Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donnegan's / Monasterboice Inn DISASTER!!

Options
  • 13-07-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

It is unfortunate that tonight i must write a complaint about a local restaurant. I have never written a public complaint about anything before so this is very serious.

Background:
    Donnegans (Monastreboice Inn) is a local restaurant in Monasterboice (just outside Drogheda) in Co Louth. Our family have gone here for years and it used to be the best restaurant i had even been to, until now...
    Today would have been my fathers birthday, he sadly passed away in February but we decided he would have loved a meal so we celebrated his memory today with a meal, thats when it started.....

We arrived for a booked table at 5:30pm, arrived at about 5:10 and got seated while we waited for the rest of the family, all good so far. Everyone arrived by half and by 5:40 everyone had ordered, honkey dorey!

We had 9 kids with us all under 13, two autistic and a baby in a high chair. All of who by 6:15 were still sitting patiently waiting on their food (COUNT 35mins)

6:20 came and those who ordered starters (about 5 of 20 people) got theirs, but no food for the kids... by 6:30 i specifically requested the kids food as in every restaurant ive ever been to they have had enough sense to being childrens food as soon as possible as kids dont quite have the patience adults (should) have.

Anyway 10 mins later and still no kids food,i complained to the owner as my mother was quite upset at this point. a full 30 minutes after this complaint (COUNT 80 MINS from order!!!) and still no food for the kids, despite specifically requesting the kids food they decided in their inifintie wisdom that because they gave the adult orders first in the kitchen that those would be the first served (The waitress actually told me this!!!).
    Eventually the food did arrive, but the attitude of the waiting staff and the owner was a disgrace, i as a mid thirtys man actually cried due to the treatment my family got.

In the end they offered us free tea and coffee, now isnt that customer service for a bill that came to almost €300...
    And also argued that we didnt specifically request the kids food first when we ordered, so it wsnt their fault, even though people who came in after us got fed their main meal before we got anything!

I know the above seems like a rant, but when the owners couldnt give a damn about customer service its time to start telling people about your experience. I know my dad would not have been pleased with a service like this and is sure not the way we wanted to remember his first birthday since his passing.

Sorry for the long post/rant but maybe others could avoid a (lack of) service like this!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

As a mod here , I have no problem with the name and shame concept. You have detailed your experience and I for one think that its outrageous that the children weren't served their food first. Tea and Coffee ?????? Why not ice cream for the kids.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thats terrible.... imo kids always get their meals when starters come out, this happened us when we went to a restaraunt in smarmore a few years ago, we ordered -there where 9 of us- an "important " family came in after us they had gotten their starter and main course before we even got our starter, so our kids didnt matter, have not been back since, speak with your feet, we now go to the valley inn where kids get their meals quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Little Pea wrote: »
    As a mod here , I have no problem with the name and shame concept. You have detailed your experience and I for one think that its outrageous that the children weren't served their food first. Tea and Coffee ?????? Why not ice cream for the kids.....

Thanks Little Pea, i even spoke to the owner while leaving and told her i would be posting my experience on every site i could find, she knows my name and who i am so i have no issue in naming and shaming, as i say they had plenty of chances to remedy the situation and i have never had the need to complain like this ever, actually i would go out of my way to commend people when a job is done well as these are the people who need recignition normally....
    Anyway be warned!!

gibo_ie wrote: »
    Thanks Little Pea, i even spoke to the owner while leaving and told her i would be posting my experience on every site i could find, she knows my name and who i am so i have no issue in naming and shaming, as i say they had plenty of chances to remedy the situation and i have never had the need to complain like this ever, actually i would go out of my way to commend people when a job is done well as these are the people who need recignition normally....
    Anyway be warned!!

I think Donnegans went down hill a long time ago myself, the steak that it was so well known for just isnt the same and I for one haven't been back and no intention to either :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I think Donegan's is one of the most over-rated places going. IMO they are trading on their reputation from sometime back in the 1990's.

