Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what type of surfboard to get??

Options
  • 14-07-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there im about 5ft 7 and 8.5 stone... I was wondering what size surfboard would suit me?i was thinking 7ft 6 but is that too big?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thephantom1

here's a link to a fairly good size guide that is easy to understand - better than most that I have seen. There is also a good description of how the size of the surfboard affects surfing etc:

http://www.firstsurfboards.com/surfboard-size-guide

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you're just beginning then a 7'6 shouldn't be too big for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 funhouse18

here's a link to a fairly good size guide that is easy to understand - better than most that I have seen. There is also a good description of how the size of the surfboard affects surfing etc:

http://www.firstsurfboards.com/surfboard-size-guide

Thanks for answering my thread..Yeah but that only goes by weight and im 5ft 7... According to that chart i should have a 7ft 2 board but wouldn't that be to small as im 5ft 6/7?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 funhouse18

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you're just beginning then a 7'6 shouldn't be too big for you.

Thanks for that! When i say beginner i mean i have only being on a hard board once but can go right and left and do cutbacks on a foam board. I want to be able to improve these skills on my board and be able to manoeuvre okay... So do you think the board would still suit? Just want to be sure...its a big investment!

Height and weight are fairly interconnected anyway but with a beginner board especially it is weight more than height that is important. You want float more than anything.

In my opinion A 7'2'' board would definately have plenty of float for you but a 7'6'' would be a safe bet for just raw wave catching ability. Chances are you might tire a bit quicker when trying to paddle out on bigger days though.

• Advertisement

most beginner boards have good resale value which is a good safety net if you feel like you have made a mistake with choice - you would not lose that much if you chose to change your mind and go for another board.

If you are going for an epoxy or fibreglass set up, they will feel a lot different to a foam board - it will take a bit of getting used to initially but it will be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

funhouse18 wrote: »
    Hi there im about 5ft 7 and 8.5 stone... I was wondering what size surfboard would suit me?i was thinking 7ft 6 but is that too big?

First things stay away from all the Chinese **** that is popping up in this thread! It won't last!! And will have no resale value!

Brand that are durable bic and nsp keep there value because of this
    If you are going the fibreglass route go to a local shaper !!

Don't fall for the deals shops throw at you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ratticus

Interesting that that size chart does not go higher than 7'10. I am a noob too and just bought myself a 9 ft long board. Great bouancy and so easy to catch waves.
    One of the guys at Lahinch surf school said something really cool anout board length;
    "an extra foot of length is worth a hundred lessons".

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MACtic

The idea when you start is to catch as many waves as possible. It's a long learning curve and you need to be catching a lot to do any progress.
    A soft top is the best when you start surfing at least in my opinion. It's light and buoyant. You won't damage it so quickly and it's not to expensive. Plus you'll have no problems selling it.
    A mini mal is also a good option. The general idea is to go bigger rather than smaller.
    The best you can do is to visit one of the surf shops and ask there. They will give you the best advise.

Advertisement