Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reel to suit rod

Options
  • 13-07-2012 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a double question really. I have been given a new 9ft Abu Garcia Devil Spin Rod as a gift and wondered if this would suit Spinning from the shore for mackerel or for spinning lures for pike, or both.

More importantly what kind/size of reel would suit this rod, with what breaking strain of line?

Sorry for all the questions.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

The rod will be good for both sea and river i'd imagne. I have an 9 foot light spinning rod rated 5-25gram that is great fun to fish with on river and sea.

Your rod should have a weight printed on it, what weight is it built for ?

Keep the spinning reel small would be my advice, size 3000 - 4000 with 10lb. line and off you go:D

You dont want a big heavy reel and heavy line as you wont feel much fight off a fish.

Keep it light and enjoy the fight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Keep the reel fairly small with a 9 foot rod, too big and the rod becomes unbalanced and it will affect your cast in a bad way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thanks lads. It's rated 40/80.

I will be sticking to the fly rod for rivers but thought I'd try sea for Mackerel and Bass, and lake for Pike now that I have retired. Would something like a Mitchel Avocet Gold 3 4000 suit? What difference does front or rear drag make? Sorry for the questions but I haven't used a spinning rod in 30 years and things have really moved on in that time. :)

Advertisement