Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy Gun for a 4 year old

Options
  • 13-07-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Ever since i started shooting last year my god child has been driving his mum nuts that he wants to get a real gun.He's had a tough time lately so id really like to get him something to cheer him up.
    This kid is pretty sharp so the gun has to look real enough without getting any1 into trouble.Obviously he will be showing it to his little buddies etc so i dont want anything that is not legal to carry in a public place etc.

any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes, don't do it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

see how his mum and dad feels about it 1st,i dont see any harm in it as long as its not to real looking we all remember the fun we had playing cops and robbers and cowboys and indians,the kids in my area are out playing cops every night for hours,better than stuck infront of the t.v. or up to no good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

My 3 and 2 yo's both have nerf rifles, not realistic but the fact they fire darts makes up for that. One of the guns is a shotgun that ejects shells when u break it to reload.

But do ask the parents first. Some parents can be funny about their kids having toy guns

nerf are good toys allright,kids love them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

My young lad is 4 too and also gun mad! He gas more guns lying around the gaf than anything else and gelps me clean mine when i come home, he can strip my rifle and first thing he does is check its empty and show me it is. His birthday is in sept an im gonna get him an airsoft sniper rifle, you can get replica hunting rifles that take a real scope and bipod. Gonna set up a range out the back or in the fields and teach him about shooting with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

gearoidol wrote: »
    Ever since i started shooting last year my god child has been driving his mum nuts that he wants to get a real gun.He's had a tough time lately so id really like to get him something to cheer him up.
    This kid is pretty sharp so the gun has to look real enough without getting any1 into trouble.Obviously he will be showing it to his little buddies etc so i dont want anything that is not legal to carry in a public place etc.

any ideas

You can get an imitation shotgun,in a case with imitation cartridges.
    Really looks the part except everything is smaller
    Not sure of cost.
    Paul O Halloran in Drangan has them and I know he will post and I'm sure that other RFD's will have them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slingshot88

Vizzy wrote: »
    Not sure of cost.
    Paul O Halloran in Drangan has them and I know he will post and I'm sure that other RFD's will have them too.
    ya iv seen these they are as realistic as you will get,of the top of my head i think they were about 70 euro

Not sure of cost.
    €50 in stalkums in thurlas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Yeah you're bang on.
    Couldn't remember where else I saw them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slingshot88

seems like feckin everything is more exspensive up my end of the country:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

Not sure of cost.

Thats the job exactly.His father has a shotgun so the parents dont care only looking for a bit of peace.Anyone have a link to what these look like.Im in cork so those dealers are out of the way for a look

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Tesco do a shotgun side by side with cartridges for 20
    Looks well the part as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Just a sidenote about Airsoft rif's there lads it is illegal to walk around in public and has costly consequences also there not advised for under the age of at least 12.

In the last 3-4 years I've seen people do some pretty retarded stuff with Airsoft rif's and the majority have been well above the aforementioned age :rolleyes:

That said unless you want to import an actual rif that isn't intended to be a bb gun or to get a deact then Airsoft is the closest you can get without having to seek permission or applying for paperwork…

Iv seen some pretty stupid stuff done with airsoft rifles too and also not by kids!

My lads one will be used under my supervision only as a learning tool and locked away when not being used. He certainly wouldnt be bringing it out to play with his buddies!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

Iv seen some pretty stupid stuff done with airsoft rifles too and also not by kids!

My lads one will be used under my supervision only as a learning tool and locked away when not being used. He certainly wouldnt be bringing it out to play with his buddies!

Yeah airsoft isnt suitable at all.those shotguns in the cAse sound spot on ,I'll check with the rfd if he cAn get em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Just said I would say it seeing as someone said that "he probably would love to show it off to his buddies"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Smyths toy shop do a winchester, lever action replica, you have to load in the rounds just like the real thing and when you give the lever a pull they eject (quite impressively) out. Pulling the trigger makes your usual gunshot noise. My 5 year old loves his :D Think it only cost 12 quid or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

gearoidol wrote: »

I think it is a great idea.

I have actually taken the young ones out lamping, with only their toy guns. No real ones on anyone.

Wouldn't you know it, those are the nights we've seen six or more foxes and had a few come within feet.

The kids have a blast, although they are older than four.

However, even if you just walked in a field with the four year old and never had a shot, I bet junior would have a great time.

thinking about it now iv recently been in a few airsoft shops looking at different ones for my son and the ammount of grown men, and middle aged men at that, in these shope buying these guns for shooting birds and even one guy tell me he is getting it for hunting rabbits :( i ripped him out of it and told him to buy a tool thats up for the job and that people like that give real hunters a bad name. Pissed him off and he left but the lad in the shop told me loads if people ask are they good enough to kill birds :mad: i **** you not, just go look at a few guns in these shops and listen to the converstions. Can see it going like the uk if this continues and rightly so imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

monte carlo toy shotguns i think are the ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Can see it going like the uk if this continues and rightly so imo

... just like the 90's & 00's when they fished the $hite out of Ireland.

that is a top class toy!!youd want to be a bit soft in the head thinking an airsoft gun will kill a rabbit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

For the first time in YEARS I saw a young boy, in Liffy Valley shopping mall, with a cowboy gun in a holster. A real laugh to see as the holster was half way's down his little leg and he was hitching up the belt all the time.

I would go ahead and get the lad something. There plenty of 'Real' looking harmless guns to be got they just take a little finding. But do get something that shoots a pojectile (nothing to mad) as he can put up toy animals to knock down.

Advertisement