Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stare

• 13-07-2012 10:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭

Drives me mad. People who stare. Go for a coffee most mornings & there is this freak, who makes a point of sitting right near me, or some place he can stare. And he just stares. Its not a fancy stare, its a freaky stare, like he cannot help himself, some sort of OCD.

People stare, alot. Not one myself, I find it draws unwanted attention upon yourself EG: staring at 2 people fighting

Hate it. Are you guilty?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The opposite of this. I barely even look at people, away in my own world and hardly notice people. This means I don't notice if people do stare except when with friends who give a crap about others like you, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

In fairness, if I saw someone with their pants on their face, I'd stare too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I dont stare but anytime I look in someones direction I make eye contact and they give me that "what the hell are you staring at" look. Its happened so often that I know whats happened so I dont give them the same look back which makes me look like the guilty party.

I no stare. I live in bungalow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Pushtrak wrote: »
    The opposite of this. I barely even look at people, away in my own world and hardly notice people. This means I don't notice if people do stare except when with friends who give a crap about others like you, OP.

Tell Moonface I say hi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Visit Tunisia- especially if you're a woman. You'll see staring taken to a whole new level :eek:

Germans love to stare also,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I no stare. I live in bungalow.

Why does your username fit now? Who commited this abomination? Tell me his name so I may slay him like a wretched cur.

Why does your username fit now? Who commited this abomination? Tell me his name so I may slay him like a wretched cur.

Stop staring at my username :(

No really, what? Did Danny make it like, wrap n stuff? It looks the same to me. Yesterday it look crap but today it's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

No really, what? Did Danny make it like, wrap n stuff? It looks the same to me. Yesterday it look crap but today it's ok.

Whats an oodles moderator whoopsadaisyd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Maybe he's just in love with you, strike up a conversation and see what happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Aidan_a

LordSmeg wrote: »
    I dont stare but anytime I look in someones direction I make eye contact and they give me that "what the hell are you staring at" look. Its happened so often that I know whats happened so I dont give them the same look back which makes me look like the guilty party.
    Yeah I can relate, maybe if you smiled when you gave a glance around people might not react with hostility? I dunno

LordSmeg wrote: »

But....they're looking at you too :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Yeah. It looks all wrapped to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

People stare for all sorts of reasons Dude....suck it up an chill the fuck out !

Take a look at yourself..is the lablel on your top sticking out ? Somebody could be staring at you and wondering "who is that dildo with the label on their top sticking out..should I tell them ?.

Have you pants on ...sitting with you legs "ajar" and showing your "bits" will attract starers...hmm ?.

If your a girl and have very big titts ..people will stare...probably muttering "look at the rack on that one...Jeeeeeeeeez "

Are you "strange" in any way..putting your knife in your mouth....have a lot of tatoos........are you perhaps very fat ?.......

Got a big arse maybe. ?....me ..I'll always stare at that...could I park my bike there ....wonder if she likes it "that way" etc etc.

All sorts of reasons why people stare.......just don't be concerned ....check out the above

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

People stare for all sorts of reasons Dude....suck it up an chill the fuck out !

Take a look at yourself..is the lablel on your top sticking out ? Somebody could be staring at you and wondering "who is that dildo with the label on their top sticking out..should I tell them ?.

Have you pants on ...sitting with you legs "ajar" and showing your "bits" will attract starers...hmm ?.

If your a girl and have very big titts ..people will stare...probably muttering "look at the rack on that one...Jeeeeeeeeez "

Are you "strange" in any way..putting your knife in your mouth....have a lot of tatoos........are you perhaps very fat ?.......

Got a big arse maybe. ?....me ..I'll always stare at that...could I park my bike there ....wonder if she likes it "that way" etc etc.

All sorts of reasons why people stare.......just don't be concerned ....check out the above

:D

He does it all the time & its an intense physco stare.

You're probably used to those kind of situations yourself the whole time though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

The stare has been a survival technique to exhibit dominance over peers since the dawn of time...There's only one solution OP -

Walk over to the individual, smack them across the right cheek with a glove and scream (in an Optimus Prime-style voice if possible) "I challenge you to a duel!!"

If they are willing to accept the challenge and produce some class of a weapon, exhibit your own survival technique - the flight response (or "Scatter!!").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

You must be a riiiiiiiiide. Pics please :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

But....they're looking at you too :confused:

Yeah I know but for some reason I'm always a split second ahead of them so I see them look over at me but to them it looks like I have been staring at them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

You looking at me? YOU lOOKING AT ME? You looking at me? YOU LOOKING AT ME? Err, No mate, I'm looking at the TV that's right behind you. Any chance you'd schooch down a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

How many seconds separate a look from a stare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I think the most important question is how do you see people that stare at you without looking at them yourself?

More importantly, I dont really care, let them look away as long as there is no abuse or physical confrontation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Pantsface wrote: »
    Drives me mad. People who stare.

Simple solution, it may go against your natural inclination, but it should work.

Next time make eye contact with the guy, then wrestle a snot from your nose. Examine it closely and deliberately, then recycle it. Disgusting I know, but it will put an end to your problem.

Simple solution, it may go against your natural inclination, but it should work.

Next time make eye contact with the guy, then wrestle a snot from your nose. Examine it closely and deliberately, then recycle it. Disgusting I know, but it will put an end to your problem.

Another lad who does it, and kept on doing it, last time, I stuck my tongue out at him - he jumped out of his skin

It was good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

That you again Samantha Brick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carbon Bootprint

Muckit wrote: »
    How many seconds separate a look from a stare?
    In Imperial, or metric?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

OP, say to that person "Take a picture . It will last longer"

That should get them to look somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Everyone in Ireland seems to be interested in what everyone around them is doing, nosey as hell! I like how in other countries nobody gives a toss. You can do what you want, dress how you like, etc and nobody will care. Just keep to themselves. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carbon Bootprint

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Everyone in Ireland seems to be interested in what everyone around them is doing, nosey as hell! I like how in other countries nobody gives a toss. You can do what you want, dress how you like, etc and nobody will care. Just keep to themselves. :(
    Really? You mean like Saudi Arabia et al?

Go fer it,dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

The power of a stare to ruin a person's carefully crafted outward appearance to the world is something I hold in high regard.

There are certain cultures who have mastered the art of the stare. See: this

You have to use this power moderately. Stare too much, and people won't notice you. Your stare juice runs out very quickly when you just do it for the sake of it.

Collect enough stare juice, and you can penetrate the depths of someone's soul by one glance. Over the top? Fancy pancy you say?

Try getting onto a LUAS packed full of non-nationals and you figure this thing out very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

cocoshovel wrote: »

True,but one thing I've noticed anytime I have been in Dublin is nobody seems to give a toss what you wear,you could go around wearing a bin liner and nobody would bat an eyelid.Not like that in culchie land I'm afraid.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Pantsface wrote: »
    Another lad who does it, and kept on doing it, last time, I stuck my tongue out at him - he jumped out of his skin

You sound like bit of a looper in fairness.

Take your pants off your face, theres a good lad and you won't be having no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I sometimes stare at people without known. I just go into deep though and I only notice when some one point it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

staring stanley staring stanley

Advertisement