Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No more pyramids?

• 13-07-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Several reports in the Arabic media have reported that the new Islamist government plans to tear down the Great Pyramids due to their "pagan" nature.
    According to several reports in the Arabic media, prominent Muslim clerics have begun to call for the demolition of Egypt's Great Pyramids—or, in the words of Saudi Sheikh Ali bin Said al-Rabi'i, those "symbols of paganism," which Egypt's Salafi party has long planned to cover with wax. Most recently, Bahrain's "Sheikh of Sunni Sheikhs" and President of National Unity, Abd al-Latif al-Mahmoud, called on Egypt's new president, Muhammad Morsi, to "destroy the Pyramids and accomplish what Amr bin al-As could not."

Has the sun finally set for Egypt's Great Pyramids?
    This is a reference to the Muslim Prophet Muhammad's companion, Amr bin al-As and his Arabian tribesmen, who invaded and conquered Egypt circa 641. Under al-As and subsequent Muslim rule, many Egyptian antiquities were destroyed as relics of infidelity. While most Western academics argue otherwise, according to early Muslim writers, the great Library of Alexandria itself—deemed a repository of pagan knowledge contradicting the Koran—was destroyed under bin al-As's reign and in compliance with Caliph Omar's command.

Source: http://www.raymondibrahim.com/11973/calls-to-destroy-egypt-great-pyramids-begin

Crazy when you think about it. One of the Seven Wonders of the World might be no more. Also what a loss for tourism if Egypt went ahead with it. Islamic militants who have taken over Northern Mali have been destroying ancient shrines. Maybe we will be going back to the book-burning days after all?

Better book your flights to Cairo sharpish if you want to see the pyramids. I'm not that fussed to visit it myself, I've heard it's very over hyped. The surrounding areas of the pyramid is just a massive tourist trap. It's noisy, smelly, crowded with locals trying to sell you overpriced tat. I wouldn't want to see it go though :D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Are these people complete fcuking morons?

They'll get cursed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hysterical shite with little basis in fact. Any article quoting Daniel Pipes should set off Star Trek Red Alert sirens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

pyramid schemes are all the go now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Yeah, right.

smash wrote: »

They'd get no money which would amount to the same thing. It's a huge earner for all and sundry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yeah right, they will get rid of their biggest tourist attraction. Tourism must be nearly the basis for Egypt's economy.

I am interested in this 'covering with wax' idea though, what's that all about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

thats their tourism gone,thats one of the only reasons people want to travel there,why are they allowed to tear down such beautiful history,and why is it supported,how crazy are these people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ridiculous nonsense, that barely worth bothering with. This isn't the first time, nonsensical claims have been made in regard to the new Egyptian government. The last one, was that they were legalising sex with dead bodies.

Also, the linked article rather laughably ignores the fact that the monuments destroyed in Timbuktu, where Mosques, and Sufi shrines, and were destroyed by Extremists, who as per usual are not fans of anyone except themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eyesores like the Nama buildings, knock em down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

And who will be responsible for rounding up all the mummies that escape?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

If this happens, I'll rebuild them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Of course it makes no sense to but if the Egyptian government proposals are concerning themselves with making laws like you're now allowed to have sex with your wife up to 6 hours after she died. It might not have gone through but to have a proposal like that in the first place suggests that somehow the government isn't all there in the head.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/26/farewell-intercourse-law-egypt-parliament-dead-wife_n_1455241.html

A government based on a fundamentalist religious law will not particularly care about tourism. It'll care more about their interpretation of the Quran and living by Allah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Id say the lad Sheikh Ali bin Said will be getting a few shoes thrown at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,258 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

wes wrote: »
    Ridiculous nonsense, that barely worth bothering with. This isn't the first time, nonsensical claims have been made in regard to the new Egyptian government. The last one, was that they were legalising sex with dead bodies.

Also, the linked article rather laughably ignores the fact that the monuments destroyed in Timbuktu, where Mosques, and Sufi shrines, and were destroyed by Extremists, who as per usual are not fans of anyone except themselves.

Brings a whole new meaning to MILF :)

Would be crazy to tear down the pyramids...what would you do with all the rubble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I think it would be one of most terrible crime. The pyramids are one of the oldest, most magnificent and most significant buildings in the world. They're a testament to man's history and ability. I honestly think the pyramids would be worth fighting for and defending. If Islamists got to power and ordered the pyramids to be demolished, especially the pyramids of Giza, I would condone an international task force to stop them from doing so. It's an extreme measure, yes, but their fate shouldn't be decided by just one state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Archeron wrote: »
    It's the scarab beetles you need to worry about!

Of course it makes no sense to but if the Egyptian government proposals are concerning themselves with making laws like you're now allowed to have sex with your wife up to 6 hours after she died. It might not have gone through but to have a proposal like that in the first place suggests that somehow the government isn't all there in the head.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/26/farewell-intercourse-law-egypt-parliament-dead-wife_n_1455241.html

A government based on a fundamentalist religious law will not particularly care about tourism. It'll care more about their interpretation of the Quran and living by Allah.

Did you bother to look at the bit in the article where they say theres now claims its false....? The whole thing is a crock.

http://jonathanturley.org/2012/04/27/dead-letter-egyptian-necrophilia-law-called-hoax-by-mubarak-supporter/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Nodin wrote: »
    They'd get no money which would amount to the same thing. It's a huge earner for all and sundry.

