Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places In South Dublin You Miss

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Anyone wrote: »
    The Pierrot was a snooker hall, but more importantly it had, what felt at the time, loads and loads of video games!

Was there a snooker hall with some arcade games called Ben Halls in Dun Laoire. I think it was opposite where Shaws is now and near another long gone pub, Pier 19..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Good point hero, lived on OP road there and tbh it really is a sad sight

Heli, what vintage would you be, I'm from the Crescent, remember Hurleys shop and Jem Reynolds cottage and the smell of the pigs ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Was there a snooker hall with some arcade games called Ben Halls in Dun Laoire. I think it was opposite where Shaws is now and near another long gone pub, Pier 19..

I remember that place. Think it was beside McCabes shoes.

There was also Cooney's pub with the porthole windows that became Weirs. Beside that was Dixon's newsagents and McCullaghs. Where AIB now is was Liptons and then H Williams and where the emain Post Office is was the District Court with the Garda Station behind it where Century Court is now.

And Dunnes drapery was Lees

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

brayblue24 wrote: »

There was also Cooney's pub with the porthole windows that became Weirs. Beside that was Dixon's newsagents and McCullaghs. Where AIB now is was Liptons and then H Williams and where the emain Post Office is was the District Court with the Garda Station behind it where Century Court is now.

Actually that reminds me - Weirs is closed now too. Used to do a cracking lunch. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

BDJW wrote: »
    Not as far out as most places mentioned here, but I miss Chew and Chat in Ranelagh

Passed it many times but never went in, I also remember Tribeca before it got a makeover.

But my overriding memory from Ranelagh would be old Mr McCarthys shoe shop. Boxes and boxes of shoes with nothing on display.

He'd measure your feet, select a box, you'd try the shoes on and invariably they were the ones for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

This thread is really bringing me back to my childhood.

Round to Meany's newsagent on Seapoint Avenue for bags of chocolate satins, special mixture and my weekly comic. Round the corner to Brady's shop for the cooked ham and then down to Blackrock village with my grandmother for jam tarts and apple squares in Bennetts bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

McCarthys in Ranelgh was just mad. My memory of it is stacks & stacks & stacks of boxes, Mr McCarthy sititing in the middle measuring everyone up, then he would disappear off into the back or just reach up and grab a box from the middle of one of the stacks (without anything falling) and as Tabnabs said - they would be the one for you.

The zag family used to live in that house/shop combination, so we knew Mr McCarthy well indeed.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

brayblue24 wrote: »

Lordy, Dixons, now youre going back. Pretty sure it had a blue front and was just a long place with a floorboard floors, lots of endless fun with 50p toys from that place. Am I right in remembering a woman working in there that was, shall we say, a little special?

Woolworths was just up the way from that, its M&S now

H Williams and McCullaghs I remember alright. I remember the outcry when the Courthouse was demolished without any notice, nice old red brick building

I remember McDonalds opening on Georges St in around 1982/3, that was the Friday after school treat

Down on Marine Road they used to half maintain the park that surrounded the old Pavillion, I was always warned not to go into it though except if the funfair was on. The Da used to park in the Pavillion for the saturday shopping. The old Cabs mans kiosk was at the entrance to that too, that location dated back to the horse drawn cabs meeting the trams

Before Elverys and Music City and Wendys was the Dublin Gas Board showrooms and offices

You could get all your DIY needs in Dockrells and Murdochs and Wigoders (only Costelloes survives) Serious building required Chadwicks in the Noggin, which was then the whole of the Woodies/Chadwicks building

Toyota cars could be bought from Donnellys garage and Texaco forecourt which was beside Smyths pub (now Gilbert and Wright)

Graham O'Sullivans used to have cafes on all 3 floors of the DL Shopping Centre and they used to always be jammers. The surviving one is a real relic, more tumbleweeds than punters

Boylans shoes was a big shop where Carraig Donn is now.

Golden Discs had 2 shops in the shopping centre, one a small vinyl place on the top floor where Art and Hobby now is

In many ways DL is tidier and more polished now than it was then, easy to keep tidy I suppose when theres no activity. Its sad to remember how thronged it once was though, all the atmosphere is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Anyone remember these hotels:-
    The Salthill Hotel,
    The Shangri-La Hotel,
    Rosses Hotel,
    The Crofton Hotel.

also Connollys supermarket (Green Shield Stamps) on Patrick St. Dun Laoghaire with Taggarts Off Licence accross the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Dynans Bike shop in Monkstown Farm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Oh, the Salty Dog in DL. Very exotic dining at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

The premier snooker club.

The Thatch pub in Sallynoggin.

The Workman's Club snooker hall.

The Old Noggin Inn with the snooker hall.

The Rainbow Rapides.

The old sweetshop beside Deansgrange cemetery gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

There was a theatre upstairs over the Gas company showrooms. I remember seeing Big Maggie there.

Ah Salthill hotel, big sis had her 21st there:p Then it was demolished and a development of flats started but went bust with just a few show flats built. I think the present apartments are a different scheme.

Yes Salty Dog.... great place.

Advertisement