Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get me on the right "path"

• 13-07-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all, I'm a newbie trying to get started in the aviation world and just wanted to ask a few questions..

1, Could I do my ppl groundschool here in Ire and then do the flight training in Florida as I always spend 3 months every winter in FL.( Galloping racehorses:D) If this is possible wont I have to complete a FAA exam just so I can build my hours? Then wont I have to convert back.

2, I see NTC are doing a groundschool program for E500, Does anyone know if this include all relevant books?? doubt it though.

3,Any one suggest good books on amazon for training(personal fav's)

4,Whats everyone overall opinion of the APP courses in the states? I would love to do the whole Intergrated Programs in the likes of Jerez, Oxford etc but they're just so expensive...

5, After completing a APP course, how do you build sufficient hours to put yourself in a position to be taking on by an airline...? I looked at various websites advertising pilot/FO jobs most wanted "X" number of hours on type etc, my question is how do you go from graduating flight school to getting into the right seat..

6,I'm totally clueless when it comes to all the regulatory bodies, if im IAA approved on my groundschool does this mean I will have to do a medical here, I see schools in the U.S offering PPL courses but state that you need to do a CAA medical...

7, Would it be cheaper to do it here rather than changing all the licenses over and back including exams etc

Finanlly 8, If I completed it here with one of the bigger schools, would I stand a better chance with linking up a job with an airline as some of these schools have alliances with airlines??

Im sorry if this has already being covered I just want to get feedback thats totally relevant to what I ask. I'm really eager to this but I dont know where to look for good decent advice.PLEASE HELP :D

As I write this I can hear a great roar of a jet outside my window, a quick click onto EI7DAR and it shows a BA747 cruising at FL360 @492kts !!! :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

GoAround wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm a newbie trying to get started in the aviation world and just wanted to ask a few questions..

1, Could I do my ppl groundschool here in Ire and then do the flight training in Florida as I always spend 3 months every winter in FL.( Galloping racehorses:D) If this is possible wont I have to complete a FAA exam just so I can build my hours? Then wont I have to convert back.

You'll have to complete the FAA writtens if you train for an FAA licence. But when you come back with the FAA licence you can convert by doing the exams here.
    2, I see NTC are doing a groundschool program for E500, Does anyone know if this include all relevant books?? doubt it though.

Not sure but I imagine they would. But in any case, there's nothing stopping you buying them now.
    3,Any one suggest good books on amazon for training(personal fav's)

You'll need the standard textbooks first. I personally have not other suggestions. Maybe someone else has.
    4,Whats everyone overall opinion of the APP courses in the states? I would love to do the whole Intergrated Programs in the likes of Jerez, Oxford etc but they're just so expensive...

They vary but the main thing to consider is to do a course there leading to a JAA licence. Yes OAA and FTE are expensive and in the real world the extra expense doesn't give the advantage many think.
    5, After completing a APP course, how do you build sufficient hours to put yourself in a position to be taking on by an airline...? I looked at various websites advertising pilot/FO jobs most wanted "X" number of hours on type etc, my question is how do you go from graduating flight school to getting into the right seat..

You either borrow lots of money or you haunt the smaller operators for a job. You can of course go to Africa and camp out hoping for a bush pilot job. Other examples are skydive flying, air taxi, survey, glider towing etc etc.
    6,I'm totally clueless when it comes to all the regulatory bodies, if im IAA approved on my groundschool does this mean I will have to do a medical here, I see schools in the U.S offering PPL courses but state that you need to do a CAA medical...

You'll need a CAA medical for those schools. But at the PPL stage it's not a big deal. A trip to Belfast will do it. But whatever you should go and get a class 1 medical whether here or in Britain if you're considering a career.
    7, Would it be cheaper to do it here rather than changing all the licenses over and back including exams etc

It depends. But it's usually more expensive to do it all here.
    Finanlly 8, If I completed it here with one of the bigger schools, would I stand a better chance with linking up a job with an airline as some of these schools have alliances with airlines??

Any school that tells you that is lying. They don't. Some like OAA might get asked to recommend people. But that's it really. PTC famously misled their customers about links with airlines. The school will not get you a job. They might help but think about it. If they really had links why don't their Instructors get into the airlines?
    Im sorry if this has already being covered I just want to get feedback thats totally relevant to what I ask. I'm really eager to this but I dont know where to look for good decent advice.PLEASE HELP :D

As I write this I can hear a great roar of a jet outside my window, a quick click onto EI7DAR and it shows a BA747 cruising at FL360 @492kts !!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GoAround

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm leaning more to giving it a go in the US, seems more reasonable, even if its a bit of a pain in resitting the tests here.(Any idea on a rough price on sitting the exams here) When you say the standard textbooks im presuming IAA approved?? or is there a certain titled ones?
    I know there is nothing stopping me ringing up an FTO across the water but i just wanted to get a bit of clarity before i made a move. Do you think an FTO in the states offering a JAA would accept an IAA ppl groundschool and medical, This would make it a bit easier as I could start the groundschool now and have the medical done before I go over.. I usually head off on my adventures in late Nov early December until my 90day visa runs out but since im heading over to train I could get an M1 visa. Thanks again for taking the time..Much App

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭donkey balls

If your doing an FAA ppl just do the exams over there along with the training or else do what most people do if they have the time do the exams either in Fermanagh or Newtonards,By doing them up north the CAA/JAA schools in the likes of Florida will reconise them also if you get a CAA/JAA PPL you can at a later stage get an FAA PPL based on your CAA one as long as it is current.

Advertisement