Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US army records, 20th century

• 13-07-2012 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Where would I go to find an individual's record? First World War.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Where would I go to find an individual's record? First World War.

I'm not sure about US army records but I found my grandmother's brother's army attestation papers on Ancestry. He was in the Canadian infantry. I also found details of his death. You could try that website.

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

WWI records are at the National Archives and Records Administration in Washington DC (officers) and the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri (enlisted).

HOWEVER there was a fire in 1973 and 80% of army (there are various branches: marines, navy, air force, army [air force was not in existence in WWI]) files have been lost covering 1912-1960. Most of the losses cover WWI.

Do try Ancestry and Familysearch as NARA have partnered with them and their records are being digitized. A good source is the WWI draft registration cards on Ancestry. 98% of the male population of fighting age at the time had to fill one in. Their digitization has been very poor though on Ancestry and they are hard to read.

US military records is a bit of a weak spot for me as I don't have much need for them in my line of work but I'll try and answer any further questions if you have them.

Lots of reading here:
    http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2002/fall/military-records-overview.html
    http://www.archives.gov/research/military/
    http://www.archives.gov/research/order/order-vets-records.html#nprc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks, @Coolnabacky1873. Ancestry is dear to use here, though I think it's free in the US.

I've found my great-uncle Cecil Gifford in a home for disabled soldiers in 1930, but that's the only trace I could find of him. Records said he entered the US army in the medical corps. He sounds as if he was shell shocked; not knowing where he served, it's hard to say what may have happened to him.

If there is one country it won't be free in it's here :) It's a regular company and they have subscription packages depending on where you live and also a worldwide package.

Bigger libraries have institutional subscriptions so depending on where you live that might work.

Also, there are some nice folk on here that help people if you have the details of an exact record that you need and they have a sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Also, there are some nice folk on here that help people if you have the details of an exact record that you need and they have a sub.

You rang? :)

Not all those WWI registration cards are hard to read, by the way. My great-grandfather's card was key in establishing a link.

• Advertisement

This Cecil Gifford was the twin of Grace, who married Joe Plunkett a brief time before he was executed in 1916.

This Cecil Gifford was the twin of Grace, who married Joe Plunkett a brief time before he was executed in 1916.

Do you know where he was born and a rough date of birth?

EDIT: Oh, THAT Joe Plunkett.

RGM wrote: »

Edward Cecil Gifford, born in Dublin March 4, 1888, twin of Grace, parents Frederick Gifford and Isabella (née Burton). Oh, I have him also on the boat Celtic in 1909, on the way to New York.

According to my notes, he seems to have joined the army in 1917 in the medical department as a corporal, and left for the reason "W.D. Ai" or W.D. Cei maybe, #27 (?), then re-enlisted as a private in 1921 in Co K, 29th Infantry, and left because of "reduction of army". Description was light brown hair, blue eyes, ruddy complexion, five foot eight and a half inches, religion Protestant. Admission to military hospital November 29, 1930, "Adm B.B." (?), and Read (readmission?) B.H. 9.3.31.

The date would be right. Well found.

Ahem, the 1932 would be right. The 1889 wouldn't be. 1888. But considering that the poor man was in a bad state, the 1889 may just have been a mistake.

• Advertisement

Boards.ie genealogy forum - the gift that keeps on giving.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VHZC-CD1

Boards.ie genealogy forum - the gift that keeps on giving.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VHZC-CD1

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

java.lang.NullPointerException
    org.familysearch.[url]www.LogSessionIdFilter.doFilter(LogSessionIdFilter.java:39)[/url]
    javax.servlet.FilterChain$doFilter.call(Unknown Source)
    org.familysearch.[url]www.ETagFilter.doFilter(ETagFilter.groovy:39)[/url]
    org.familysearch.[url]www.APICopyrightFilter.doFilter(APICopyrightFilter.java:78)[/url]
    note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/6.0.18 logs.

