Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work advice please

Options
  • 13-07-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all

Anyone any thoughts on who I would contact regarding my contract of employment.

I have been with the company almost 10 years.

I have never had a formal complaint verbal or written issued to me.

I would be the top sales person with the company.

I would have the same amount of experience as my boss.

I have never asked for a pay rise in the 10 years I have been with the company.

I did get a very slight increase approx €20 a week in the first few years but then the dreaded "recession" kicked in and I was forced to take a 5 % pay cut and to include Saturday work in my basic pay ( now its only every 3rd sat) but no extra payment or time off in lieu for any Saturdays worked.

I ain't perfect but I do a good job and have a lot of repeat clients

All was ok until recently until my boss closed the shop I was working in (closed for personal reasons btw not financial ....the shop was very successful) .

I used only see my boss for a day each week at most and maybe for holiday cover.I was then transferred about 30 miles to my new job which is a 60 mile round trip for me each day and it has been made quite clear to me that I will not be receiving any extra money for this.It has also been made very clear to me that there will be no pay increase this year (thats 3 yrs on the trot due to "recession")

Whilst I knew my boss was difficult I grinned and bore it for the short time I worked with them and I got by.

Now I sit and work beside this individual for 8 hours a day.to say this individual is "difficult" is an understatement.

From being rude/condescending/ and down right nasty to me , other staff including a member of their own family as well as customers she also undermines both your professional and personal confidence."sure arent you lucky you have a job........arent you lucky I brought you back to work here) is a common statement made to me and other co workers.

I had heard of this form of bullying from previous staff members but I honestly never realised how bad things were.

My boss is not someone you can discuss things with...Its fly off the handle first ask questions later so approaching is not an option.if approaches were made this individual will ensure she creates a drama about something else as I have seen happen many times.

I am at the end of my tether.

Basically what I would like to know is my contract (which I havent signed )

Is it still valid ?

Would it stand up ?
    even though it has very limited benefits for the employee and maximum benefits for the employer including not being able to work within a 10 mile radius of your last place of employment .as well as the ability to reduce your wages if business slows down,including not working in a similar business within 12 months of leaving ?

I know in the current economic climate you have to mind your job....I so know that

But in my business especially in Limerick no one is hiring and moving to cork or dublin is not an option for me.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

am so frustrated.

Should I go to a solicitor regarding the contract ?

Any advice would be very welcome and sorry for the rant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

You'll get a better response in the work and jobs forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Mod move maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Your contract will be deemed to have been signed within 30(possibly 60) days of its date if you did not write to the company indicating you would not sign it, thereby terminating your employment.

Your employer has not done anything (legally) wrong, but they must legally act on a complaint of harassment, otherwise they are in breach of employment legislation.

Put it formally in writing indicating that you are aware of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Moved to the Work Problems forum.

Advertisement