Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 64 bit SB problem

Options
  • 13-07-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Received my PC from Hardwareversand today. Nothing but problems!!

The main problem is I cannot install Windows 7 home premium SB 64 from the DVD drive.

The first disk, which came in the plastic case, does not seem to be recognised as a bootable DVD. This is the Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1. I do not get the option to boot off this dvd in the boot menu.

I have a second DVD which is the OEM presentation kit. The boot menu shows this as a bootable DVD but when I select it some attempt is made to install from it. I get a blank screen with a cursor which then times out to an instruction to insert bootable media.

Additionally the power button has sunk into the case somewhat and is now crooked. The case is an SG-08.

As an extra bonus, the motherboards has onboard wifi. I attached the ariels to it and one of attachments now spins freely as if it is no longer attached to the mobo.

My main concern at the moment is to get the OS installed. Any ideas why I can't boot from the DVD?

I am savagely sacked off.It's taken 19 days to get the PC ordered and delivered. I am loathe to send it back If I can get it going.

K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Klaatu wrote: »

The main problem is I cannot install Windows 7 home premium SB 64 from the DVD drive.

The first disk, which came in the plastic case, does not seem to be recognised as a bootable DVD. This is the Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1. I do not get the option to boot off this dvd in the boot menu.

I have a second DVD which is the OEM presentation kit. The boot menu shows this as a bootable DVD but when I select it some attempt is made to install from it. I get a blank screen with a cursor which then times out to an instruction to insert bootable media.

Additionally the power button has sunk into the case somewhat and is now crooked. The case is an SG-08.

As an extra bonus, the motherboards has onboard wifi. I attached the ariels to it and one of attachments now spins freely as if it is no longer attached to the mobo.

My main concern at the moment is to get the OS installed. Any ideas why I can't boot from the DVD?

I am savagely sacked off.It's taken 19 days to get the PC ordered and delivered. I am loathe to send it back If I can get it going.

K.

Have you set the DVD drive as the first boot option in the BIOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

K.
    Sorry to hear about that :(.

Have you went into the BIOS and selected the DVD drive to be booted first?

Are you sure the cables are securely in? Oh crap, you've got an M-ITX case. Good luck opening that :rolleyes:.

Maybe try a USB install? Download the USB tool from Microsoft's website and boot from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Klaatu

I have selected the dvd drive as the boot drive from the boot menu.

Only the OEM kit DVD when inserted allows booting from the dvd when i select F11 for boot sequence.

When I go into the BIOS with no DVD inserted I only get the HDDs (1 ssd & 1 hdd) as options.

The question I need answered is should I be able to boot and install from the SB version of Windows 7?

Could the DVD drive be faulty?

I have selected the dvd drive as the boot drive from the boot menu.

Only the OEM kit DVD when inserted allows booting from the dvd when i select F11 for boot sequence.

When I go into the BIOS with no DVD inserted I only get the HDDs (1 ssd & 1 hdd) as options.

The question I need answered is should I be able to boot and install from the SB version of Windows 7?

Could the DVD drive be faulty?
    Yes of course you should be able to, it is an install disc after all. Try a USB boot, that will answer some questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Eboggles wrote: »
    Yes of course you should be able to, it is an install disc after all. Try a USB boot, that will answer some questions.

btw, did you order the English language version of windows?

Just wondering because I have to install windows once I have my own pc assembled, do I just use the ISO dvd I created last week & use that as boot & ignore the german discs?

• Advertisement

Changed the Sata mode selection from AHCI to iDE in the BIOS and the OS started to install but I just got a black screen with a flashing cursor.

I have a 7850 and PCIE was set in the BIOS for the graphics output. I changed it to onboard graphics but the BIOS would not load. I assume the OS has issues with the card as it has no drivers for it and the BIOS has issues with the onboard graphics being selected while the 7850 is sitting in it's slot.

I am going to return the PC as the power switch on the case is faulty and one of the wifi ariel connectors is broken. So not much point spending any more time and effort on it.

I will get HWVS to load the OS for me as the case is an ITX and it would be problematic to get the 7850 out as the machine is chockablock full.

This is going to take weeks to get sorted.:mad:

K

Changed the Sata mode selection from AHCI to iDE in the BIOS

Why?

It's in the motherboard manual for installing 64 bit Windows 7 on that board with a non RAID configuration.

Gave it a shot and the DVD drive kicked in after rebooting.

It's in the motherboard manual for installing 64 bit Windows 7 on that board with a non RAID configuration.

Gave it a shot and the DVD drive kicked in after rebooting.
    AHCI gives better performance than IDE, just saying...

Advertisement