Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to stop sterilising?

Options
  • 13-07-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

What age did you stop sterilising bottles etc? I'm heading away in two weeks when my daughter will be 24 weeks.... I've heard anywhere between 6-12 months - is 24 weeks way to young?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

When they start licking the floor :P
    I stopped sterilising soothers every time they fell on the floor around 6 months. After that I just ran them under the tap. However I continued sterilising anything that contained milk (breast, formula, cows) up to a year. I still sterilise his sippy cups every few days. Dried milk can carry a lot of bacteria so I didn't want to take any chances.

I'd say going on holidays you should continue sterilising but get a microwave steriliser from mothercare. They cost less than €10 and they're brilliant. It's the only type of steriliser I own.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

When you stop using formula.
    I would sterilise bottles until they stop using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

dublinlady wrote: »
    What age did you stop sterilising bottles etc? I'm heading away in two weeks when my daughter will be 24 weeks.... I've heard anywhere between 6-12 months - is 24 weeks way to young?!

Hi,

We went on hols when our little one was 5 months and we brought milton tablets. Just wash bottles as normal then soak in a milton tablet dissolved in water for 15 mins. Tasteless and we had no problems with it. Way easier than trying to bring a steriliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hi, I stopped sterilising bottles at a year with my eldest two, and will this time too. It was then I stopped using formula, and put them on cow's milk. However there have been occasions where I have forgotten to put on the steriliser, and only realised when a bottle was due. So I've just washed the bottle as usual in hot soapy water, and then scalded it all over in boiling water. I'm not so fussy with the dummies, if they fall, they get a scalding, or a mammy lick, whichever is handiest:) I'm sure it'd do baby no harm if you stopped before the year, but I did it to be on the safe side...

Advertisement