Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless modem!

Options
  • 13-07-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,
    Need a little help here. We have a wireless modem but because or house is a relatively big house and old with big old stone walls we find in some of the rooms in the house we can't pick up the Internet both on the laptop and the iPad. I just wondering is there a signal range booster to to extend the signal? We can't move the modem either! Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

yes if your modem is broadcasting wireless, then you can get any wireless booster, i can't recommend you anyone as its all depends on your budget :)

post the one you looking at and i can tell you whether is good or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mikeen6

akamossie wrote: »
    yes if your modem is broadcasting wireless, then you can get any wireless booster, i can't recommend you anyone as its all depends on your budget :)

post the one you looking at and i can tell you whether is good or not :)

Thanks for your help. I dont have a budget so if you have a good idea which one would be the best i would try that booster! if you can post links to me that would be great too. I dont know much about them so im open to ideas! thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 alleyjoe

take a plan in which bandwidth is more automatically it will boost the speed

alleyjoe wrote: »
    take a plan in which bandwidth is more automatically it will boost the speed

Thank you but I don't understand what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

mikeen6 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help. I dont have a budget so if you have a good idea which one would be the best i would try that booster! if you can post links to me that would be great too. I dont know much about them so im open to ideas! thanks.

I can think of this for a lo budget http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-AirStation-Wireless-N-Ethernet-Converter/dp/B0046YXSZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342792480&sr=8-1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Do not get a wireless booster. Adding a booster (otherwise known as a repeater) will half the throughput of your existing network and add latency giving you a terribly slow and laggy network. Wireless is shared bandwidth and is half duplex. Unlike a wired connection that has one path dedicated for transmit and another dedicated for receive, you only have one frequency in wireless. Means you can't be sending and receiving at the same time. So if you were to use a repeater on the same frequency it will indeed cut your bandwidth in half. It is actually much worse since there is no way to prevent two devices from talking at the same time only a method to correct it after it happens.

It's much better to run cable to the other side of the house and add an access point on a different channel to your existing wireless. If you give this AP the same SSID and encryption key as your original wireless network and your devices will roam.

Edit: Or another option I forgot is to use homeplugs to get to the other side of the house, these are even available with a wireless access point built in
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-W307AV-PowerLine-Homeplug-Wireless/dp/B004KPLKO6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343035209&sr=8-2

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Do not get a wireless booster. Adding a booster (otherwise known as a repeater) will half the throughput of your existing network and add latency giving you a terribly slow and laggy network. Wireless is shared bandwidth and is half duplex. Unlike a wired connection that has one path dedicated for transmit and another dedicated for receive, you only have one frequency in wireless. Means you can't be sending and receiving at the same time. So if you were to use a repeater on the same frequency it will indeed cut your bandwidth in half. It is actually much worse since there is no way to prevent two devices from talking at the same time only a method to correct it after it happens.

It's much better to run cable to the other side of the house and add an access point on a different channel to your existing wireless. If you give this AP the same SSID and encryption key as your original wireless network and your devices will roam.

Edit: Or another option I forgot is to use homeplugs to get to the other side of the house, these are even available with a wireless access point built in
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-W307AV-PowerLine-Homeplug-Wireless/dp/B004KPLKO6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343035209&sr=8-2

Thanks for the help but I got onto my wireless provider and they actually moved the modem for me and all seems fine through out the house so something I thought wasn't goin to be fixed for cheap my provider did it all for free!

Advertisement