Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccinating a kitten

Options
  • 13-07-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I've got a new cat. :D
    At what age should he get his first shot (and repeated shots)?
    Also, at what age can I have him micro-chipped?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Hi Lehmann,

Im a new kitty owner (Just got my first one last week!) but i've just come back from the Vets last night.
    She recommended getting the 1st shot at about 8 weeks (Although this can depend on weight and if you think he looks healthy overall, i.e. check if he has mucous or irritated/greenish looking eyes).

Then they recommend getting the second shots at around 12 weeks and then an annual booster.

We also got ours a flea treatment and a deworming treatment.

She recommended worming every few weeks until he was 4 months old, then 4 times a year.

Good luck with your new addition!! :)

BTW micro chipping as far as i know can be done at any age but my vet gives a discount if done with the vaccinations.

We are going to wait until we get him neutered though as they can do it when they are under anesthetic and therefore won't feel the little pinch!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Lehmann

Hi Dublin21,
    Hope your kitten is doing well. :D
    I should take mine to the Vet next weekend. He looks very healthy, but since I'm not an expert, better take him to get his shots soon. Hehe.
    Thanks for all the advices!
    Enjoy your weekend.
    :D
    Cheers

By the way, Dublin21, I was wondering how much your Vet charged you for your kitten's first shot?
    I paid 40euros for that (including worming treatment).
    I had a senior cat before and took him to the same Vet for a shot and paid just 25euros (+worming+clipping nails).. Or is the vaccination for a kitten +expensive than an adult? :D
    Also, the Vet told me he never did micro-chipping before (LOL) but supposes it can be done... then he changed the topic saying that it's just better to neuter the cat...:confused:, especially if he's an indoor cat (he said it decreases the bad smell of male cat's pee)..
    Cheers :D

Hi Lehmann

I have a kitten and have never had an older cat so can't help you with the comparison unfortunately!

The first check up for my kitten was free and then i was charged 12e for worming and flea treatment.

The second visit where he actually got his first shots was 45e!
    Again maybe someone else can help you with a comparison here.
    Maybe its to do with the fact the annual shots are just boosters and the first 2 are stronger vaccination shots??

If you have a male cat then neutering will stop them 'spraying' which i am told is quite pungent and you don't want that going on!
    I have been told by my vet that we will need to wait until the kitten is 5 months before we do this.

Where are you based? Not that it should make any difference but maybe your vet doesn't have a lot of ppl coming in with domesticated cats needing micro-chipping?
    But that is quite confusing! It has nothing to do with neutering so not sure why he would use that subject change!

If it were me i would look around until i found a vet familiar with Micro chipping etc!

My kitten is back in two weeks for his second shot which i presume will cost 45e again and the neutering costs 63e as far as im aware.
    I think its 20-30 e (Depending if discount is offered) on top of that to add in a micro chipping!

• Advertisement

Oh hi Dublin21, that was a fast response!
    Thanks! :D

I'm in County Kerry (a bit close to Killarney). I think the Vet is more used to cattle, and maybe dogs, than treating cats. lol!

Thanks for giving me an idea on the prices. Maybe you're right, and that the first shots are more expensive because others are just yearly boosters.

I found it a bit strange that he changed the topic immediately saying I should just get my cat neutered. He said it can be done when the cat is 9months old (your Vet says from 5 months)... then said we could bring the kitten before Christmas... but the thing is that my kitten is just 2 months old, so if we follow the Vet's instructions, I must wait 7 months before neutering him, which will be February-March 2013. LOL!

It's also odd that he didn't mention at all the 2nd shot and when it should be given to my kitten...

I'd definitely need to find a professional Vet in the future. :D
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Lehmann wrote: »
    Oh hi Dublin21, that was a fast response!
    Thanks! :D

I'm in County Kerry (a bit close to Killarney). I think the Vet is more used to cattle, and maybe dogs, than treating cats. lol!

Thanks for giving me an idea on the prices. Maybe you're right, and that the first shots are more expensive because others are just yearly boosters.

I found it a bit strange that he changed the topic immediately saying I should just get my cat neutered. He said it can be done when the cat is 9months old (your Vet says from 5 months)... then said we could bring the kitten before Christmas... but the thing is that my kitten is just 2 months old, so if we follow the Vet's instructions, I must wait 7 months before neutering him, which will be February-March 2013. LOL!

It's also odd that he didn't mention at all the 2nd shot and when it should be given to my kitten...

I'd definitely need to find a professional Vet in the future. :D
    Cheers!

I'm sure your vet is a professional and all, but I'd be looking for one used to small animals if I was you. Most vets will neuter cats from 5 months (you need to get them before they hit puberty because they can start spraying from six months onwards). My vet will neuter from twelve weeks onwards, some other vets have picked up this practice as well, especially as one of the local vets had a pregnant five month old kitten arrive in her practice! If i was you, I would be insisting on having the kitten neutered at five months, six at the latest.

Hello Rommie, thanks a lot for the info. :)
    I'll get my kitten neutered before Christmas then.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

First vacc 8 weeks, this should include full check up, weighing and worm and spot on. Prob around 45-60 euro depending on vet.
    second vacc needs to be done 2-3 weeks after, this should be a lot cheaper, approx 25 euro.
    Chipping is easier when they are being neutered. A cat can be neutered from 12 weeks old provided the testicles have dropped. Find a good vet that will do this. A cat can become sexually mature well before 6 months, best get him done before his starts with male behaviour. Neuter and chip together would be about 70/80 euro for a male.

Hi Themadhouse,
    Thanks a million for all the info you shared!
    I'll follow your advice.
    Cheersssssssssssss :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

Hi Lehmann.In Killarney I'd recommend the All Care veterinary clinic.The owner,Danny O Sullivan is the vet who answers questions on Radio Kerry and he's excellent.He used to treat my last cat who eventually died of old age.

I've now adopted / been adopted by a seven month old little female cat and I rang the All Care clinic who quoted 38 or 58 for vaccines, plus 75 for neutering. That would be a total of 133e. A very expensive vet in Tralee quoted me 213e for the same procedures.It definitely pays to shop around.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

my vet spayes/neuteres kittens from 10 weeks old. i have my 2 booked in, in 2 weeks time. will also get them chipped at the same time

Advertisement