Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

promotional poster

• 13-07-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

can anyone reccommend a good website to design your own promotional poster?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

how complex is the poster going to be?

do you have photo's to work with?

I could help you out if you like, as long as your not too picky
    (not that I wont out effort in it, but I may be held up in work)

pm if you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I am a professional graphic designer and have done work for MA clubs before. If you are looking for a poster to be designed, let me know and I will have a crack at it. Can also get them printed for you too. PM me if you need any more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Actually I would be interested in hearing people's experience with getting posters done.

What did you do? Where did you put them up? Was it worth it? Would you do anything different if you did it again? etc.

Hey Doug, if you have a MA club I could give some advice about marketing it, drop me a mail. I have sent you a PM about posters but I can give you advice on a number of other avenues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

I did mine myself, used photoshop. Takes about 20mins though as an architect I'm very familiar with that program and design of course.

On design, I've learned to keep them simple - minimalism is the key! Lots of glossy photos and action shots can look beautiful but they become too busy to serve the posters primary purpose - to impart relevant information immediately. Noone stops and "explores" a pretty poster.
    If its for a club, then there's plenty of info to clutter up anyway. Name, address, times, price, links to style etc.
    Always leave tear off contact details, noone in this age of instant gratification will actually take down numbers etc. in fact on a number of occasions I've had gym "signage" (laminated posters) taken down an pocketed for the number!!!

I put them up in pubs, takeaways, newsagents, shopping centres display (costs, and definately not worth it!)
    The ones in takeaways and newsagents have worked but it depends on location, they need to be at eye levl.
    Years ago when it was ok to do so we used to post up on telegraph poles etc. these were the most successful but then again that was before the interweb thingy! ;-)

Word of mouth seems by far the most successful method of gaining "pressence", followed by demos.

A4 seems te best format, flyers are ignored, and anything larger may get refusals to place on windows / notice boards etc.

....... I've found using logos / brand identity to be more useful personally. Anytime I used stills from sanda fights I was called but always asked by a very nervous person on te other end of the phone if I thought they would be ok to train full contact. That's a DEFINATE downside of being a successful coach able to produce fighters, beginners are afraid that they may be thrown to the lions!
    I'd imagine coloured belts and silky uniforms have more of a draw to all but the most committed.

I'd be interested to hear from others too!

• Advertisement

I agree with Niall on a few bits, keep the poster simple but make it look professional. It can be minimalistic and look great but if not done correctly, it can look sparse and unfinished.

ALWAYS pick your main points and try to keep it user friendly. Have a website, even if its just a promotional page - they are very simple to make up and it also helps to draw people in. You can also use a QR code on the poster to link directly to the page.

Make sure that you are accommodating to newbies - I agree with Niall that a lot of potential customers can be deterred if they think the level is too high. Also, make sure that you point out the other reasons for the MA such as fitness, weight loss, confidence etc.

I am not a fan of tear away strips, I always think it looks unprofessional but thats just my opinion. I can see the benefit but a really easy web address or shortlink works and looks better IMO - plus you don't have to worry if all the tear aways are gone.

I am a firm believer in having an offer; FREE first class (or classes) is a great introductory offer. The most powerful word in marketing and sales is FREE and if you can get it into a poster then it will help immensely. Also, look into having open days once a week so new people can come and look/participate without feeling pressurised.

In regards to what size and where, I would have a range of sizes and tailor it to what they allow you to display (A5/A4/A3). Places like doctors surgeries, physio, barbers, dentists are great for a stack of flyers - people are bored and looking for something to read. Also, try to get them on the back of toilet doors in pubs/clubs, great place for people to see them and actually take notice. Shops, notice boards, garages - basically canvass any available business and put them in - offer discounted classes to shop employees in return for the poster being put up... thats a double win, you get the poster up plus more students and more students is more word of mouth and so on so forth.

If you have young people on school holidays ask them to do door to door drops but they MUST deliver the leaflets and abide by any signage that requests no junk mail - in return give them a few free classes.

Get external posters done if you are in area of high traffic or footfall - a simple trailer can be converted into a mobile advan with the most basic of woodworking skills. This can than be placed in ares with high traffic or footfall and because its mobile, it doesn't need planning permission.

Talk to local farmers about putting up vinyl banners on high traffic roads - again see if they will barter it for free classes or even work out a fee. If its a good road with lots of traffic it could really help get your club noticed.

