Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you always get wrong..

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

when a woman turns up her nose, her face turns sour and she turns away in disgust I always think she fancies me.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

Where To wrote: »
    when a woman turns up her nose, her face turns sour and she turns away in disgust I always think she fancies me.
    she prob does but too embarrassed to say !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Always takes me 3 attempts to to put something correctly in a USB port.

Still can't tie my shoelaces.

I repeat, put down the SD card and step away from the computer. We'll tie your shoelaces back at the station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Jade182 wrote: »
    Apparently a lot of people who read very regularly have the same issue with these words because they are more used to seeing them phonetically spelled than they are used to actually saying them aloud

jesus christ

what way do you people read?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I dare not say 'organism' :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Backing a trailer, I'm terrible at it.
    It's easy turn around face the trailer and push it backwards :) Reversing a vehicle with a trailer attached would be more tricky but with plenty practice it becomes easy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Those Leaving Cert ''Solve for x and y'' questions.

Example; Solve for x and y:
    x - y = 1
    x2 + y2 = 25 :confused:

Honestly, there's countless correct examples of these in my old copies and I still could never remember how to do them and still can't. They're among the easiest of OL Q's and I still could never do them right on my own. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Chun Li

I get mixed up between the meaning of 2 words (I know they sound nothing alike).

Kleptomaniac
    and
    Necrophilia

Now neither one pops into conversation all that regularly but it takes me a good 30 seconds to process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

former and the latter

Everytime I hear someone say this (usually a politician) I have to stop and think about which is which

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

Gaining 1000 internets with a one-line sentence reply to a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

What do you always get wrong, or can't do to save your life?

I can't cook white rice properly. Always ends up sticky, which would be fine except I very rarely want it to be sticky. Brown rice all the way.

Top white rice cooking tip.

Boil as normal for ten minutes then turn off the heat.

Ensure the lid fully covers the rice and leave for five minutes.

The steam subsequently cooks the rice to perfect consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Lyrics/Quotes - Always get a small part wrong, even worse if it's in front of one of my mates who will instantly correct me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

The words shoulder and soldier. I often say things like "I have a pain in my soldier" or "the army have many shoulders" I've never been able to get either correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I can never remember whether it's fuel/feul. I also struggle with how many "n"s are in un/necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Culleeo wrote: »
    Trying to pronounce the word susceptible :o
    Cannot pronounce "subliminal" for the life of me..."sublibibiimal" is what comes out everytime! Tried to say it at a meeting about our marketing in work and was morto the babbling that came out.

Cant make white rice either. Boil in the bag ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I find it incredibly hard to pronounce the word "specific," despite knowing how to spell and pronounce it, and using it almost every day in work. It just doesn't want to come out of my mouth, and flops around between my lips.
    It never seems to inspire much confidence in my English-language students.

I'm also incapable of getting the joke in the case of usernames which are plays on words.

For example: My Name is URL. For a long time I pronounced "URL" as "U.R.L," pronouncing each letter separately.
    I only got the joke when someone pointed out, as though it were common knowledge, that it was supposed to be pronounced "My Name is Earl" (hasn't that reference dated?).
    Yet I still read it to this day as "My Name is U.R.L."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

My little boy came running in from school one time bursting to tell me some obviously very exciting news ... "Mam, Mam .. guess what? We had a "prostitute" teacher today ....!:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Real Life wrote: »
    i can never find the right hole

Theres never a wrong hole

I can't whistle

I can make a pressure cooker sound, but that's it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

bluewolf wrote: »
    I can't whistle

I can make a pressure cooker sound, but that's it

Are you sure youre trying to whistle with your mouth?

Are you sure youre trying to whistle with your mouth?

yes??
    and it sounds like a high pitched whistle
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

who and how I have to stop and think about which is which
    same applies with left and right..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Directions. I'm absolutely useless. I think I was born without that part of the brain, or I was dropped as a baby and had it damaged. I'm 35 and if you ask me to go left or right, I struggle to think where to go. I'm even thinking about it as I'm typing. Which hand do I write with. Ok that's right.

It can relate to the big things. Ask me to tell you what direction something is in and I'll struggle.

It can relate to the small things. I'll walk into a shop, look around walk out and walk out the door in the direction I walked from, even though I meant to go to the next shop. I got it from my mum, she's the very same.

