Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shootmania Storm

• 13-07-2012 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Got invited to the beta the other day, F2p competetive FPS made by the same lads who brought you Trackmania.

Playing the past few days and I've been enjoying it, nice and fast paced.

Anyone else playing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Just bought it, will let ya know what I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I bought it cause I seen alot of high level quake etc players kinda promoting it, but after playing it I don't see it catching on as a competetive game, there isnt alot to it and I find the movement and shooting system to be poor. Expected a game in the mould of ut/quake gameplay. Its a shame really, I`ll play it some more to see if it grows on me, at least its better than the generic crap like cod and battlefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,462 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone want a beta key?

I have 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Headshot wrote: »
    Anyone want a beta key?

I have 4

I'll take one please. Have been keeping an eye on this for awhile, looks interesting. Comments since haven't backed up the initial hype but would still like to try it for myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Out today

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-10-shootmania-storm-review

Will get it morrow. its not F2p and afaik was never going to be (F2p Sucks balls)

Anyone get it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Out today

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-10-shootmania-storm-review

Will get it morrow. its not F2p and afaik was never going to be (F2p Sucks balls)

Anyone get it ?

whats wrong with free to play?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Microtransactions would ultimately break the balance of play.

Microtransactions would ultimately break the balance of play.

How do you know? Tf2 works extremely well, and the last time I played planetside 2 it didn't seem massively affected by it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Whereas Battlefield Heroes microtransactions completely broke the game, as it did for NFS World.

I guess it just needs delicate assessing but there's always potential to mess something up. Either way I don't mind paying the price for this game, it's well worth it.

Burgo wrote: »
    How do you know? Tf2 works extremely well, and the last time I played planetside 2 it didn't seem massively affected by it.

I bought TF2 and it was worth paying for.

F2P games suck imo, rarely made well and always balanced towards the paying client. So just charge for it and let it be slated as a crap game than saying its free*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I bought TF2 and it was worth paying for.

F2P games suck imo, rarely made well and always balanced towards the paying client. So just charge for it and let it be slated as a crap game than saying its free*

Planetside2,Tribes Ascend,Path Of Exile perfect examples that you are wrong.
    I could list another 10-15,granted i could also list 20+ crap ones but in general its unfair to say F2P games suck.

Dcully wrote: »
    Planetside2,Tribes Ascend,Path Of Exile perfect examples that you are wrong.
    I could list another 10-15,granted i could also list 20+ crap ones but in general its unfair to say F2P games suck.

I disagree? so your wrong? planetside 2 not mad into, Tribes i preferred the versions i paid for. Never played the other.

I dislike F2p games and have yet to find one thats half decent.

I disagree? so your wrong? planetside 2 not mad into, Tribes i preferred the versions i paid for. Never played the other.

I dislike F2p games and have yet to find one thats half decent.

Yes your wrong imo to just label all F2P games as crap.
    So you didnt play Tribes Ascend yet say it sucks?
    Im guessing you didnt play Path Of Exile either?
    Im sure i could go on and on naming many more very good and popular F2P game that you havent even tried.
    Ofcourse your entitled to your opinion and i respect that but to generalise F2P games as "F2P games suck imo" is narrow minded.
    Just because you havent found one thats half decent doesnt mean they suck,im not surprised you havent found one because you automatically assume they suck and simply dismiss them.

There are loads of great F2P games out at the moment but specifically Tribes Ascend and Path of Exile are not only the best F2P games of the last few years but straight up at the very top of their respective genres in general. Nothing comes close to either imo. They are so good in fact anyone that dismisses them doesn't really know what they're talking about to be fair...

Big Knox wrote: »
    There are loads of great F2P games out at the moment but specifically Tribes Ascend and Path of Exile are not only the best F2P games of the last few years but straight up at the very top of their respective genres in general. Nothing comes close to either imo. They are so good in fact anyone that dismisses them doesn't really know what they're talking about to be fair...

What? Tribes ascend is ok, I wouldn't call it anything close to being top of its genre at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I don't see anything special in tribes ascend that wasn't done in UT2004.

Hercule wrote: »
    I don't see anything special in tribes ascend that wasn't done in UT2004.

200mph flag taking wasnt in UT2004 :)

Burgo wrote: »
    What? Tribes ascend is ok, I wouldn't call it anything close to being top of its genre at all.

How much of it have you played? For me personally it's far and away the best CTF FPS since TFC.

Dcully wrote: »
    Yes your wrong imo to just label all F2P games as crap.
    So you didnt play Tribes Ascend yet say it sucks?
    Im guessing you didnt play Path Of Exile either?
    Im sure i could go on and on naming many more very good and popular F2P game that you havent even tried.
    Ofcourse your entitled to your opinion and i respect that but to generalise F2P games as "F2P games suck imo" is narrow minded.
    Just because you havent found one thats half decent doesnt mean they suck,im not surprised you havent found one because you automatically assume they suck and simply dismiss them.

No i did play tribes Ascend .....but it was ****. its nothing like the game i paid for.

F2P games suck, its not narrow minded its the opposite. They provide a free game i play it and realise its poorly made and has issues but thats ok because its free.

I pay for a game and it sucks and its poorly made and has issues.....its not ok.

I know you are as old as me can you not see whats happening here?

No i did play tribes Ascend .....but it was ****. its nothing like the game i paid for.

F2P games suck, its not narrow minded its the opposite. They provide a free game i play it and realise its poorly made and has issues but thats ok because its free.

I pay for a game and it sucks and its poorly made and has issues.....its not ok.

I know you are as old as me can you not see whats happening here?

This post is just so wrong I'm calling you out on having played Tribes Ascend. You say the older versions you paid for are better but Ascend is an improvement in pretty much every way over Tribes 1 and 2 and I've played a hell of a lot of each of them including Tribes 2 at a high competitive level.

You say it's nothing like the game you paid for? Again this stinks of not having played Ascend as they have pretty much everything that was in Tribes 1 + 2 and more.

Also point out to me where it's poorly made and has issues? Name a few for me or even just name me one stand out issue. I'm going to take a guess here and say you won't be able to...

• Advertisement

After reading eurogamers review on this (9/10) I decided to pick it up and damn am I glad I did. Absolutely hooked on elite mode. For anyone that was a fan of Quake, Unreal Tourney or any fast paced competitive FPS this game is worth checking out.

Elite mode is basically 3v3, where you take turns attacking and defending. When defending all 3 of you have the standard projectile based rocket launcher and only 1 health but when attacking you play alone with your 2 team mates spectating and equipped with the instant hit and kill railgun (can't remember it's real name) but with 3 health. It makes for epic games with constant clutch situations. It's a fantastic competitive mode and the matchmaking and ranking system works pretty well. They also have constant comps that you can sign up for in game which is nice.

The biggest problem is the playerbase is quite low for a newly released game but it's picking up and rumours are it's going part F2P soon with them releasing certain game modes for free.

Advertisement