T-shirts are great, especially if they are catchy as they become walking advertisements for your club. Again, car stickers are great, especially with a catchy tagline or graphic.

If you can and are willing to, a vehicle wrap tailored to your club can be a great promotional tool. Obviously this is not for everyone but its very effective.

To be honest I have a ton of marketing advice, lots of it wont cost a thing but a bit of effort. PM me and I would be happy to help.

I'm no stranger to Photoshop, and I could bang out a poster fairly easily myself, I was wondering if there was much advantage to getting a pro to do it.

I've found that flyers almost always end up going straight in the bin, but they are useful in the situation where someone is already interested and they want to take away a class timetable.

The website is really important. I think it needs to be nice and clear, and look like it's updated regularly. The less pages on it the better. Having a facebook page is really handy as well.

I'm no stranger to Photoshop, and I could bang out a poster fairly easily myself, I was wondering if there was much advantage to getting a pro to do it.

Would you rather be trained by a part time green belt or a full time black belt? I'm not saying that you MUST get a professional as there are plenty of very capable enthusiasts out there but generally a professional will have the finer details down to a artform... fonts, spacing, legibility, colour and colour reproduction with a printer are all crucial and can make a poster really work, that's not to mention the creativity they may possess.

You must remember that your poster is the first port of call for a lot of people and if it looks shabby, doesn't read well or generally doesn't get the point across, then that's what the customer will think of your business.

I follow the same rule of thumb with a website - If you can't maintain and update a website then you are better to have it as an information page and nothing more. It is very unprofessional to have 'latest news' followed by a post over 2 years old. Also, if you have a map, make sure its up to date and easy to follow (I always reference GPS coordinates too) and if possible, mark it on google maps.

Flyers are hit and miss in my opinion. They do work if they look well and catch the attention of the potential customer. Anything that looks cheap is on crap paper or with a jumbled message gets thrown in the bin whereas I have often found myself reading some of the better, catchier flyers. I do think that using a strategy with flyers and getting them in places where people are waiting or have time to kill, they can work really well.

Its all about trying out different practices, logging the outcome and then fine tuning your marketing. It can be time consuming but it really helps in the long run. Make sure you have a clear plan in place, make a list and log when bits are done and track the results... also, talk to potential customers, get their feedback and it will give you a handle on what you should and should not be doing.

So I ended up making my own poster. What do you think?

b29vY.png

Nice!!!

Likes the use of a single colour (red) on greyish background and especially the "negative" use of red for info at bottom (very clear!) also the break with colour scheme for the action shot.
    That's really relaxed and a pleasure to look at, no messy distractions!
    Nice that a judo girl throws a "normal"! Trained verses untrained and all!
    Simple, effective and you use the graphic to say more than any "spheil" could!

Good work!

• Advertisement

Nice that a judo girl throws a "normal"! Trained verses untrained and all!
    Yeah that was one of the main things I was going for, but I wasn't sure if anyone would see it. Subliminal marketing FTW.

Also, while it's a drawing, it's based on a photo I took in training. I like that it's nothing too flashy, just the regular stuff you'd do if you come try a session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd make the word fight a bit clearer, but other than that I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

I design alot of fight posters, i design the cage contenders ones, some past clan wars and more, if your looking something done sure you can contact me for a quote :-)

Claire

teamedesigns.blogspot.com

wingnut4 wrote: »

Sorry got to say (I know a lot of design people can't handle criticism but tough, after my core training back in the day ie 5 years of projects being torn apart in architecture college, all design professionals Should be used to it - all I can say to those who want to pat each other on the back and not critcise is get over it!) anyway, got to say the OPs poster is a lot more artful and poignant than the "pro" designs!
    His is simple, and clearly legible, almost pop-art, the "pro" stuff mixes a lot of photoshop techniques, too many! Its like a first Year orgasaming and "fcuking" Everything in, to show what they can do, Also it has far too much info and action photos, (distractions - too busy, i aint going to stop for 5 minutes to admire an advertisment! ) guess they never heard the "Meis" expression "less is more"
    Maybe it's my old school Punk DIY ethic or maybe simply my training in design but I'd hire the OP first anyday!