My gf has incredible directional sense so we are well suited. She breaks down laughing everytime I just randomly start walking in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Directions. I'm absolutely useless. I think I was born without that part of the brain, or I was dropped as a baby and had it damaged.

It can relate to the big things. Ask me to tell you what direction something is in and I'll struggle.

It can relate to the small things. I'll walk into a shop, look around walk out and walk out the door in the direction I walked from, even though I meant to go to the next shop. I got it from my mum, she's the very same.

My gf has incredible directional sense so we are well suited. She breaks down laughing everytime I just randomly start walking in the wrong direction.

Similarly, I always have trouble telling left from right.

I have never gotten a USB into the port the first time.
    Its like 50/50 and I always get it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Was always good at spelling when younger. Never a problem. Higher end of the scale. But I've found recently that my brain is letting me down and it's bugging me.

I can't spell 'length' correctly (I had to try three times(!) there, thanks autocorrect). I really can't. If I'm not concentrating enough I spell it lenght.
    With other words that I mightn't be sure of, after I have wrote/typed them my brain will stop me and ask 'Oh hold on, was that correct? Didn't seem right'. But not with lenght. It really thinks lenght is correct.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I'm terrible at flirting via electronic media, truly awful. So I don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rocketchick

I find it incredibly hard to pronounce the word "specific," despite knowing how to spell and pronounce it, and using it almost every day in work. It just doesn't want to come out of my mouth, and flops around between my lips.
    It never seems to inspire much confidence in my English-language students.

I'm also incapable of getting the joke in the case of usernames which are plays on words.

For example: My Name is URL. For a long time I pronounced "URL" as "U.R.L," pronouncing each letter separately.
    I only got the joke when someone pointed out, as though it were common knowledge, that it was supposed to be pronounced "My Name is Earl" (hasn't that reference dated?).
    Yet I still read it to this day as "My Name is U.R.L."

I never copped the My Name is U.R.L !! i always spell it out in my head ;)
    I must be missing a brain part..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Theres never a wrong hole

Can we assume you're bi-sexual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Kolido wrote: »
    Can we assume you're bi-sexual?

Trysexual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

nig1 wrote: »
    my wifes eggs are always hard boiled, suppose nobodys perfect.

you could always adopt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Until last week i didnt know how to pronounce Hyperbole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

peewee_44 wrote: »
    I just cannot function before coffee stupid I know

A grammar nazi would say you get sentence formation wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

b's and d's if I'm writing and I'm 39y.o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    b's and d's if I'm writing and I'm 39y.o.

Well you talk like an urban kid, yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Left and Right

Also segue. i would hear in my mind

Its hyperbole to segue:

as:

its hyper-bowl to seeg

in reality it's

its hi-per-boleh to segway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Is it weird that i Dont know what OP stands for. I know it refers to the person who started tread. Thought that it might have ment opening paragraph but people dont seem to use it in that context.

What does it actully stand for?

• Advertisement

Is it weird that i Dont know what OP stands for. I know it refers to the person who started tread. Thought that it might have ment opening paragraph but people dont seem to use it in that context.

What does it actully stand for?

Original Poster, or post depending on context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Shopping. I always have to go and make another trip. Usually when I come back and the dog is giving me the sad eyes or I go to make coffee and there's no milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I find it hard to read the time off of a clock, I usually have to look at it for a minute to work out the time :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I hopeless with directions too, and telling left from right.

Also, I can never throw things into the bin, from any distance :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Always get my left and right mixed up. It has caused some huge arguements when I am the co driver:(.
    its not that I dont know which is which, but the opposite word comes out from what im thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

nimrod86 wrote: »
    I have this too, but what sentance has all three? Please share!!!

Also can't type properly on my phone cause slightest bit of oil or sweat on my fingers and every button on the screen presses at once! Damn touch screen! /First world problems

It was a paragraph, not a sentence. Its years ago now so all I remember was in our Geography textbook and it was about some political issue where rebels somewhere were causing destruction of local wildlife...really not important but all three words unfortunately cropped up in my paragraph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I have never gotten a USB into the port the first time.
    Its like 50/50 and I always get it wrong.
    [nerd]
    USB connections have a seam on one side and that side goes on the bottom. Or if it's a desktop PC with the ports on their side, the ports will be closer to one side of the case than the other and then the seam points towards the nearest edge
    [/nerd]

Advertisement