That was disgraceful the way you and your family were treated. I'm not surprised you are hopping mad. Customer service well and truly missing in action.

My condolences on the loss of your Dad.

• Advertisement

thanks guys , appreciate the thoughts.
    You summed it up right, in the 90's you would get the best steak in ireland with the friendliest staff (you would miss Pat), those days are long gone

Pipmae wrote: »
    I think Donegan's is one of the most over-rated places going. IMO they are trading on their reputation from sometime back in the 1990's.

I couldn't of put it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

gibo, that's terrible service indeed, especially from an establishment so local to you. Also sorry to hear about your loss, I didn't know.

positron wrote: »
    gibo, that's terrible service indeed, especially from an establishment so local to you. Also sorry to hear about your loss, I didn't know.

Thanks Ash!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

why didnt you just get up and walk out? an hour for starters is simply not accpetable. i know you had a big crew with you and it was an occasion etc but sometimes you have to make a stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

You can't assume that a restaurant will serve kids first but when you asked they should have.

Their chicken wings are worth any wait!

You can't assume that a restaurant will serve kids first but when you asked they should have.

Their chicken wings are worth any wait![/QUOTE
    normally when we have kids there- which is not very often as its quite expensive- the waitress will ask do you want the kids food first - granted this would be the older waitresses........... the op said it wasnt that busy , 35 minute wait for even a starter is a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I know i sound like a keyboard warrior, but after 80 mins, i would have packed up and left.

Can imagine its harder with 9 kids though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Prices seemed to have come down big time in Donegans €300 for a party of 20 to inc 5 starters, 9 kids meals, 11 main courses, desserts ?? and no drinks not even a mineral??
    Sounds Fishy!!!

macadam wrote: »
    Prices seemed to have come down big time in Donegans €300 for a party of 20 to inc 5 starters, 9 kids meals, 11 main courses, desserts ?? and no drinks not even a mineral??
    Sounds Fishy!!!
    Drinks were bought separate by a family member. Maybe il scan in the receipt later if there are doubts over pricing. No deserts as it took so long.

do you think they where "stretching" it out to get ye to buy more drinks? seeing as how it was such a big party, where ye in the restaraunt or the sarsfield room, out of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Sorry to hear about that.
    In my experience most restaurants either ask when to bring out kids meals or automatically bing it with the starters. The delay was unacceptable and it would have been a good idea to leave but, considering your numbers the occasion etc, I can unstandardised why you didn't.
    On top of the delays the most worrying aspect is the attitude of the owners. It indicates a lack of concern for the customer, everywhere can have an off night but a place that cares about quality would be horrified and try and remedy straight away.
    We went there a few years ago and it was ok though not great.

Did she give a reason for the delays? What was the food like when you did get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

A few years ago a mate & I decided to treat ourselves to a couple of steaks & reckoned where else would you go?

Arrived in & took a seat.

Sat for 10 mins while four of the staff stood behind the counter chatting.

I got up and took two menus from the counter in front of them, one of them said hello as I did so.

Sat back down with menus.

45 minutes from arrival we got up and walked out. They were still having their chat as we left, not one came near us.

Reckon the comment about trading on their rep is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

i see there doing breakfast now,dont think i saw two cars any morning in the car park - bet ya would nt be waiting long for it ;)

had breakfast there last saturday,100% fast service , lovely food and not too expensive... myself , husband, 3 kids was under €30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

To be honest, I'm not surprised about the OP. That place went downhill once the M1 opened IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I posted on Boards about Donnegans before. Heard great things about it when I moved to Drogheda but the one and only time I was there I ended up refusing to pay and walked out.

I will never return there again.

