Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places In South Dublin You Miss

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

[*]In 1994, when I was 9 years old, I was gutted when they decided to close "Joy Stick" in Frascati Shopping Center. They used to sell games there back when the SNES and Sega Mega Drive where considered "state of the art":rolleyes:. I think it has been "The Beauty Store" ever since.

Was it '94 when that place closed?! :eek: I used to buy Amiga 1200 games there....one of the very few places outside of the city centre that sold Amiga games!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Who misses the pig farm on Newtownpark Avenue?!!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Was the Gas company theatre upstairs in what is now Elverys?

I don't remember exactly where it was. I was very young at the time, but AFAIR it was a very small theatre over the old Gas Co. showrooms opposite the Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you thinking of the Lambert puppet thearte In monkstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

policarp wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the very small Gas Company theatre in Dun Laoghaire?

Yes! I remember going to see a panto there with my youth club and one of the leaders had got them to drop in a few quips about the other leaders for a few extra chuckles from us. Happy memories!

This is the place that became Music City, and then Elvery's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Kingston Hill was a great hangout before the M50 was built and the view from the top of the water tower (pre-mobile phone masts too :mad:)

Marley's Night Club, Rathfarnham.

Faces Nightclub in Churchtown

Buying computer games in Mulveys Hardware in Dundrum :pac:

The Pye Factory in Dundrum and the old Castle.

The Blue House, Ballinteer.

The list goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

As indicated above - Blakes was "The Swiss Chalet" originally. I remember getting chicken there and thinking it was fierce sophisticated. Something about a whole range of different sauces.

The Stillorgan Park Hotel was the "South County Hotel". I remember their night club/venue thing at some eary stage being very Miami Vice - all pink & green neon. I think it was something like "Pink Flamingo" or something.

Another club was Racey Nights up in the race course.

Then there was the old brewery on Brewery Road - my recollection from the 70s was that there was a reasonable amount of building (albeit derelict) there that you could explore as a kid.

And who could forget 'breaking in' to the reservoir on Brewery Road to collect conkers from those huges trees they used to have just inside the old wall before progress came along and demolished them to make way for a wider road.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The Blue House, Ballinteer.

The wha?
    zagmund wrote: »
    Another club was Racey Nights up in the race course.

Wasn't Racey Nights above The Lep Inn where Green's Restaurant is now?

Club up at the racecourse (what is '92 now) used to be called Blinkers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The wha?

Behind where the Apple Green petrol station is now. It was a Youth Club (amongst other things) for a few months/years (?).

Behind where the Apple Green petrol station is now. It was a Youth Club (amongst other things) for a few months/years (?).

Never heard of it - when did it close?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The wha?

Wasn't Racey Nights above The Lep Inn where Green's Restaurant is now?

Club up at the racecourse (what is '92 now) used to be called Blinkers.

Ah yes, Blinkers. My mistake. Old age is getting to me.

z

Never heard of it - when did it close?

Some time in the 80s. It was levelled in the 90s and the land, along with the then Shell station, was to be used to build fancy celtic tiger flats. Thankfully this never happened and the petrol station was recommissioned and is booming today.

Some time in the 80s. It was levelled in the 90s and the land, along with the then Shell station, was to be used to build fancy celtic tiger flats. Thankfully this never happened and the petrol station was recommissioned and is booming today.

It is - they get a lot of my business - €135 worth's yesterday to be precise! :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The bike shop in Sandycove (between Spar and Eamon's), The Forum cinema, and Music City for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

BDJW wrote: »
    Was it '94 when that place closed?! :eek: I used to buy Amiga 1200 games there....one of the very few places outside of the city centre that sold Amiga games!

wasnt there also a place called Gamesworld in the Main Street beside the bus stop? I remember renting out many a game there.
    afaik they were also in liffet street in town, til they got taken over by Gamestop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Mr MacMonagle.

:pac:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

scotchy wrote: »
    Mr MacMonagle.

Eh?

Isn't he an English teacher in Wesley?

scotchy wrote: »
    Mr MacMonagle.

If you can put those two together, you can probably remember when the cinema came to Ballinteer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The bike shop in Sandycove (between Spar and Eamon's), The Forum cinema, and Music City for me.

Ouch.. talk about disturbing cobwebs in my head.. A very old school bike shop. Umm.. talking of that area, wasn't there a bike shop in the shared doorway of the infamous 'Prem', up in Dun Laoghaire? (You'd turn off to the right, the Prem doorway was straight down the hallway)

I remember Woolworths beside there well, I vaguely recall wooden floorboards. Lovely chalky smell in the place, like it had been lost to time. They had an amazing collection of Airfix and Matchbox plastic models on the shop floor, I would just dawdle and fantasize over the artwork. German half-tracks and exotic German bombers with plenty of glasswork were the favourites. (Junkers Ju 88, 87 'Stuka' etc..)

Anyone remember the chipper opposite the Miami Café in Dun Laoghaire, they had a very compact but satisfying arcade, good stuff (Robotron), as well as the mustier classics.. (Gorf) I hung around the Prem and that place from about 10 years old.. (if my parents had known.. :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

If you can put those two together, you can probably remember when the cinema came to Ballinteer ;)

I do. I remember him mangling "Charlottes web" one saturday afternoon back in the mid-70's when he got the various reels out of sequence.

Rumour had it the "Cinema" stopped many years later due to a copy of a movie being shown when the same movie was still on general release.

I also remember the phrase "Mr MacGonagles Pets" . He was a teacher in Our Lady's school Ballinteer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Most already said so far, but anyone else remember the Pierrot in Dun Laoghaire?

Think its an O'Briens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone wrote: »
    Most already said so far, but anyone else remember the Pierrot in Dun Laoghaire?

Think its an O'Briens now.

An outlet for general Housewares and Furniture for years, then sort of Yummy Mummy prams and candles for the coffee table (and Housewares) lark..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Amalgam wrote: »
    Ouch.. talk about disturbing cobwebs in my head.. A very old school bike shop.

Sure was, I would have been pretty small when it was there. Used to run up there and get some bits for the bike and then back to Joels (spelling is wrong here I think) and home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

What a wonderful thread. Bringing back many memories of my teenage years. Someone mentioned the Pierrot. That name rings a big bell. Was it a pub? Or snooker club? Anyone remember Pizzaland on the main street? I used to work there when I was 14, eeek! I remember the roller disco in the top hat which was eventually turned into a bouncy castle paradise! There was another roller disco in Laurel park just outside Shankill around that time. Keep the memories flowing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The Pierrot was a snooker hall, but more importantly it had, what felt at the time, loads and loads of video games!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

And I think it was next door to pizzaland. Memory is coming back now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Martyw1965

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Wasnt it called Captain Americas West to differentiate it from the one in town.

It certainly was. I worked there in the kitchen from 1984 to 1990 part time and full time during summers....

Any others out there...?

I miss Pappagallo's Pizza restaurant in Stillorgan - its not a long time ago, but I LOVED their pizzas and ice-creams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I miss The Baths in Blackrock

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Not as far out as most places mentioned here, but I miss Chew and Chat in Ranelagh

Advertisement