EDIT: Oh, THAT Joe Plunkett.

Yeah, that's the lad.

The Kalamazoo, Michigan public library has "KAL. CO. RECORDS OF SOLDIERS...1914-19" that mention a Cecil E. Gifford. Not sure exactly what info is in those records, but worth contacting them. Not available online.

Wow, thank you so much!

Have emailed the Katz in Kalamazoo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ancestry also has him travelling from Liverpool to New York in 1909

Name: Edward Cecil Gifford
    Arrival Date: 3 May 1909
    Birth Year: abt 1888
    Birth Location: Ireland
    Birth Location Other: dublin
    Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Irish
    Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
    Port of Arrival: New York, New York
    Ship Name: Celtic

Father, Fred Gifford from 8 Temple Villas.

According to my notes, he seems to have joined the army in 1917 in the medical department as a corporal,

I take it that you have the record from the U.S. National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers ?

The WWI forum guys are great at deciphering the military jargon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Boards.ie genealogy forum - the gift that keeps on giving...
    You make us sound like what is sometimes euphemistically called a "social disease".

[It might be an apt label.]

Ponster wrote: »
    Ancestry also has him travelling from Liverpool to New York in 1909

Name: Edward Cecil Gifford
    Arrival Date: 3 May 1909
    Birth Location: Ireland
    Birth Location Other: dublin
    Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Irish
    Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
    Port of Arrival: New York, New York
    Ship Name: Celtic

Father, Fred Gifford from 8 Temple Villas.

That's our Ces. I think his sister Kay may have been on the same boat, or maybe it was another. Cecil, Ernest, Gabriel and Kay all travelled over at various points.

• Advertisement

http://data.wmgs.org/Veterans/FMPro?-db=Orders&-lay=VeteransOrders&-format=search.htm&-New

You can order Cecil Gifford's record from the Grand Rapids Soldiers' Home for $13.50 US. Says there are 21 pages?

http://data.wmgs.org/Veterans/FMPro?-db=Orders&-lay=VeteransOrders&-format=search.htm&-New

You can order Cecil Gifford's record from the Grand Rapids Soldiers' Home for $13.50 US. Says there are 21 pages?

21 pages? I never saw that looking at the site before! Will do that. Have done that! The records will take a couple of weeks, it seems, they'll be sent by post.

That's our Ces. I think his sister Kay may have been on the same boat, or maybe it was another. Cecil, Ernest, Gabriel and Kay all travelled over at various points.

Ernest travelled with him. Gabriel (and his wife) didn't go over until 1915.

Ernest travelled with him. Gabriel (and his wife) didn't go over until 1915.

Ah yes. Ernest (or as he's always called in the family, Frederick). Thanks.

(or as he's always called in the family, Frederick)

Most likely because it's his name :p (I couldn't decipher it from the records but he gave his name as Frederick Ernest)

Most likely because it's his name :p (I couldn't decipher it from the records but he gave his name as Frederick Ernest)

Some of the boys used their first name, some their middle name.

Another brother, Claude Frederick, was a member of the Canadian Expeditionary Force; I don't know how to find his records either.

Some of the boys used their first name, some their middle name.

Another brother, Claude Frederick, was a member of the Canadian Expeditionary Force; I don't know how to find his records either.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?id_nbr=412575

:D

Ah yes. Ernest (or as he's always called in the family, Frederick). Thanks.

He also pops up in 1917 as a truck driver in LA :)

Really? Where's the reference??

• Advertisement

mod9maple wrote: »

Wow! Well found! How can one tell how much is in the box, how many pages, etc?

Wow! Well found! How can one tell how much is in the box, how many pages, etc?

No problem, glad to help.

"However, most Canadian Expeditionary Force service files contain an average of 25 to 75 pages, with those for personnel who were drafted or enlisted later in the war typically having smaller files."