Also I'd leave the "fight" as it is, it's not clear true, but that causes intrigue, if it was clear it would "compete" with the "judo" which is clear! How apt! After all judo is clearly a sport to most, but if we look more carefully it is obviously useful in fighting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I like the general look, it reminds me of the layout of kodansha books. White text and red background is always good for me

Not too sure about the surfer guy being thrown or the fight logo

I was at home last night nursing a sore throat with nothing better to do, so I re-did the lettering on the "Fight!" bit.

FIs6V.png

Bambi wrote: »
    Not too sure about the surfer guy being thrown

If you're not into throwing people in board-shorts around, then you're probably not going to have a good time in the class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think that's much better. that little bit of spacing between letters is better. The style is still the same, so its not competing with "Judo" either.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Civilian Personal Protection

I like the pop art theme. Think the red along with the sharpy edges won't appeal to some. I get that the effect wanted was of one almost assaulting the senses, together with the word 'fight'. Just not keen on the sharp edges, but my opinion doesn't detract from the posters worth.

I like! I would change the font of 'Fight' to a font called 'Blaze ITC' and I think that would look a lot better and maybe have it outlined or drop shadow just to lift it a bit (thats just a personal preference)

• Advertisement

Sorry got to say (I know a lot of design people can't handle criticism but tough, after my core training back in the day ie 5 years of projects being torn apart in architecture college, all design professionals Should be used to it - all I can say to those who want to pat each other on the back and not critcise is get over it!) anyway, got to say the OPs poster is a lot more artful and poignant than the "pro" designs!
    His is simple, and clearly legible, almost pop-art, the "pro" stuff mixes a lot of photoshop techniques, too many! Its like a first Year orgasaming and "fcuking" Everything in, to show what they can do, Also it has far too much info and action photos, (distractions - too busy, i aint going to stop for 5 minutes to admire an advertisment! ) guess they never heard the "Meis" expression "less is more"
    Maybe it's my old school Punk DIY ethic or maybe simply my training in design but I'd hire the OP first anyday!

Firstly Ill not say what I think about the original poster, as the guys trying to do something and I'm not here to slander anything. I was offering my services, your right I didnt ask for critisim.

When your designing, you design for the client and their needs not by what my own personal needs would be.

Are you a graphic designer? Do you have any graphic design experience? Just interested to see if your opinions are something that I should actually respect or not

wingnut4 wrote: »
    Firstly Ill not say what I think about the original poster, as the guys trying to do something and I'm not here to slander anything.

If you have input you are welcome to give it. I'm not going to consider it slander. The posters have been printed now, but any insights you have may be useful if I make any future promotional material.

hey Doug, no problem I can give you some tips and help, what programs do you have that you can use when doing your posters, just so I know so I can give you some advice?

LOL, I know how to work the programs I use, thanks.

Firstly Ill not say what I think about the original poster, as the guys trying to do something and I'm not here to slander anything. I was offering my services, your right I didnt ask for critisim.

You are in the wrong trade if you can't take criticism, everyone is a critic when it comes to design as there is no right or wrong - this comes from 12+ years of design.
    When your designing, you design for the client and their needs not by what my own personal needs would be.

This is true, often the design that is published is not what I would have went with but as I said above, everyone is an expert and if a client is paying, then you do what they ask!
    LOL, I know how to work the programs I use, thanks.

Good or you. I am at this years, day in and day out and I am still learning new things.

oh no, you have me wrong lol i mean do you use just photoshop or do you have illustrator too

RoboRat wrote: »
    You are in the wrong trade if you can't take criticism, everyone is a critic when it comes to design as there is no right or wrong - this comes from 12+ years of design.

I guess I dont mind critism when its properly constructive,
    This is true, often the design that is published is not what I would have went with but as I said above, everyone is an expert and if a client is paying, then you do what they ask!

Totally true! Rather annoying but you get used to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

tweak.com

online design, decent prices... and irish owned

Few flaws like can't change fonts but not bad for simple flyers and the end product came out better than expected for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

http://rachelcorcoran.net/

Rachel has done branding/logo designs for Coolmine MMA, Primal MMA and SBGi. She's also designed some custom SBGi rashguards (the results of which are unbelievably good) and does a range of illustration & design work. It won't cost you an arm and a leg and you'll get the best in service and attention to detail. Very easy to work with and the results speak for themselves.
    FB Page;
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/rachelcorcoran.art

• Advertisement

Art from classical times has concerned itself with the use of decoration, masculine art stripped down to essentials, the bones and muscle, feminine art with "aptly placed" curves etc. to signify the role of the mother.

