Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abonnaration

Options
  • 13-07-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Lads/ladies, this thread is dedicated to Patrick 'Bonnar' Maher, who may never make Tipps most stylish hurling accolades, but Tipp hurling is nothing without this style of hurler who emanates all that is brave, courageous and manful about the game of hurling.
    For example: Would Tipp ever have got past Cork this year if we didn't have a 'bonnar' in our pack? I say never!
    We need to show our appreciation to this hurler (and this style of hurler) whose main contribution as a team-player, can inspire, indeed transform an ordinary team into something to talk about years after we witness these guys in action. So lets here it for... ABONNARATION And let other teams beware!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

sideboard wrote: »
    Lads/ladies, this thread is dedicated to Patrick 'Bonnar' Maher, who may never make Tipps most stylish hurling accolades, but Tipp hurling is nothing without this style of hurler who emanates all that is brave, courageous and manful about the game of hurling.
    For example: Would Tipp ever have got past Cork this year if we didn't have a 'bonnar' in our pack? I say never!
    We need to show our appreciation to this hurler (and this style of hurler) whose main contribution as a team-player, can inspire, indeed transform an ordinary team into something to talk about years after we witness these guys in action. So lets here it for... ABONNARATION And let other teams beware!!!

Can I add Paraic Maher to this list...these lads are the hurlers to get us over Waterford and hopefully onto a great 2012. Bring it on to September :D:D:D

sideboard wrote: »
    Lads/ladies, this thread is dedicated to Patrick 'Bonnar' Maher, who may never make Tipps most stylish hurling accolades, but Tipp hurling is nothing without this style of hurler

I disagree with those who say Bonnar isnt a good sticksman. I remember Bonnar full forward as a minor

Bonnar has unbelievable vision and no shortage of skill. Despite having a quieter than usual game on one or two occasions he spotted men free from the corner of his eye yesterday at the opposite side of the field and played perfect balls over. His one to one finishing might be rusty but i dont buy into this theory that the boy cant hurl. He shows some wonderful touches in games.

He sacrifices his own game to a great extent for the good of the team. LEGEND!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

I disagree with those who say Bonnar isnt a good sticksman. I remember Bonnar full forward as a minor

Bonnar has unbelievable vision and no shortage of skill. Despite having a quieter than usual game on one or two occasions he spotted men free from the corner of his eye yesterday at the opposite side of the field and played perfect balls over. His one to one finishing might be rusty but i dont buy into this theory that the boy cant hurl. He shows some wonderful touches in games.

He sacrifices his own game to a great extent for the good of the team. LEGEND!!

Hope that you were not taking me up as one of those who claim "that the boy cant hurl".
    I am a huge fan of Bonnars, but the point that I was trying to emphasize is Bonnars gift of winning ball and then immediately looking to 'take on the opposition backs' and at the same time, spotting a team-mate in a better position to pass to, as Bonnar has drawn most backs onto himself, aka JOB's goal yesterday. It simply would never have happened without Bonnar. Lar brought touches of this 'playmaker' too yesterday, but this is what we have been missing for so long amongst our forwards...and how wonderful to see it once again on a Tipp Team!
    I agree with you too, "Legend"!!

Rumour has it Bonnar died in 1885. The grim reaper is just too scared to come claim him.

Bonnar blowing a bit of glass here. Given his energy id say he blew it so big there is now a family of whales living in it.

666149.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

Must try to upload a picture from Nenagh Guardian...Bonnar (with Brian Whelehan) in 1880's attire, celebrating 125years of hurling. The irony is, Bonnar looks just at home in the victorian regalia as much as he does in todays outfit! Definitely the label 'LEGEND' is most appropriate. :cool:

Advertisement