Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seasonic PSUs

Options
  • 14-07-2012 12:19am

I'm looking at some Seasonic PSUs for a build I'm intending to do myself. I have the following parts - I ordered them for someone about a year ago and he never picked them up (or paid me) so I'm thinking I'll make use of them myself:

Intel Core i5 2500k
    Intel DH67GD motherboard
    8GB DDR3-1600 (G.Skill, can only run at 1333 obviously)
    2x 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs (I intend to RAID 0 these)
    NVIDIA GT430 video card
    LG BD-ROM/DVD-RW combo
    I also have a 1TB WD10TPVT 2.5" 5200rpm drive knocking about which I might pop in.

This would have a pretty low power draw due to the tiny GPU but I'd also like the option of sticking something bigger in there. I was looking at the X-460FL (80 Plus Gold) as this would still allow me to put a single GTX560 in there. I'm just not comfortable with the fact that it's fanless, would this be an issue? I can also get an X-560 at the same price but a 560W sounds like overkill to me - especially if I leave the GT430 in there. Alternatively I could get the S12II-520 (80 Plus Bronze) for about €45-50 cheaper.

Any recommendations on what I should go for? I haven't yet decided on a case by the way.

Comments

Hmm, on a second note - the Outervision PSU calculator says 460W but the Asus calculator says 550W, so maybe the 560W is the better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Karsini wrote: »
    Hmm, on a second note - the Outervision PSU calculator says 460W but the Asus calculator says 550W, so maybe the 560 is the better option?
    GTX 560 is a poor card with high power consumption. Get a radeon 6870 instead for cheaper.

Eboggles wrote: »
    GTX 560 is a poor card with high power consumption. Get a radeon 6870 instead for cheaper.

I always hated ATI, swore I'd never go with them again after getting a 3650 a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Karsini wrote: »

I always hated ATI, swore I'd never go with them again after getting a 3650 a few years back.
    Hate is such a strong word :D, if that's the case just wait for the GTX 660/650Ti. Just don't get the 560.

The new Kepler cards should be out in August if the latest rumours are true.

Hate is such a strong word :D, if that's the case just wait for the GTX 660/650Ti. Just don't get the 560.

The new Kepler cards should be out in August if the latest rumours are true.

Well it's not something I've decided on for certain. I intend to use the 430 for the time being as I actually have it. It will do for some light stuff anyway.

I'd just be thinking that if I stuck a 560W PSU in there with the 430 then it'll be running at a fairly low load and that's not exactly efficient - but then again I do want the option of sticking a bigger card in there.

OT but my main gripe with ATI was the Catalyst Control Center. I remembered I couldn't even set profiles for individual games, it was either all or nothing. I also thought the rendering quality didn't seem as nice either, at least in the games I was using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

the difference between gold and bronze efficiency is very little in real world money, even over the course of a few years.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    the difference between gold and bronze efficiency is very little in real world money, even over the course of a few years.

I think that would settle it then, bronze it shall be. Thanks. :)

Advertisement