Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nixdorf Terminal - value?

• 13-07-2012 4:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A member on here (SteveSI) suggested it might be worth running this by y'all! I bought this terminal and paid a fairly hefty carriage fee to get it from Italia, but it's taking up huge space (still in the box it was sent in - no, not the original!) so I'm thinking I might be of a mind to sell it. It's very hard to get a handle on prices though ...

This here is the actual machine; photos are much better than my camera could manage so I just decided to link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matteoc/1395711432/

I've never actually powered it up.

T.I.A.,

Tony.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So it is clearly some sort of terminal that would have connected and controlled a mainframe.

German link with a tiny bit of info on it.
    http://diskettenschlitz.de/content.php?page=diskettenschlitz.content.museum.nixdorfterm

Maybe Dale has a bit more info as he is into this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Is it running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    Is it running?

It wouldn't do anything without the mainframe to go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Generally dumb terminals don't make much money but there are always exceptions. I've never seen this particular terminal and there doesn't seem to be much information out there on it? It looks like it's from somewhere between 1978 and 1982 (with a push of up to 84). Can't put a value on it but the higher end terminals seem to go for anywhere between £50-100 (you'll be hard pressed finding in Irish buyer). Could be completely wrong though; being so rare it might be worth a lot more. These sort of things are low in value because they're useless unless connected to a mainframe, the most you'll get out of one is a configuration menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ahal wrote: »
    I bought this terminal and paid a fairly hefty carriage fee to get it from Italia

Why exactly did you buy it in the first place?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Send it to Ulster Bank! They're in dire need of cutting edge mainframe technology.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Why exactly did you buy it in the first place?

I bought it because I had a personal link with the company ... I collect all Nixdorf stuff, but this is too damn big for comfort!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks like something people in the past thought the future would be controlled by!
    Awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'm fairly sure it could be converted to a serial terminal for any *nix based machine, would have a large geek factor.

Must see what I can do with my Minitel terminal :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

jhegarty wrote: »
    It wouldn't do anything without the mainframe to go with it.

I should of said is it powering up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

I haven't actually tried powering it up I must admit.

Hey, I've got a 1991 Minitel too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQX-wRYbzAU2fPdVHL3Lrwqgfi09MObpdw1ZL1wz5lKCwAkm6Sm

Advertisement