In a building you may have a simple minimalist facade with a "canopy" hanging over the entrance. Sure the canopy keeps the rain off users standing out for a smoke or something, but really it's "decoration" used to signify the entrance so the building can be understood and used effortlessly by all. If the same building had canopies hanging out of various windows on several floors well it would be decorative but to no purpose. The entrance would be lost to distracting technique! Ie it would be "effeminate" - curves and love handles on a man. That is what decoration for decorations sake is! Confusion!

The poster presented earlier seemed focused and simple, one could walk by once and gather all the information it wanted to impart, it functions well.

On the link posted, the posters, though perhaps serving a function other than what the judo poster intends, we're filled with techniques - superimposed print, fading photos, text in several areas, ie a collage of beautiful graphic technique. I found such "too busy", each technique draws one look closer, but together, for a passer by, I would imagine that it could engender to feeling of "ah, I don't have time to "examine" that!"
    So it would fail at its primary purpose. Such might work on something like a ticket to an event, something that the user might hold on to and turn over, rather than walk past.

Great architecture is not simply a collection of beautiful spaces, masters of the art create zones of "dis-ease" and oppression to engender "specific" responses in the user, to inform them about the buildings functions, without resorting to the bad architecture of "signage". If you have to follow arrows and text to find your way around a building you are in a **** building, a shelter, not architecture!

Technique, form and structure and absence of such are similarly used in martial "art" through feints and draws, enticing "certain" responses inthe opponent.

T.S. Elliot writes of the "Objective Correlative" regarding Poetry, where "the poet uses style and imagery to engender a SPECIFIC emotional response in the reader"

All art concerns itself with this "communication of intent"

I wouldn't imagine that graphic design should be any less concerned?

The thread has developed to seek out design advice, it is not a directory! I would not place links seeking work, and then not expect to open such to criticism!

As for the criticism I've offered, perhaps it's at times harsh, but I have also offered my opinion on what I feel is important in design.

I sat through years of design criticism in college without any opinions being offered as have many of my colleagues and friends in art, design and architecture desciplines, it seems the norm.
    The first architect to crit my work but also actually offer his own opinion was Tom DePaor, who opened my eyes, and for that I'll be eternally grateful!

Bit funny complaining about criticism on an MA forum, here criticism comes in bruzes, breaks and blood!

I quite enjoyed reading the first part of that! I understand some points of what your saying, some people like clean, clear structured design (I like this for commercial strong graphics) I do what clients want, its what they pay me for as well as my expertise, personally some of the posters I have done are too busy, I agree, one of the main problems is images, especially for example someone wanting images of each fighter with 12-20 fighters on the card. I design to my best with what images and information im provided and as alot of designers know this is something rather annoying! Something I personally hate doing but a few clients have wanted it and well thats their choice.

I would critise my own work for years on end!

On a debate side of things thats kind of not relevant to this post, im a great believer in pushing the boundaries with graphics, with not having to conform to the typical clean cut clear design (as i said im not talking about the links i sent you but in general with my thoughts on design), Look at designers like David Carson, the Needson Control Centre, fantastic creative designers that dont conform to what all other designers do.

oh and as you can tell im not so good with words...hence being an artist....lol

I hear you wingnut4,

A famous Irish Architect once uttered:

"architecture would be a fantastic carrear, if it wasn't for the clients, quantity surveyors and contractors"

I'd imagine alot of design accross many disciplines suffers when you hand over a masterpiece and the client comes along with their crayon..... ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

b29vY.png
    Good one, is that a chick throwing the bloke ? Based on an image of Ronda Rousey perhaps ? :)

Good one, is that a chick throwing the bloke ? Based on an image of Ronda Rousey perhaps ? :)
    It's from a photo I took in training.
    W0MCd.jpg

• Advertisement

Well after all that effort, it looks like I was upstaged by a bit of cheap innuendo from the golf club.
    hQvawl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

such is the way of marketing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

hQvawl.jpg

Looks great Printed out man (better printed thanon screen imo),
    nice work, your club should consider getting some t-shirts made up with that design on it

Advertisement