Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY placement

Options
  • 13-07-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have been trying unsucessfully to find vets that take transition year students for work experience. I found one in Blackrock but too late and they are full for next year. Does anyone have any info or know of any others ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

The Animal Welfare Clinic on Charlemont St. used to when I worked as a vet nurse in there, don't know if they still do, but they might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

katwoman wrote: »
    I have been trying unsucessfully to find vets that take transition year students for work experience. I found one in Blackrock but too late and they are full for next year. Does anyone have any info or know of any others ???

The problem is most practically all schools in Dublin have the same activity weeks. Are you looking in south county Dublin? Some of my ty students in the past have gone to ark vets (they are in a few locations) primrose hill vets (dun laoghaire), and a vet in Loughlinstown. Terenure vet also takes students. Dspca also offer work experience and community action (voluntary work) placements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I remember I did my ty placement in anicare vet clinic on botanic ave, which is in glasnevin. that was a good few years ago so I'm not sure if they still take placements, but if you were willing to travel north side, I would highly recommend it.

I had a great time and it wasn't just cleaning out cages. I got to go into surgery, although it wasn't the most pleasant of operations. The poor dog was bein castrated, but they were showing me a lot of points as they were performing the surgery. I really wanted to be a vet nurse. Im now a teacher lol

Best of luck with the placement!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cruais wrote: »
    I remember I did my ty placement in anicare vet clinic on botanic ave, which is in glasnevin. that was a good few years ago so I'm not sure if they still take placements, but if you were willing to travel north side, I would highly recommend it.
    !

If you're trying here make sure you have a cv/cover letter for them - we were waiting to see the vet one day and a girl came in to ask about work experience and thats's what they were told! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 katwoman

thanks for all suggestions, he got a placement in a vets in Bray and not the one that we use. I applied to DSPCA but didnt hear back. I agree that it makes no sense that all the schoosl having the same weeks mean there is a lot of competition for the popular placements. Not fair really!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement