Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Added wireless access point-lost network

Options
  • 13-07-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Have had a very stable wired home network for a number of years with an eircom router with the wireless function switched off (didnt need it because of cat5E network points and its location in a childs bedroom).
    Having purchased a couple of iphones and kindle e reader's recently decided to buy a netgear WG602 54G access point for wi fi rather than switch on the wireless function in my childs bedroom.

Took note of my IP settings etc on my desktop and plugged in the wireless access point into my destop as per instructions which worked fantastic giving excellent wi-fi but now I have no access to the internet from my wired desktop pc. As a result I cant get into my router settings to set up security features protecting the wi fi -its now open with no security.

I tried entering in the orginal settings under network connections (windows xp) but this doesnt allow me to connect to the internet. When I plug in a different laptop into my wired network this works fine (I think this assigns IP adresses automatically). Copied these settings for the PC but still no access to the internet.
    As you may have guessed not great with all the IP adress crack so any easy to follow solutions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Montgomerie

Can you explain your setup/wiring a bit more. I'm a bit confused.. How exactly is your desktop PC connected to the Eircom modem router now? Is there a network cable ran from upstairs to the PC? Is there only 1 network point downstairs? Or more? If so, how are these wired to your router?

According to the wg602 manual, the wireless security seems to be disabled by default. You'll need to plug directly into this, access the settings page and configure the wifi security. Manual is here if you don't have the full thing.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You only connect that model to your desktop to set it up. After setup, you disconnect it from the desktop and connect the access point to the wired network from one of your network points on the wall. The desktop will have to be reconnected to the wired network, or you can add a wireless card / usb adapter to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭986s

Can you explain your setup/wiring a bit more. I'm a bit confused.. How exactly is your desktop PC connected to the Eircom modem router now? Is there a network cable ran from upstairs to the PC? Is there only 1 network point downstairs? Or more? If so, how are these wired to your router?

Wiring is a structured set-up, router----switch----24 port patch panel
    24Cat5e points dotted around the house. This has been rock solid for approx 4 years. I have various Sonos boxes plugged into the Cat5e points, these all have had seperate IP addresses assigned to them, again no issues with these over the last few years.

I know the access point needed initial connection to the desktop pc for initial set up. As my PC was old and only has one ethernet port I used the spare ethernet ports on my sonos box to go access point----sonos port (which acts as a mini ethernet switch) ---desktop PC. When I did this and changed the PC's IP address to the one mentioned by Netgear I got no internet access to complete the setup correctly.

I think because I introduced the complication of the sonos box with a different IP address to my desktop on my network that this has caused IP address conflicts

MarkR wrote: »
    The desktop will have to be reconnected to the wired network.

This is my problem, when I re-connect to the wired network it wont recognise the original IP adresses, settings etc and hence no internet. If I can't connect this desktop PC to my network I cant access my router security settings to enable wi-fi security features. Wi-fi from the access point plugged into the wired infrastructure is working great but has no security protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You need to plug your laptop directly into the AP, give the laptop network card a static IP inside the AP's subnet and then login and change it's IP to the subnet of your own network, you will then be able to connect to it from your own network.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You need to plug your laptop directly into the AP, give the laptop network card a static IP inside the AP's subnet and then login and change it's IP to the subnet of your own network, you will then be able to connect to it from your own network.

Thanks for that, have a very vague idea on how to do this but will give it a shot!

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JamesGillic

Not sure if this is the same issue. I have the standard Eircom wireless router with poor wifi signal at one end of the house, All data cables are wired back to this point and I have a patch panel installed. I was wondering can I simply connect an access point into one of my phone points (where there is poor signal) that can be connected to the eircom router on the other end or is life a bit more complicated.

What is the best solution and AP for this problem?

Advertisement