Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile broadband alternatives donegal

Options
  • 13-07-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm looking for alternatives to mobile broadband in the Finn valley area of Donegal. At the minute iv got 3 mobile broadband and it's terrible were lucky to get 1mbps and our contract is soon up so we are looking for somethin reliable and not overly expensive! We have a phone line but it has never been activated so I know that may be an extra cost. Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I have a vodaphone mifi, I get speeds of between 1-4.5 mb depending on area.
    If it helps I will be going through the Finn Valley area next friday night, I can test it in your area if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mola1

I have a vodaphone mifi, I get speeds of between 1-4.5 mb depending on area.
    If it helps I will be going through the Finn Valley area next friday night, I can test it in your area if you want.

Thanks but it's rather stay away from mobile internet if possible,we had 02 and the speeds were quite good we changed to three as they had more download allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I posted about this recently in this thread. Can't even get 1 mb with Vodafone through the landline, so have sent in form to see if I get wireless from that crowd in Derry.

I posted about this recently in this thread. Can't even get 1 mb with Vodafone through the landline, so have sent in form to see if I get wireless from that crowd in Derry.

Thats something I could look into,their prices seem fairly reasonable too. I might give them a call,thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

When you say that the phone line has never been activated do you mean that its not suitable for broadband. If it were suitable it doesn't cost much extra to have broadband on it but maybe you are too far away from the local exchange for it to be practical.

• Advertisement

No I moved into a new build house and there is a phone line but we have never used it,I thought it had to be activated or there is a connection fee or something. Iv never checked to see if it's suitable for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mola1 wrote: »
    No I moved into a new build house and there is a phone line but we have never used it,I thought it had to be activated or there is a connection fee or something. Iv never checked to see if it's suitable for broadband.
    You should check it out. I would imagine there would be an initial connection fee but nowadays they different phone/broadband providers are making various offers so there's always a chance you may not have to pay the connection fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

muffler wrote: »
    You should check it out. I would imagine there would be an initial connection fee but nowadays they different phone/broadband providers are making various offers so there's always a chance you may not have to pay the connection fee.

Check with your neighbours and see do they have broadband and what is the service like, it will give you a good indication although not a guarantee of what you might expect.

You may also be able to add on an external aerial to those wireless cards, some do have an aerial port on them,

I saw a guy on here not that long ago that had an external aerial setup. It increased his speeds ten fold

We got sorted now. Signed up to Vodafone at home,pretty decent service so far,usually get speeds around 6 mbps :)

Advertisement