Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a (cheap) RC Helicopter for aerial photography?

Options
  • 13-07-2012 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a RC helicopter that I could attach a camera to. As cheap as possible.

I'd be using a Canon S100 which weighs 198g + whatever attachment/mount I put together.

Thanks for any recommendations!
    Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Not viable in your desired config. Also, you are still risking too much, that is if you any way cherish your Canon.

what you can try is getting one of these Chinook model helicopters. I saw them for sale last about 10 months ago and ominously enough they seem to have gone again.

Go and buy yourself a small Swann video camera - designed as a helmet camera for spelunkers. They cost between 39.99 and 100 euro. Don't pay more than 100 euro - not worth over that. Hard to get at the moment in the shops. I have one but am'nt lending it to anybody.

Forget about using a helicopter under 100 euro too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A heli to carry a 200g electronic payload would be something like the Hexacopter.
    It has a budget of 1500+ yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

http://www.rcgroups.com/aerial-photography-128/

Probably the biggest resource for RC aerial photography info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Just like coolwings says you need something like a tri/quad/hex copter.

Another great resource is http://rcexplorer.se/projects/projects.html if you want to go down the DIY route.

Also, what is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

the gaui 330 quadcopter will take a payload of about 700g, including batteries..
    so thats an option. So €400 for the copter, 200ish radio gear, 100+ for batteries, 130 for a mount.
    A 500 size helicopter would do it too (i have with mine)

How to control the shutter on ur camera.... when you have a model, and learn to fly it, get back to us :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The Doktor wrote: »
    the gaui 330 quadcopter will take a payload of about 700g, including batteries..
    so thats an option. So €400 for the copter, 200ish radio gear, 100+ for batteries, 130 for a mount.
    A 500 size helicopter would do it too (i have with mine)

How to control the shutter on ur camera.... when you have a model, and learn to fly it, get back to us :D

I used the t-rex 600 myself, it was a fair bit better than the quad as well.

Had a diy 3 axis mount on it.

Advertisement