Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie question: What reactions do you get in public?

Options
  • 14-07-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Well I've just taken the plunge and ordered my first ecig! Thanks to some good advice here last week, I avoided the cheap disposables and opted for the Joye 510 starter kit just to get the ball rolling. (I know I'll want to upgrade soon enough but with so many choices I couldn't make my mind up!). So I should receive it on Monday and I'm really excited to start vaping.

But I'm slightly apprehensive about what reactions to expect in public; hoping some of you can share your experiences.

Do you get much attention from strangers when vaping out and about? Do people give you funny looks or ask a lot of questions, or want to try your ecig?

Obviously I'd be delighted to explain it all to genuinely interested people and spread some awareness, but on the other hand I don't want to be constantly fending off curious strangers when I'm walking through town. (I live in Dublin city, so I get asked for a 'spare smoke' several times a day as it is!).

So do you get much unwanted attention and if so how do you deal with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Tope wrote: »
    So do you get much unwanted attention and if so how do you deal with it?

I don't do it in front of scobes, so that removes possibility of trouble.

Auld ones at the bus-stop think I'm doing drugs, and give me sharp looks, like I'm double-dropping cake.

I get asked about it a fair bit when out - most people choke when they try it first, even though i tell them not to... Oh, too late, lung-inhale.

A large amount seem to think nicotine is the carcinogen in cigarettes (NRT, hello?).

Most guys (that I've met, IMO, etc, etc.) want one once they're done with it, most girls (that I've met, IMO, etc, etc.) think it's the same as smoking because "I mean, you're still addicted, like...", so why bother to switch?

Even if it had the same risk of cancer, surely it's worth it to be able to run up stairs without getting breathless, and to taste food properly again?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Yeah, I'm guessing I'll have to watch out for the scummier element all right, not too worried about old ladies but I can imagine I'll get some looks! Hopefully some day these things will be widespread and people won't bat an eyelid.

I've already got the “but isn't nicotine bad for you?” and “sure you'll still be addicted, why don't you just quit cold turkey?” reactions when I told some friends I was planning to get one. I can see myself repeating the same explanations over and over!

Interesting that you've found a difference between male and female reactions – I'm a girl but I think I'm in the minority! I imagine guys might generally be more interested in the technological/gadget aspect of it (IMO, etc.:) ) One male friend of mine has tried the disposable Jasper ecigs and didn't think much of them, so I'm looking forward to converting him when I get my Joye!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chacal

The only questions I get are from genuinely interested people who are eager to learn. My OH is a vaper as well so people certainly notice when there are two of you vaping but I've had no problems. Was apprehensive at first but you get over that fairly quickly

Thanks, that's good to hear - I'm sure I'm being a little paranoid and will get on grand, just imagining the worst!
    I'll be happy to talk to anyone who's genuinely interested, I'm really enthusiastic about it now and I haven't even started yet! I've already learned so much from this forum and on Youtube so I'll be passing on all my info to anyone who wants to know.
    Just think I'll be a bit self-conscious at first when I'm vaping on my own, but it'll be worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Well I've just taken the plunge and ordered my first ecig! Thanks to some good advice here last week, I avoided the cheap disposables and opted for the Joye 510 starter kit just to get the ball rolling. (I know I'll want to upgrade soon enough but with so many choices I couldn't make my mind up!). So I should receive it on Monday and I'm really excited to start vaping.

But I'm slightly apprehensive about what reactions to expect in public; hoping some of you can share your experiences.

I went the same route as you with my first kit being the Joye 510, what a mistake that was, but like always diving straight in without thoroughly checking things out in detail. Had to keep topping up the tip almost after every 10 mins of puffing on it, even though it was still enough to keep me off fags.

Wasn't until I bought my 3 twist batteries that I could really enjoy vaping for hours on end without messing about topping up, have also since bought a Lavatube as well, while I find the Lavatube gives more hit and vapour for the same voltage the Twist is smoother and gives better flavour.

As for vaping in public, I have vaped in my local supermarket, at work, my local pub, Shannon Airport, Aer Lingus flight and just about anywhere I felt like it and couldn't give a sh*t what people thought, as it's legal to, with the variable voltage devices no one can mistake them for fags so that's half the battle. But to be honest I wouldn't care that much if it was banned to vape in public (though can't see how they could justify banning it) as long as they don't try and ban it completely which is my biggest fear.

• Advertisement

I'm already kind of wishing I'd ordered something better, but I was a bit overwhelmed by all the options and decided the transition might be a bit easier with the smaller battery and all. I was originally stuck on the idea of it being as similar to a cigarette as possible, but I can see how the bigger devices would save the hassle of people thinking you're smoking analogs. But yeah, I'll keep researching and invest in a quality set up as soon as I'm more familiar with all the ins and outs. But at least I've taken the first step and like you say if it keeps me from smoking that's a good start.

Once I get used to it I'm sure I'll be vaping everywhere. I've actually never seen anyone vaping in real life, but I'll probably start noticing it more now that I'm on the lookout!

