Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is that legal/eircom promotion?

• 13-07-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've just moved from upc to eircom. I signed a 12 month promotional offer. I got my first bill and it is much higher that the agreed price. I was told that the offer does not apply to a first month's bill and the last bill if I cease the agreement at 12 months. So practically I am only getting the agreed price for 10 months instead of 12.

Is that legal?

According to the consumer law:

Information on Goods, Services and Prices

Consumers are entitled to information which protects them from false claims about goods, services and prices under the Consumer Protection Act 2007. Under the act it is an offence for any retailer or professional to make a false or misleading claim about goods, services and prices. It is also an offence to sell goods which bear a false or misleading description.
    Claims about the weight, ingredients and performance of goods must be stated truthfully. Also claims made about how items operate and where they were made must be true.
    Claims about the time, place or manner in which a service is provided and claims about the effect of a service and the service providers must also be true.
    This act also covers claims about prices. Actual prices, previous prices and recommended prices of goods and services must be stated truthfully. Where a price is stated it should be clear what particular item it relates to. It should be the total price and there should be no hidden extras. If a retailer makes a mistake the buyer does not have the right to demand that the goods be sold to them at the marked price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

It all depends on the context and the overall impression that makes on you.

That means looking at all the posters and seeing exactly what is written on them - what words are used; where are the words on the poster; what font are the words written in;

recording what the sales people said to you -- did they just repeat what was on the marketing material salesperson; did they go off-script and say it would be free or whatever, etc.

I'm sure "12 months" was in there somewhere -- but you have to see how it was used. E.g. "FREE INTERNET FOR 12 MONTHS!!!" is very different from "Internet from E50.00** a month. (**Terms and Conditions apply; see in store for details)"

I'd also assume that Eircom's legal / marketing people are well aware of the rules regarding promotions -- the promotional material was likely based on a template used from a previous promotion and that had to little or no consumer law issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

mscaptain wrote: »
    I've just moved from upc to eircom. I signed a 12 month promotional offer. I got my first bill and it is much higher that the agreed price. I was told that the offer does not apply to a first month's bill and the last bill if I cease the agreement at 12 months. So practically I am only getting the agreed price for 10 months instead of 12.

Is that legal?

According to the consumer law:

Information on Goods, Services and Prices

Consumers are entitled to information which protects them from false claims about goods, services and prices under the Consumer Protection Act 2007. Under the act it is an offence for any retailer or professional to make a false or misleading claim about goods, services and prices. It is also an offence to sell goods which bear a false or misleading description.
    Claims about the weight, ingredients and performance of goods must be stated truthfully. Also claims made about how items operate and where they were made must be true.
    Claims about the time, place or manner in which a service is provided and claims about the effect of a service and the service providers must also be true.
    This act also covers claims about prices. Actual prices, previous prices and recommended prices of goods and services must be stated truthfully. Where a price is stated it should be clear what particular item it relates to. It should be the total price and there should be no hidden extras. If a retailer makes a mistake the buyer does not have the right to demand that the goods be sold to them at the marked price.
    contact the consumer people and ask them. they may allow you make a complaint. If you responded to an advert contact the ASAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

When you signed did you read the contract and what does it say about charges?

Advertisement