Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan confusion

Options
  • 13-07-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭

Applied for a personal loan with Bank of Ireland. Got the loan but they needed me to change my account type from Student to Current account.
    I said "Okay but is it fine to do that if I'm still studying?"
    Her "Oh, we didn't realise you're still a student. In that case we can't go ahead with this loan. You will need to go to your branch"

Next day I go to the branch and they tell me to call the loan phone number again and tell them I want the loan but am a student and see what they can do.
    Call up give the story and am told "Since you were already declined a loan with us there is nothing we can do, you will have to go through the branch"
    I tell them that I was accepted but had to cancel the personal loan and make a new loan because they didn't know I'm a student. What other types of loan are there?
    She replies "We're not financial advisors, I can't discuss other loan options with you. You have to go to the branch".

I think she didn't know what loans they can do!

Called again and asked what loans they offer. Got the same person and she said I need to speak to a financial advisor. I asked what loans do you provide? I can't tell you that over the phone.

Not only is the lack of information frustrating but it takes a few days to get a reply from each loan application so it could take weeks if I don't know what to apply for!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi fasttalkerchat,

I apologise about the mixed information you received.

When you first applied for the loan, the reason they advised you to go to your branch is we offer student loans which are available at a discounted rate. All student loans are applied for through the branch and are not dealt with online or over the phone.

Our loan products are tailored to the customer's specific need so although we provide personal and student loans, the details would depend on the customer's life stage.

If you could pm me your name, contact number and branch your current account is held with I will organise a call back for you to investigate this.

Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement