Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Account

Options
  • 13-07-2012 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey guys, just a quick question for anyone with a bit of knowledge on the subject.

I've been searching for a bank to open an account with to lodge work cheques. Bank of America and a few others have a $45 charge for international wire transfers. Is this pretty much standard or will I find one with a lower (or even free of) charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

My money goes the other way, but I recommend checking out local/ regional banks, they often have lower rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I paid $12 to receive a dollar transfer from Europe yesterday into a Bank of America current account. Fees presumably higher if the currency is not in USD.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ConanRTTG

Another question I'll throw in here instead of starting a new thread. I recall reading somewhere on a boards thread that using PayPal to transfer money between accounts is a cheap option. Correct me if I'm wrong but can't I link the 2 accounts (one Irish and one American) to Paypal and then use Paypal as the middle man? The length of time it takes isn't an issue here as I know transfers in and out of your Paypal account take a number of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

ConanRTTG wrote: »
    Another question I'll throw in here instead of starting a new thread. I recall reading somewhere on a boards thread that using PayPal to transfer money between accounts is a cheap option. Correct me if I'm wrong but can't I link the 2 accounts (one Irish and one American) to Paypal and then use Paypal as the middle man? The length of time it takes isn't an issue here as I know transfers in and out of your Paypal account take a number of days.

I do it all the time, no transaction fee and no bank fees on either end. rate tracks 3/4c below the actual rate. Takes 4/5 working days for the entire process. You get mailed when the money hits your Paypal account.

• Advertisement

M5 wrote: »
    I do it all the time, no transaction fee and no bank fees on either end. rate tracks 3/4c below the actual rate. Takes 4/5 working days for the entire process. You get mailed when the money hits your Paypal account.

That sounds great! So what's the process: top-up Paypal with one account and then withdraw with the other? And there's definitely no fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Perhaps you already know this, but the verb 'lodge' and spelling of 'cheque' need to be Americanized for now.

Although, its always fun asking a teller to make a 'lodgement'. The facial expressions can be priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

That sounds great! So what's the process: top-up Paypal with one account and then withdraw with the other? And there's definitely no fees?

When I transferred money from my Irish paypal to my US paypal, I was charged something like $5 per transaction. It may have been that I had just opened a US paypal account and had limitations on the account though. I think I had also sent it as a gift.

When I transferred money from my Irish paypal to my US paypal, I was charged something like $5 per transaction. It may have been that I had just opened a US paypal account and had limitations on the account though. I think I had also sent it as a gift.

That's transferring across two different Paypal accounts.. Isn't that different? I've linked both US and Irish to the one account. Should cost nowt?

Bump. M5 gave the answer I was looking for but I just want to make sure the process is correct and there's no fees before I try it out!

• Advertisement

Bump. M5 gave the answer I was looking for but I just want to make sure the process is correct and there's no fees before I try it out!

Yes, no fees for me transferring from BOI to BOA.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Hi OP.
    Are you looking to wire money from Ireland to the US? I wire money from the US to Ireland on a regular basis, and use xoom.com. They limit wires amounts to $2999, but only charge $4.99. The ROE isn't too bad either. Don't use the major banks. Rip off merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I'll second xoom.com, I found their rates were on par with Paypal but easier to deal with. I have an Irish Paypal account so can't link my US bank account to it so I gave up on that idea

spideog7 wrote: »
    I'll second xoom.com, I found their rates were on par with Paypal but easier to deal with. I have an Irish Paypal account so can't link my US bank account to it so I gave up on that idea

I had no issues adding a US bank account to my Irish paypal...

Advertisement