*unless there is a change of owner/management.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rat catcher

My family used to go every week, but abut 2 years ago the service got really bad. When back for my birthday in April and it had got no better, and the meals were a lot smaller! I used to love the place :mad:

So i need to update this thread.
    This morning i got a call from the manager/owner to apologise for the events which occurred yesterday. She took responsibility for the event and acknowledged it was handled incorrectly. Especially in relation to how long things took, and how even after requesting kids meals they didnt come out quick!
    I admire the fact she followed up with me and apologised to my family for what happened on such a special event.
    I have been assured that a staff meeting happened yesterday and this has been gone over. A policy is now in place that families with small children will be asked when ordering if they want the meals out first.

I have to say that as upsetting as it was i felt that it was very big of her to call me to clear things up. She is also sending a voucher to my mother as an apology, i don't think it will be used any time soon but acknowledge that at least they are making attempts to right wrongs and who knows maybe we will give them a second chance too.

So maybe things will change.... either way i thought an update was the least i could do since the effort was made!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I wonder did you only get a call because she saw all the negative comments on boards. I used to love the place but have notbeen there in the past two years. The last two times i was there which was about 2 years ago the service was terrible and just never went back since then. It used o be such a lovely place to get a beautifull dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

gibo_ie wrote: »
    So i need to update this thread.
    This morning i got a call from the manager/owner to apologise for the events which occurred yesterday. She took responsibility for the event and acknowledged it was handled incorrectly. Especially in relation to how long things took, and how even after requesting kids meals they didnt come out quick!
    I admire the fact she followed up with me and apologised to my family for what happened on such a special event.
    I have been assured that a staff meeting happened yesterday and this has been gone over. A policy is now in place that families with small children will be asked when ordering if they want the meals out first.

I have to say that as upsetting as it was i felt that it was very big of her to call me to clear things up. She is also sending a voucher to my mother as an apology, i don't think it will be used any time soon but acknowledge that at least they are making attempts to right wrongs and who knows maybe we will give them a second chance too.

So maybe things will change.... either way i thought an update was the least i could do since the effort was made!
    I wonder did you only get a call because she saw all the negative comments on boards. I used to love the place but have notbeen there in the past two years. The last two times i was there which was about 2 years ago the service was terrible and just never went back since then. It used o be such a lovely place to get a beautifull dinner

Wow whether it was because of here or not I have to applaud the person who actually called the OP, credit where it's due.

To go back to a previous point , trading on an old rep. I don't know if they are or not as I've not been out in over 10 years, but it used to be the place to go for a good meal and everyone would mention it, now though ? I can't remember the last time I heard someone say they went there. That said I could say the same of a few places of that time these days :(

Nature of the industry really, people/owners come and go and standards rise and fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

whelan1 wrote: »
    had breakfast there last saturday,100% fast service , lovely food and not too expensive... myself , husband, 3 kids was under €30

What kinda breakfast choice is there whelan 1 ?
    Is it a monster grill up or can you get scones , porridge etc
    Have it in my head that it's pretty basic :confused:

i had an omellette, was really nice, husband had full irish, kids had goujons and chips and sausage and mash. cant remember what else, but i would go back for the breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I live right beside the place and would say have gone for dinner maybe once in 3 years!
    sadly it's way below the standard it used to be... Can you imagine the amount of customers they lost when the M1 opened? I know plenty of Northern bretherns that used to religously stop off for dinner @ Donegans.
    Having said that it always seems pretty busy... (well the car park does!)
    Still though unacceptable to be treated in this way and fair play to OP for standing your ground.
    I get awful stick for doing similar but that's what's wrong with this nation... the majority of us just grin and bear it for the sake of an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

i was in donegans about 2 months ago and i hav'ta say it was tip top, no big wait n a cracking steak.
    was in the valley inn in dunleer a while back and had a quality t bone, and noticed that one out of a table of four beside us had the same. went up to pay and the steak guy from the table near us was ahead of me paying. the guy on the till asks him was everything ok, no the t-bone was off, waiter says i'll take it off the bill. then yer man says a bottle of plonk was corked too! dunno about the wine, but he left sod all steak on the plate.
    from what i hear of trip advisor etc a lot of people threaten it on hotels, restaurant etc to get freebies, i'd personally tell them to go jump

Advertisement