Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aslan Cover Boyzone?

Options
  • 13-07-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what are everyone's opinions on Aslan going from covering John Lennon to Boyzone.

Albeit the fact that Boyzone didn't write it, the proof is below for anyone who never heard the earlier version, followed by the new Aslan one.

Its funny seen as how Christy Dignam once slated Boyzone claiming that if they covered Crazy World it would be crap, and now they are the group whose back catalogue he digs up in pursuit of hit material.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

karaokeman wrote: »
    Christy Dignam once slated Boyzone claiming that if they covered Crazy World it would be crap
    To be fair, it would be. Both groups are bland as.

What would be gas is if they got the song from the songwriter without knowing Boyzone recorded it first :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Sinfonia wrote: »
    To be fair, it would be. Both groups are bland as.

I agree it would too, because the song doesn't suit Ronan's voice.
    Sinfonia wrote: »
    What would be gas is if they got the song from the songwriter without knowing Boyzone recorded it first :P

And if Boyzone stole it, like they did with the Mika song which wasn't meant to be written for them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

karaokeman wrote: »
    And if Boyzone stole it, like they did with the Mika song which wasn't meant to be written for them either.

According to the all-powerful Wikipedia, the lad who wrote it has worked with Ronan Keating a fair bit (or has given him songs to sing, at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

if boyzone didnt write the song then i dont see how its a boyzone cover.

i happen to think the aslan version is great, and i also happen to think the boyzone version is great.

the sad thing for boyzone is that they could release the best album in the world now and noone would notice.
    (not that they will).

aslan are by no means a crap band, they are just not hip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I remember when Aslan released this song a few months ago Christy Dignam was saying that he wasn't aware that it was on a Boyzone album previously but that the songwriter told him that the Aslan version is how he always imagined the song.

• Advertisement
Advertisement