth then Crazy Prices. 'Crazy prices at Super Crazy Prices - don't you miss it!'

Splendour wrote: »
    The Forum cinema in Glasthule was another favourite of mine

Off the old open backed 58 on Lr Glenageary Rd., into McGovern's on the corner for sweets then down to the Forum.

Also the pre DART trains (the black and orange ones) that you could (and did) open the door windows and in the tunnel between Killiney and Dalkey you had to run from your friends to avoid a hiding coz those trains had no lights.

Sleith's bike shop in Dun Laoghaire and May's newsagents (one where o2 are now, the other near where McDonalds are now)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Splendour wrote: »
    Had many great nights in the Top Hat rollerskating-an awful pity there's no such venue now for kids.

There's a new Roller disco place on the long mile road my kids have been there for partys a few times and love it

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/spin-roller-disco-dublin

Anyone remember Captain Americas in Dun Laoghaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Luckycharm wrote: »
    There's a new Roller disco place on the long mile road my kids have been there for partys a few times and love it

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/spin-roller-disco-dublin

Have heard of that alright-it would be great to have something similar locally.

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Wasnt it called Captain Americas West to differentiate it from the one in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Does anyone remember the very small Gas Company theatre in Dun Laoghaire?
    Also the cinema in Blackrock that later opened as a sports shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

policarp wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the very small Gas Company theatre in Dun Laoghaire?
    Also the cinema in Blackrock that later opened as a sports shop?

Was the Gas company theatre upstairs in what is now Elverys?

I dont remember the cinema in Blackrock but i do remember an excellent fishing tackle and sports shop around where Cafe Java is now..

Advertisement