Click on the link at the top of the page for details of full service file: 'How to consult a file on-site or order a copy of the complete file'

Btw I notice there are 2 addresses for next of kin, one in Dublin (crossed out) and another in Essex, England! Nice. :)

mod9maple wrote: »
    Btw I notice there are 2 addresses for next of kin, one in Dublin (crossed out) and another in Essex, England! Nice. :)

That'll be his mother in Ireland and his wife in England.

I clicked on that "how to consult a file" link, but it was just general instructions.

What do those 25 to 75 pages tend to involve?

Correction - it's 16 Dawson Street, Dublin, so that must have been his father's business. His father would be incapacitated with a stroke at some stage during that year; I'd thought the family business was in South Frederick Street, but maybe they'd moved offices.

Incidentally, my great-aunts used to say "the boys" were in "the army" (whereas they (girls) were in the Citizen Army or affiliated to the Volunteers). But of the other brothers, I've found no sign of Liebert (spelled various ways including Lebirt), Frederick or Gabriel being in the British, US or Canadian armies. Gerald Vere had died as a result of a rugby scrum collapsing some years earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

it's 16 Dawson Street, Dublin, so that must have been his father's business. His father would be incapacitated with a stroke at some stage during that year; I'd thought the family business was in South Frederick Street, but maybe they'd moved offices.

Thom's 1914 - 16 Dawson street :
    J.C. Mathieson, milliner, costumer
    F. Gifford & Son, solrs. and com. for oaths
    Fredk. Gifford, solr. and com. for oaths - res. 8 Temple villas, Palmerston Rd., Rathmines
    Claude F. Gifford, solr. and com. for oaths for Ireland and British Columbia
    - res. Kilgour, Dartry Rd., Rathmines
    City & County Private finances Co. - J. Callely sec.
    S.D. Lambert, B.A. solr. - res. Hillsdene, Portmarnock

S.

Really? Where's the reference??

Here you go. Most likely him (IMO) as place of birth is Dublin and the year of arrival and ship taken match up.

http://imgur.com/I4MU7

By the way, Ancestry has a record of a Robert W. Gifford, born Ireland, fighting in the US Civil War. You never know, he may be one of your lot :)

• Advertisement

I've found no sign of Liebert (spelled various ways including Lebirt),

Nope. I can't find him in any army records.

Is he the same Liebert who dies in Montréal in 1934 ?

Nope. I can't find him in any army records.

Is he the same Liebert who dies in Montréal in 1934 ?

Yes, he is. I also found a reference to him aged 16 having run away to sea on some boat, but the internet ate the reference and I never found it again.

[QUOTE=shanew;79728830
    Claude F. Gifford, solr. and com. for oaths for Ireland and British Columbia
    - res. Kilgour, Dartry Rd., Rathmines
    City & County Private finances Co. - J. Callely sec.
    [/QUOTE]

Interesting thing is that Claude is a solicitor in the Dublin records and a barrister in the Canadian. I have a vague memory of coming across him being qualified as a barrister in Canada, but the time scale...

Someone has come back to me with an offer to send the US records on Cecil for €2 a page, and I've sent an email to the Canadian site to find out how to get Claude's records. We shall see.

Was this a joke or are you serious? If serious, where's the record, please?

Oh, wait, I see you answered this already - sorry.

But what is this 'Declaration of Intention'? Is it an application for naturalisation, since he's rejecting foreign princes, potentates, etc?

• Advertisement

Was this a joke or are you serious? If serious, where's the record, please?

Oh, wait, I see you answered this already - sorry.

But what is this 'Declaration of Intention'? Is it an application for naturalisation, since he's rejecting foreign princes, potentates, etc?
    "Prior to 1952, a two-step process was required before an immigrant could become a U.S. citizen. Filing a Declaration of Intention was the first step. Sometimes referred to as the "first papers," the Declaration of Intention could be filed anytime after the immigrant arrived. After 1862, those who were honorably discharged from the U.S. Army were excused from this first step in the naturalization process (added for the Navy & Marine Corps in 1894). In 1952, a Declaration of Intent was no longer required for anyone, although some immigrants filed them."

