Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to fishing Dublin

Options
  • 14-07-2012 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey everyone,

I'm new to fishing and have not done any since I was a little kid, I was hoping to take it back up. I'm very pro catch and release as I don't actually eat much fish its more for the sport and enjoyment.

I firstly wanted to know about equipment, I was looking to do some lake or pier fishing. What sort of stuff will I need, I am not all that interested in fly fishing though so would prefer other methods. Also what kind of brands etc are considered good ones. And how much would it cost me to get fully set up just a rough guide?

Secondly I was wondering if there are any good spots to go to for this in Dublin? I know people don't usually like to give up their spots for fear that fish levels will drop but I fully intend to return all fish to where they belong unharmed to such an extent I plan to use barbless hooks.

I hate seen woodies have started to sell decent looking rods and reels but I don't know if they are actually any good.

I would appreciate any tips or knowledge you all have,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

Hi there, keeping it simple for lake fishing theres feeder or float rods, both are great ways of fishing just decide which you may prefer and we can give you more info. Pier fishing and lake combined you could pike up a carp rod which will do for catching macks pollock wrasse etc on piers and will be decent for pike fishing in lakes.

Top brand names for quality gear that will last is Daiwa, fox, drennan, shimano etc.. All pricey but good for the money and will last a lifetime if cared for.

Others are leeda, abu, browning.. these are cheaper but you can still pick up some decent rods and reels.

In Dublin theres not much good fishing, most good fishing is at least and hour drive for some decent fish. Its worth making the travel. I would say get talking to some lads on diff forums and try to meet up so they can show you the ropes and have you catching some fish.

Im in Baldoyle if your close enough send me a pm and ill share some info for Dublin, maybe get out on the bank.

Shane.

Advertisement