Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Emigrate?

Options
  • 13-07-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey guys!

So I graduated from UCD in May with a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering, and got to looking for work. I've sent emails to every recruitment agency on the island, and have sent numerous emails out(200+), and attended a jobs fair too. For my efforts I've gotten 1 job interview, which I alas failed at the second round. I'm getting a bit tired of all this waiting around, and I've always felt a bit bored of Ireland, so emigration is looking increasingly attractive.

I'm only hesitating because I have no job experience whatsoever, and very little savings. I'd be afraid that if I moved abroad I'd be in just as bad a situation as here, except without the luxury of living at home (and the lack of bills that entails). I'm going to keep looking for work through until the end of august, but my patience is already getting tested. On the flipside, I've heard there's plenty of demand for Mechanical Engineering graduates abroad, and I've got American Citizenship through my mother, so I could be on a plane in New York looking for work tomorrow.

So, taking all this into account, should I emigrate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

American Citizenship is gold theres literally thousands of Irish people, millions around the world who would give anything for that .

Its hard to walk into your preferred job as soon as you land in a new country . Alot of people take up any sort of job they can . Seems to be always barwork / serving in New York . and in the mean time be applying for the type of jobs you want .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I would, especially with the American thing. I plan on doing the same next year unless I can find a good job here. I've been checking jobs websites here and in England and its a no contest in my field. England wins and it isn't even close. So much so that I'm expecting to have to move abroad rather than find a job here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You should give it a crack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Get yourself on LinkedIn and start looking for company's you would like to work for. With you studies you could a job in Germany no problem and its easier to visit home then from USA. Lots of skype Interviews going if you start looking in other countries online for jobs you could have one before you get too where your going.

You as should you leave Ireland? Unless you love it there now is the time. You can always go back when things get better.

Good luck and happy hunting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

You should definitely head to the US to try and get some experience at work. That is the hardest thing to find in Ireland right now, especially as an Engineer.

I don't know about East coast cities like New York, Philly, Boston etc for Engineering. You would imagine there would be some work there.
    If you really are interested in work then you would make good money in North Dakota working in the Oil fields and companies there are more likely to take a chance on a new Graduate than in the larger cities where the have so many to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I've sent emails to every recruitment agency on the island...
    Stop wasting your time with recruitment agencies – find companies you’d be interested in working for, be they in Ireland or abroad, and target specific individuals within those companies with your CV. Obviously it helps if said companies have vacancies advertised.
    I'm only hesitating because I have no job experience whatsoever, and very little savings. I'd be afraid that if I moved abroad I'd be in just as bad a situation as here, except without the luxury of living at home (and the lack of bills that entails). I'm going to keep looking for work through until the end of august, but my patience is already getting tested. On the flipside, I've heard there's plenty of demand for Mechanical Engineering graduates abroad, and I've got American Citizenship through my mother, so I could be on a plane in New York looking for work tomorrow.
    You need to get yourself some money together and get yourself to the states then. There’s no better time for you to do it – you can always return to Ireland if things don’t work out.

There is one minor drawback - with the greatest of respect, a 2.2 degree might not get you very far state-side. You'll be competing against a lot of masters graduates. But, with a bit of determination, it might get you in the door somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Hey guys!

So I graduated from UCD in May with a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering, and got to looking for work. I've sent emails to every recruitment agency on the island, and have sent numerous emails out(200+), and attended a jobs fair too. For my efforts I've gotten 1 job interview, which I alas failed at the second round. I'm getting a bit tired of all this waiting around, and I've always felt a bit bored of Ireland, so emigration is looking increasingly attractive.

So, taking all this into account, should I emigrate?
    I was an engineer with merely a couple of internships when I came to the US without citizenship and I had no problem finding work. Do you have family over here? I could give you some tips.

Advertisement