Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Elegance Ego Travel System

Options
  • 14-07-2012 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

We are currently researching travel systems for my sister & we are looking at the baby elegance ego travel system. Was wondering if anyone has any experience of this travel system? It's currently on offer for €229 in smyths , seems like a great offer!

Any help would be great! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi Shannow,

I got this travel system for my daughter when it was first released in Nov 2010 for 420 and in the early days I found it good. I didn't get the base with the car seat at the time because we had no car and so the seat was only being used on occasional trips on public transport or with the grand parents. I though it was great at the start, and it was absolutely fine for the first 7/8 months but then I started to notice more problems about it.

It is handy to be able to clip straight onto the chassis, but I suppose that is true of most travel systems, but you definitely need two hands to do it and it gets quite difficult as baby gets heavier after the 5/6 month mark.

The carry cot piece is good for having baby flat in the early days but the mattress is not great, I got my own moses basket one to use in it for naps during the day time if we were out and about.

The basket is tiny and difficult to access so most of the time I ended up having to put my shopping on a clip on the handle bar. This once caused it to tip over - the weight of my changing bag and a bag with probably a large carton of milk and a few odd groceries, not really that much but it had me very paranoid about carrying anything on it. It is also quite low hanging so can hit off the kerb when going up footpaths causing the contents to spill out.

To fold the chassis the seat part has to be facing forward if you want to keep it attached, otherwise the seat must be removed before you fold it. You can't fold with the car seat or carry cot attached.

My seat unit actually broke and I had to pay for it to be replaced, this was when it was lifted going up a few steps by the seat part, rather than the chassis itself, with a 12 month old in the seat. It wouldn't sit up straight at all then. Also the seat part is quite small, my 19 month old can no longer sit comfortably in it, her head is rubbing off the canopy.

Positives would be that it is light, easy to handle and manoeuvre, easy to assemble, low pricing, can be folded up quite small, rear or forward facing and can be easily pushed with one hand.

If I was to do it over though I wouldn't buy one again. For the money you save buying this as one of the cheaper travel systems and then adding the cost of rain covers, buying a separate decent foot muff, replacing the seat unit & the handle (the grip tore) and buying the air tyres, I would rather pay more for a sturdier travel system tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

My little man is just 3 months and this is what we bought.

To be truthfully honest, I regret buying this for numerous reasons mentioned below. I wish I'd looked about more.

I got the full Ego travel system plus isofix base for €499. It seemed a great bargain.

Problem 1: The carseat doesn't always slot easily into the isofix base and shows engaged green even though on occasion it didn't click in at the front at all which is very worrying!!! This has to be checked. I feel I now quadruple check it every time.

Problem 2: The chassis is pretty weak to me and ours has semi-collapsed on numerous occasions so again that's really worried me. We are getting this looked at. Overall the chassis seems ok around a smooth town but that is it IMO

Problem 3: One thing I noticed pretty quickly was that my little man gets very sweaty in the carseat very quickly. He always feels damp when I take him out and I need to change him. This happens after just 30 mins in it. Now this is my first baby so maybe this happens with a lot of carseat.

Not: All the above has happened with others using my system and not just me before you think I may be having a very bad 'blonde moment' :-)

The plus side would be the carrycot and my baby slept in this up until a few weeks ago. I did buy a proper Baby Elegance mattress for it though.

We haven't used they'd pushchair yet.

If I was doing it again, I definitely wouldn't buy this system and would pay extra for another. I just don't feel it's really that sturdy or well made.

I think you get what you pay for.

Advertisement