Interesting. I've looked in a few places but found no further mention of Frederick Ernest Gifford.

The odd thing is that my notes have Claude and Liebert born in the same year, 1876 - Liebert on April 27 and Claude on January 8. Not sure where I got the date for Liebert - maybe from familysearch.org, which of course could have the date wrong. I should go in to the Ilac Centre and see if I can hunt out their birth certs and get this clear.

Interesting. I've looked in a few places but found no further mention of Frederick Ernest Gifford.

Ancestry has his WWI registration card from 1918.

Address is 808 S. San Pedro, LA, California. Nearest relative Isabella Gifford in Dublin. Having trouble making out his occupation, but his employer is given as Ottewall(sp?) Hampton in Inyo County.

Address is 808 S. San Pedro, LA, California. Nearest relative Isabella Gifford in Dublin. Having trouble making out his occupation, but his employer is given as Ottewall(sp?) Hampton in Inyo County.

What do you mean by WWI registration card, please?

What do you mean by WWI registration card, please?

All males of a certain age had to register for the draft. According to Ancestry, 98 percent of American men aged 18-46 filled out a registration card. So it doesn't imply military service.

One of the first suggestions in this thread for finding Cecil was his registration card. Unfortunately the scans and transcriptions are not of the best quality and some cards are hard to find.

Is there any way to find out if someone who filled in the registration did actually serve?

Incidentally, Inyo County in California, where he was working as a truck driver, is apparently a Native American reservation.

That record has a different date of birth and different place of birth than the OP. You'd have to make sure that there wasn't another person with the same name, around the same age who was in fact born in NYC. Without going into it further I'd say that it isn't the same guy.

Place of Birth:New York;United States of America
    Birth Date: 9 Feb 1889

He also appears in the 1920 and 1940 census

Name: Frederick E Gifford
    Respondent: Yes
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
    Race: White
    Birthplace: Irish Free State
    Marital Status: Single
    Relation to Head of House: Roomer
    Home in 1940: San Francisco, San Francisco, California
    View Map
    Street: Cherry
    House Number: 349
    Inferred Residence in 1935: San Francisco, San Francisco, California
    Residence in 1935: Same Place
    Resident on farm in 1935: No
    Citizenship: Naturalized
    Sheet Number: 62B
    Rent/home value:

Fred E Gifford

Birthplace: Ireland
    Home in 1920: Oakland, Alameda, California
    Race: White
    Immigration Year: 1900
    Relation to Head of House: Lodger
    Marital Status: Single
    Father's Birthplace: Ireland
    Mother's Birthplace: Ireland
    Able to read: Yes
    Able to Write: Yes

That record has a different date of birth and different place of birth than the OP. You'd have to make sure that there wasn't another person with the same name, around the same age who was in fact born in NYC. Without going into it further I'd say that it isn't the same guy.

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but the record I'm referring to is definitely the guy and there is no mention of NY. The record doesn't actually have a place of birth, but lists him as an alien.

It gives the same Dublin address for his mother Isabella, 8 Temple Villas, that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I think you're confused.

The census records you posted are actually far more suspect, considering the DOB. The other records have him born 1880-1882, yours both say 1888 and have no other connection than the name and state.

Incidentally, Inyo County in California, where he was working as a truck driver, is apparently a Native American reservation.

There may be a reservation there, but I'm sure it is only a very small part of the county. Inyo County is about as big as a third of Ireland (all of Ireland).

Is there any way to find out if someone who filled in the registration did actually serve?

Not from the cards themselves.

Yep. You're right. He was born in 22 Mar 1880. I still think that the census results are him though no matted about the dob being off. The weird thing is that the only other FEG around at the time is married to an Isabella Gifford (but not the same one it seems) :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement