Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best riposte to someone who says 'Do you know who I am?'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I've never had soneone say to me '' do you know who I am '' but on several occassions I have had to deal with people who feel obliged to tell me they are teachers or retired teachers , they obviously still believe we should get down on bended knees for them ( you can probably guess I can't stand teachers )
    Once they mention their occupation I just cut them off at the knees by saying '' your career history is of no bearing on the situation '' .... love it !

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Do you know who i am?

Quick. Pass me the phone book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

"yes?

you're one a those.. côoonts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

The generally socially acceptable reply to that question is "Yooooore Maaa knows who I am anyway bucko" Always works..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Friend of mine works in a filling station and Pat Shortt came in to pay for his petrol, my friend didnt want to bother him with the ''well pat hows the craic'' apparently Shortt took exception to this and asked him ''do you know who I am?''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I'd probably get annoyed and ask them who did they think they were, talking to me like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

There was one time when I was marshalling at a sporting event in south Kilkenny (a local car rally). The problem was that there was a pub nearby and people were coming up from the pub after one or two (dozen) "social ones".

Anyway, I wasn't in the best of moods dealing with drunks who insisted in standing where they shouldn't and I encountered the "do you know who I am?" line.

My immediate reply was "No, as I don't read the tabloids and anyway, how does a name protect you from a ton of steel travelling at 100mph?"

With that, the crowd at the junction burst into laughter and the fella who forgot his name slinked away. it turns out that he was a local radio DJ who had a massive opinion of himself....

I'm waiting for the next time that's said to me as my reply will be "Ah that's a shame, you seem to have forgotten your name"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

Q: Do you know who I am?

A: I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you take your head out of your own arse now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

WumBuster wrote: »
    Friend of mine works in a filling station and Pat Shortt came in to pay for his petrol, my friend didnt want to bother him with the ''well pat hows the craic'' apparently Shortt took exception to this and asked him ''do you know who I am?''

ah now, I'd say there's more to this story than meets the eye...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

"I don't know. But I'm guessing you're a d***head now."

Originally posted by Delancey on several occassions I have had to deal with people who feel obliged to tell me they are teachers or retired teachers

You work for the teaching council.... don't you?!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Do you know who I am ?

Is it yourself, is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

It's been mentioned before, but;

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

0:17

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Working in a bar once a former taoiseach asked me for a pint, I said no, he looked at me confused and said "do you not know who I'am?" to which I replied, Yes I do that's why you are not getting served, now get lost......

Some of my regulars were shocked but also laughed about it all night and agreed that I was just right. It happened to him in a few other places I know of

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Azzhole: Do you know who I am?

Me with mock surprise: No way!!! it's not, is it? I can't believe it....Paul McCartney!!!! I love your stuff...My mates are gonna be soo jealous!!!!Etc Etc....

Azzhole: I'm not fooking Paul McCartney, I'm (lets say) Ronan Keating!!!!!

Me: Nah never heard of ya...Jaysus it woulda been great if ya were Paul McCartney tho, he's deadly...seriously tho fook off, I'm still not letting ya in...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

No .....are you famous ? i gave my tv to a fool a few years ago and i've lost touch with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Well, nobody else has told it.

A Dublin actor, fond of the drink, was working in the telephone exchange in the 1970s. A woman rang looking for a trunk call and was ordering him around, and he was telling her what he thought of her. "Do you know who I am?" she said.
    "No."
    "I'm the wife of the Minister for Posts and Telegraphs."

Short pause.

"Do you know who I am?" he said.
    "No."
    "Thanks be to Jaysus." And he slammed the phone down.
    That was Ronnie Drew, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

brummytom wrote: »
    That was Ronnie Drew, apparently.

I've heard it about a couple of people, some still alive and rowdy so I'm not mentioning any names.

I find that " I dont give a f*ck ye c*nt" works just fine.

• Advertisement

mayotom wrote: »
    Working in a bar once a former taoiseach asked me for a pint, I said no, he looked at me confused and said "do you not know who I'am?" to which I replied, Yes I do that's why you are not getting served, now get lost......

Some of my regulars were shocked but also laughed about it all night and agreed that I was just right. It happened to him in a few other places I know of

was it biffo or bertie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

To quote Eddie Izzard: "This is not a game of 'who the **** are you?'"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

mayotom wrote: »

I call bull**** on this one, must people cream their pants when the Taoiseach is around, unless you owned the bar aswell you should have been sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Your face looks familiar, did I see you on The Worlds Dumbest Criminals? And simply walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

I had a now-famous actor do this to me about 12 years ago. He'd had his first big role and I did know who he was.

He said "Don't you know who I am?"
    I said "No. Should I?"

It was rather effective :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

I had a now-famous actor do this to me about 12 years ago. He'd had his first big role and I did know who he was.

He said "Don't you know who I am?"
    I said "No. Should I?"

It was rather effective :)

Wouldnt be surprised if this was C.Farrell, he's an awful wanker tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Degringola wrote: »
    I've been living in hope for decades that some jumped so-and-so would ask me this question. Alas, it was not to be but hope springs eternal etc. etc.

I've spent many a happy daydream wondering what I would answer. My favourite at the moment is "Oh, you poor man/woman, are you suffering from amnesia?" accompanied by a treacly sympathetic smile and a head tilt.

Now it could be left short and sweet like that or you could then proceed to part 2. This is where you put on your most helpful face where you would ask them if they can remember where they left their wallet/purse as this might contain some card or other that would help them in identifying themselves.

In addition, or alternatively, one could also enlist the help of the surrounding public, as in eg. "Does anybody know this person, unfortunately he cannot remember who he/she is?" and maybe even suggest that an ambulance be called. Or would that be going too far? Overegging the pudding as it were.

All riposte suggestions welcomed as I'm sure most will be better than mine!

jesus christ. neither of those are remotely funny. they reek of tryhard

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Father Raboulah Conundrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Person: Don't you know who I am?

Me: No, but I know what you are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    A brother of mine works in one of those make-believe jobs for the unemployed in a charity shop.

So a person on the dole helps out in a charity shop (and therefore is helping vulnerable people) instead of just sitting at home on their holes and you have to be condescending to them? That's not very ****ing nice.

Advertisement