I'm quite worried about the possibility of them being banned in future too, I really think this is my one chance to give up smoking, and if they ban them I'm pretty much guaranteed to go back to cigarettes. But hopefully common sense will win out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

I'm quite worried about the possibility of them being banned in future too, I really think this is my one chance to give up smoking, and if they ban them I'm pretty much guaranteed to go back to cigarettes. But hopefully common sense will win out.

I think the same would happen to me regards going back on fags, I have never gone longer than 3 days without a fag in 39 years before vaping and today is day 55 and I haven't even had the slightest craving to put a ciggy in my mouth since day one.

Surely if they try and ban or tax vaping, they will have to ban and tax nic gum and patches as well after all they perform the same function being getting nic into the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

kiffy wrote: »
    I went the same route as you with my first kit being the Joye 510, what a mistake that was, but like always diving straight in without thoroughly checking things out in detail. Had to keep topping up the tip almost after every 10 mins of puffing on it, even though it was still enough to keep me off fags.

Wasn't until I bought my 3 twist batteries that I could really enjoy vaping for hours on end without messing about topping up, have also since bought a Lavatube as well, while I find the Lavatube gives more hit and vapour for the same voltage the Twist is smoother and gives better flavour.

As for vaping in public, I have vaped in my local supermarket, at work, my local pub, Shannon Airport, Aer Lingus flight and just about anywhere I felt like it and couldn't give a sh*t what people thought, as it's legal to, with the variable voltage devices no one can mistake them for fags so that's half the battle. But to be honest I wouldn't care that much if it was banned to vape in public (though can't see how they could justify banning it) as long as they don't try and ban it completely which is my biggest fear.

It's NOT a mistake going with a 510 type kit to start with, even if in all liklihood you upgrade to something different. Not exaggerating but it was the best €40 I ever spent!

Thanks achieve, glad to hear that!
    If and when I upgrade I can always use the 510 as a backup, or give it to a friend, (I'm hoping to inspire a few people to try it themselves!) so it won't go to waste. Anyway the topping up won't be too much hassle as I'm used to smoking rollies so there's always a bit of preparation involved anyway.

At the moment I'm still a bit confused about the variable voltages, the different kinds of atomisers/cartomisers etc, so decided to stick with something simple to start off. I think a Lavatube might be on my list for the future though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

At least you got the 510-t, my first e cig was a 510 style with carts, no tank, such a pain in the ass....that was 3 years ago and I didn't get on with it, got an eGo-T back in January this year, 6 months later, not a single cigarette, I'm much healthier, don't smell, and I've taken up some active hobbies without being wrecked tired or sick! :) win win

I use a couple of crazy yokes, a Silver Bullet(bright orange) with a 5.5ml tank, so it's quite big, along with a megalodon and a Lavatube, massive yokes in fairness, but the thing I love about them is, they look nothing like cigarettes so no one can mistake them for fags, they do gather some interest from on lookers...I do get the 'your still smoking'...I just say that I use my ecig more than I ever smoked and it cost me a fraction of the price per week.

I've converted most of my family at this stage, men and women, all delighted with the money they are saving, and they are all much healthier. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

eeloe;
    I do get the 'your still smoking'...
    And I reply;
    "It's great isn't it :D and without the tar or smell or rain quenching what your smoking."
    Wonder if the same people tell alcoholics that their still drinking when they see them having a coke or coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Yeah non-smokers have a harder time understanding but people who are smoking tend to be fascinated.

Most people either don't notice or are very curious. We had a work night out a few days ago and everyone was trying my pv. Have converted a few people and a few more are considering it.

I started with basic batteries and still use them as back ups or lend them out to people before they decide to invest in their own set up.

I'm 10 weeks off the cigarettes and I tell people I get all the enjoyment I had from smoking without the stuff that's likely to kill me plus there's a million delicious flavours.

Even out drinking I've never been tempted to have a cigarette but if I did it wouldn't be the end of the world. Any other times I've tried to give up and ended up having a cigarette I'd fold completely and go back on them. Now I know that even if I do slip I much prefer my ecigs and will happily go back to them

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I haven't as much as tastes a cig since January, the odd time I think I'd like to have 1-2 drags just to see if they taste as horrible as I think, but I won't ever go back using them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

eeloe wrote: »
    I haven't as much as tastes a cig since January, the odd time I think I'd like to have 1-2 drags just to see if they taste as horrible as I think, but I won't ever go back using them again!

If you tried it, you wouldn't ever go back (unless you liked the taste? Some do :confused:).

You know that feeling at a house party where you saw an open beer and thought "I'll have a sip of this!", slug it back and...

Beer ashtray.

vomit1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭donkey oatey

Had a funny one the other day. A kid was in a pram near me and when he saw me exhale, he burst into tears and cried and screamed, "There's a dragon lady!" I felt guilty but couldn't stop laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 charliej

I was in the workmans bar couple of weeks ago. I went out to the smoking area with friends.
    There was a girl who asked me, 'what's that' with an extremely scary face. I told that this is an electronic cigarette and she can try it if she wants. However she stepped away quickly, she didn't trust me. Probably she thought that I'm holding a bomb or something.... :-)

Yes, people really shy using their electronic cigarettes in public places. There was a girl driving in front of me the other day. I saw it in the mirror that she is using an ego or something similar, but once she inhaled she tried to hide it immediately.
    :eek:

Advertisement