Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marlin .22 wmr magnum bolt action??????

Options
  • 13-07-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

hi i just purchased a marlin .22 mag bolt action camo finish
    it is second hand but very little use
    does anyone own one??or know anything about them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

I dont know anything about the marlin with the camo finish but a friend of mine has a stainless .17 hmr marlin bolt action and its a good little gun. Very accurate. Another had a .22 lr. it was a good gun too.

As for the caliber .22 mag I had one and Im sorry I ever sold it. Its a great wee caliber. Cheap to shoot for bunnys and crows and good enough power to drop a fox out as far as 150yards with proper shot placement. Give the remington 33g v-max a go, they were the best on fox when I had one.
    Id say you will be happy with the gun you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I had the same model and to be honest they were a pile of ****e, if you have just put your deposit on it go back into the shop and get a refund and stick your money on a .17hmr. You'll find it very hard to sell on when you want something bigger, gun dealers won't take them in, .22wmr is not selling anymore the .17hmr has taken over.

Sorry but you asked for advice and thats mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭darg

I have a Marlin 982vs-cf .22mag nice gun and very accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

thanks for the advice guys all helped but i still think i like it its my first 22 shot shotgun for years..im not to bothered about trying to resell it il keep it and get a bigger one but thats not on the cards for a while

@deeksofdoom what problems did you have with yours so i can keep a look for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Compared to other rifles I have handled the construction isn't up tp much, they just feel cheap.

Grouping was shocking too, although I did shoot a lot of foxes with it I had a fair few runners and a lot of them needed a second shot if I could evr find them. The trigger was also heavy.

If I were you I would put my money on something like a .17 HMR or a .22 LR, CZ have a great selection of rifles in different calibres.

The .22 wmr has its uses as a longer range alternative to a .22 lr for rabbits. They are capable of taking foxes but close in, I never shot a fox dead at 150m with one. Anyone who tells you they are good out to 150m on foxes with proper shot placement are talking rubbish, you might get lucky with a cub.

As for the .22wmr round there are better options out there now, the .17hmr has largely taken over and a lot of guys have moved up to the bigger varmint calibres like the .223, .204. Even the .22 hornet isn't as popular anymore.

You'ld be far better off investing your money in something like a .22.LR or one of the .17 calibres. You will have a hard time trying to shift a .22wmr when it comes to trading up, dealers don't want them they have gun rooms full of them that they can't shift.

I had a .22 wmr Marlin 25mn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Started shooting using a friends .22mag. It Was the marlin with the plain walnut stock.
    It was fairly accurate out to 80-100 yards and wasn't great after that. Its decent on foxes out to 100 but some do run.

When i got my own gun i went for Mrlin 917vs in .17hmr. Its flatter shooting and ive shot foxes that dropped on the spot out to 140 yards in right conditions.

The .22wmr wont hold much resale value. ammo is still readily available for it but it seems to be dying out over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Ive shot adult fox at 150 yards and got a clean kill. 150 yards would be max distance id push it too, most would have been at the 100 yard mark though. Sure it doesnt have near the killing power of a CF, and there are many calibers better for fox like .22 Hornet, .204, .223 etc.

But the .22 wmr 33g vmax is capable of killing fox out to 150 yards with proper shot placement, Ive seen it done.
    I think anyone who tells you it cant is talking rubbish. The limiting factor would be the shooter not the caliber.

Its not as flat as the 17 HMR but is just as good a round for the same tasks, learn your drop. Practice practice practice.
    Its a matter of preference. A bit like some people have a soft spot for the .22 hornet instead of the .223 or .204. I like the .22 wmr as a starter rifle, its a capable little round.
    And ya, resale is not going to be great on the .22 wmr, but if you got it cheap at a good price to start with and dont plan on trading it any time soon that shouldnt really be a big issue.
    Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

the finish is pretty plain i opted for the synthetic stock for more rugged use as t wood finish will get scratched to bad..the bolt action feels nice and smooth..i decided on a 22wmr as i wanted something bigger than a lr but didn want anything to big that its just stupid paying for ammo..its mainly birds etc il be shooting with the exception of mr fox who trys to pay the odd visit after my hens the way my land is i can let him in pretty close to shoot iv gotten a few with the shotgun over the years so the rifle is going to be a big bonus..it worked out at a bargin with a bit of a barter and its near new condition and came with a silencer

Advertisement