Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morbid but need to know

Options
  • 13-07-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys. My fiance and I recently acquired a house from the Council, after a long time waiting.
    I know this sounds morbid and not what we should be thinking about, but we did discuss it the other night...what happens if one of us dies?
    Does the remaining person get to stay in the home?
    We have a two bedroom house.
    Both our names are on the Tenancy Agreement and the Council rent payment card, so I assume the lease is in both our names.
    Just want to know to make us feel at ease.
    Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

This may come across a bit harsh, and i would hope it would not happen immediately after a partner died however I believe people getting houses from the council should be provided with a house to suit their needs. That is the councils goal in the first place?

Would it be right that another couple desperately seeking a home from the council be refused because some of the houses suited for 2 or more are already taken by a person living alone.

As for what happens in reality I have no clue knowing our government and its efficiency they might even move you to a bigger house!

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i know a bloke ,father died, council transfered him to flat,
    from 3bed house .
    Now a family lives in that house.
    but i know another bloke ,lives in a 3bed council,house by himself.The 3 children moved out as they grew older.
    the council wont sell him the house, cos hes married ,
    wife moved out in 2001.
    The councils have rules, a single person has no right to stay
    in a 3bed house for obvious reasons .
    What happens in practice,is most people after ten years buy the house,
    if they are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

Hi guys. My fiance and I recently acquired a house from the Council, after a long time waiting.
    I know this sounds morbid and not what we should be thinking about, but we did discuss it the other night...what happens if one of us dies?

Does it take that long to get a council house in a country where the state owns the largest property portfolio in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

I know this is off topic but perhaps someone knows,

1. Why do they have the write to buy the property at all.
    2. Is it sold to them at the market rate.
    3. Surely if they are working they no longer require the support of the council and should enter the private housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

They pay market rate less 3% for every year they are council tenants but this is coming to an end this year. Thing about buying off the council is you can't make an offer on it. They give u a price and u buy it or not. Chances are in this market if they did buy it they would make a hefty loss in future if they tried to sell it. So its not really the handy number most people think it is.

I know this is off topic but perhaps someone knows,

1. Why do they have the write to buy the property at all.
    2. Is it sold to them at the market rate.
    3. Surely if they are working they no longer require the support of the council and should enter the private housing market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

MOST People i know who were tenants bought their homes,they,d get a certain price minus, x per cent per year of tenancy.
    When you are working you pay more rent,plus anyone working,son , relative ,is considered in rent calculation.
    The council don,t evict people who get a job, they just raise the rent .
    I know estates ,that are 95 per cent purchased,
    theres hardly any tenants left in them.
    I think councils all have slightly different policy,s , i dont
    think its worth worrying about.
    you also have the option of buying a private house
    ,if your income increases .

Nama owns alot of property ,but theres
    no sign of them getting transfered to council
    ownership.

IF you payed 250k, for an apartment
    would you be happy if 100 units in your complex, were given over to council tenants?
    AS above i believe if someone can afford to buy a private house ,
    they should move out of council housing .
    You could ask the council,what happens if one person passes away,
    or ask in centrecare advice center.
    IT takes a long time , probably because most houses in all
    but the worst estates have been sold to the former tenants.
    And most councils are building very few new units.
    i don,t want to be rude ,but just being on the council lease
    does not entitle a person to stay in a large house by themselves.
    IN my experience ,people only get council houses now,
    if they have 2 kids, or if they are on disability allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

OP the Council Housing Officer will be the best person to answer your question. I imagine the remaining partner would not be evicted, although possibly there would be a housing and rent review?

Advertisement