It is, but that hardly concerns the nuttier islamist element though, a lack of filthy western tourists corrupting their lands would be considered a plus to those kind of nutters. They weren't concerned about the impact on tourism in the 90's when they were blowing up tourist busses in Tahrir square or massacring tourists in the valley of the queens either. Most ordinary Egyptians utterly despair when they see their livelihoods go up in smoke every time the islamists rattle the saber.

Of course this kind of nonsense is nothing new, you had the Taliban blowing up the Bamiyan buddhas, and the Malian Islamists are currently rampaging through Timbuktu destroying shrines and other ancient artifacts. The ‘year zero’ savagery of these a-holes never ceases to amaze me.
    As far as I'm concerned, anybody that damages a UNESCO world herritage site destroys something that is important not to just to Egyptian cultural history, but to all mankinds cultural history and they should be unilatterally dealth with as a result.

Id say the lad Sheikh Ali bin Said will be getting a few shoes thrown at him.

He's some Giza isn't he? I don't know why he thinks they're pagan, he must be in denile.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Well, the Taliban did destroy those famous giant Buddahs with anti-aircraft guns and the world didn't really care. Hopefully the Egyptians aren't that stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

GreeBo wrote: »
    Brings a whole new meaning to MILF :)

Would be crazy to tear down the pyramids...what would you do with all the rubble!

Stack it up in a big heap, and then people would go to Egypt to visit the giant cone, and marvel at its construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

FFS, there was no such law. From the article you linked:
    Editor's note: Since the "proposed law" was first reported in Al Arabiya, questions have arisen over the validity of the claims. The Christian Science Monitor is just one of several outlets that have questioned whether the reports are true or indeed if any such law would be able to gain traction in the Egyptian parliament. Since first published, this article has been amended to reflect those concerns.

Update: Several Egyptian sources are claiming via Twitter that the story below is false. It has been suggested by some that a rumour may have been placed by sources loyal to former dictator Hosni Mubarak.

Here is the CSM story:
    Egypt 'necrophilia law'? Hooey, utter hooey.

Its seem clear to me, that you aren't a big fan of the facts, when the link your provide says tha the bloody story was false. HuffPo and a lot outlets were shown to be completely incompetent, when they didn't bother to fact check. Its doubly bizare that people are like yourself are linking to the story, when they have now say themselves that its false. There was no such law that was ever proposed.

Did you bother to look at the bit in the article where they say theres now claims its false....? The whole thing is a crock.

http://jonathanturley.org/2012/04/27/dead-letter-egyptian-necrophilia-law-called-hoax-by-mubarak-supporter/

No ;) But it's still a good story :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

It's the scarab beetles you need to worry about!

Not really..............................Only McCartny and Ringo left now :o

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Stack it up in a big heap, and then people would go to Egypt to visit the giant cone, and marvel at its construction.

That would have to be demolished as it would have too much of a resemblance to a Christmas tree and christian values.

conorhal wrote: »
    It is, but that hardly concerns the nuttier islamist element though,........

They aren't the Egyptian Government.
    No wink.gif But it's still a good story biggrin.gif ,

If you're into hatemongering bollocksology.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Would be great if they got cursed and all Islam with it.

Yep. Over a billion cursed because of some few nuts. That'd be a definite cause for a party.

If you're into hatemongering bollocksology.....

Well I've riled two people in this thread which satisfies me greatly. :P

I bet some people would try to convert to save their bacon :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Be a shame if they knocked them, but shur what can ya do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

First, let of assure you that this is not one of them shady pyramid schemes. No sir, our model is the trapezoid...

Be a shame if they knocked them, but shur what can ya do?

This.

:cool:

Apart from that I'm out of ideas. Sorry. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Most recently, Bahrain's "Sheikh of Sunni Sheikhs"

Sounds refreshing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Archeron wrote: »

If it helps, you can crate up the yummy mummies and ship them to my gaf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭francois

Hysterical nonsense
    From wiki about the author

An article Ibrahim wrote on taqiyya that was commissioned and published by Jane's Islamic Affairs Analyst on September 26, 2008,[5][6] was later characterized by another author in Jane's Islamic Affairs Analyst as being "well-researched, factual in places but ... ultimately misleading"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

They'll be knocking down The Spire next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭oddman2

It's a hoax, rather unsurprisingly. Link.
    Calls from a Bahraini Sunni cleric to destroy Egypt’s Great Pyramids have been revealed as a hoax. The demands were made from a Twitter account which claimed to be owned by Bahrain’s President of National Unity, Abd al-Latif al-Mahmoud.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Even if they tried and I really really doubt they will - 99.999% of Egyptians aren't crosseyed ignorant fcukwits for a start - Khufu's pyramid alone weighs millions of tons and that's just one of three at that location, they're all over the place, it would take nearly as long to break them down as it took to build the bloody things.

Now in the past there have been a few nutters in power in the Islamic world that went a bit crazy with hammers and chisels, but they were not the norm by any stretch. Mad islamic fundies are a relatively recent thing, like within the last two centuries.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Aw let them knock the fecking things. They're so BC.:D Anyway, we'll still have this:

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Thank fup for that!

If anyone did try to damage the pyramids (any more than they already have been damaged) I'd support full on war with any nation that allowed it to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd support full on war with any nation that allowed it to happen.

I can't imagine such a thing being agreed upon at a national level. In fact I'd imagine the people of Egypt would go ape-**** if it was ever even suggested.

Advertisement