Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fhe

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056700153&page=6
    Its just after been in the last word. The story is TRUE and she is appealing the fine
    On what basis one wonders?
    Well done CaptainDarling btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Fair play to the ticket inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

question to biko. why are you always quick to close threads?
    i understand moving 1post into another to keep it tidy but i think its unfair closing when post is still active

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »
    On what basis one wonders?
    Well done CaptainDarling btw.

“Senator Healy Eames boarded the 6.50am train to Dublin in a rush, at Athenry station yesterday morning (Thursday). She did so on the understanding that she would be able to purchase a ticket on board, as she had previously done on recent occasions. She was approached by an officer from the revenue protection unit on board who asked her for ID. She produced her Seanad ID card. She offered to buy a ticket as normal. He told her she could not buy a ticket from him and and fined her €100.

Senator Healy Eames was shocked to learn this as she had purchased two tickets on board just weeks earlier, in June. She showed the RPU officer the counterfoils which proved that they were both purchased on the train. Senator Healy Eames has appealed the fine

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Was the Athenry ticket office open to sell tickets for the 06.50 Dublin train on Thursday morning?
    Is there a ticket vending machine in working order at Athenry railway station?
    I hope that IE will clarify the rules regarding boarding a train without a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

<<8. WHAT IF THE TICKET OFFICE IS CLOSED OR THE
    TICKET VENDING MACHINES ARE NOT WORKING
    OR THE STATION HAS NO TICKET OFFICE?
    Ticket vending machines are in operation through out our
    Network. These machines are monitored and regularly
    maintained to ensure that they are operational. However
    in the event that the booking office is closed or the ticket
    Vending Machines are not working, you will then be
    required to pay for your journey on the train or at your
    destination. Failure or refusal to pay the required fare
    will result in and Penalty being issued .>>

Btw they mention 'pre-purchase' which I take to mean buying your ticket before boarding, a bit like those incessant reminders not to sit in pre-booked seats. I suppose it's ok to use booked seats. Myles you are sorely missed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The official explanation kind of contradicts the second eye witness account mentioned but vindicates the op.

Interesting how quickly the batsign works these days for small town political hacks and their hangers on. Fear the internets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭squonk

Love the implication in producing her Seanaid ID card. Surely she had alternative ID? In my view were I in her shoes I'd have used another ID, purely to ensure that my public office would not be seen to be brought into controversy. Anyone ever remind her of the term "Conflict Of Interest"?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

I've been refused boarding to a train before and not been allowed to buy a ticket when on board.

It has actively discouraged me from using Iarnród Éireann as a result. It is common practice on every other rail line I've been on to be able to buy tickets from the conductor.

Very often the machines take ages to use, or are broken etc. and when you're rushing to get the train I see no reason to penalise people.

As regarding Healy-Eames presenting her Oireachtas ID, its a long-standing part of Common Law that representatives cannot be stopped or hindered on their way to Parliament. So if she had official business to attend she cannot be refused carriage or detained.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The reason the last thread was closed was simply that it's word against word and people twittering away like crazy. When it hits the real papers, then feel free to discuss it again - with a link. Right now it's an contradictory tale of a public figure saying stuff and that person may well sue boards for slander if it's not true.

So until you have an official source that will be it. As it says in the charter "free speech is vetoed for the welfare of boards".
    This doesn't only apply to political people, it applies to regular Joes too.
    Boards will not take the hit for what someone with an anonymous account claims they saw.

So see you soon if you have a newspaper source

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement