Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gain or redmills brand what to go for

• 14-07-2012 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

What dog food is better,Gain adult or redmill adult?
    I have a 3rd old hound,not a worker and I want to get him on some decent food,he mainly eats dry food mixed with our healthy leftovers so ge is doing good on that but I want to get a decent dry food as the aldi one is hit and miss with him.
    I have tried lots of refills and he likes it but Gain was recommended to ne during the week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Red Mills Leader range is very good food and doesn't break the bank either. Some of the other ranges from Red Mills (Star etc.) are not so good though so stick to the Leader or Leader Supreme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Feed mine gain big dog and find it great it's €33 for 15kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Gain isn't really a great food. Red mills is much better for your dog as lorebringer also said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

SingItOut wrote: »
    Gain isn't really a great food. Red mills is much better for your dog as lorebringer also said

Well it suits my dog's, my budget so that great in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Well it suits my dog's, my budget so that great in my book.

Difference in opinions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

would go myself for redmills over gain, gain not that good really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Sappa wrote: »

It depends which variety you are comparing.

As others said Red Mills Leader is a good food. I tried it on mine - they liked it but stools weren't great. RMs Leader has a greater selection than Gain.

Gain Elite Big Dogs (or Small Dogs) are trying to compete with Red Mills Leader. I haven't tried it. I emailed Gain about the food and I think the food looks alright.

The feeding guidelines for both are around the same and even the ingredients look similar.

But Gain is €10 cheaper per 15kg bag.

There is no harm in giving Gain a try.

RM Leader Adult Ingredients: Dehydrated Chicken Meat (20% Min), Maize, Rice, Poultry Fat, Dehulled Oats, Linseed, Fishmeal, Beet Pulp, Savoury Chicken Gravy, Minerals And Vitamins, Chicory Extract, Yeast Extract

Gain Elite Big Dogs Ingredients: Dried Chicken and Turkey Min 23%, Rice min 20%, Wholegrain Maize, Dehulled Oats, Poultry Fat, Maize Gluten, Suger Beet Pulp, Chicken Gravy, Fish Meal, Egg, Linseed, Fish Oil, Sodium Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Trucal Milk mineral Complex, Products from processing of Plants, Glucosamine HCI, Methlsulphonylmenthane

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

I've tried my dog on both these brands and after much observation I find that Gain suits my dog better.

My dog seemed to like the Leader Adult, but his pooh's were vile while on this food. And as we walk in areas where picking up after him is necessary I ruled the Leader food out on those grounds.

The 'Gain Big Dog Adult' seems to suit him very well, he likes it, seems well on it and very importantly (for me) his poohs are solid.
    My husband recently bought the Gain Adult by accident. It's the orange - ish packaging as opposed the green for the big dog adult. This had a terrible effect on our dog. He got terrible diarrhoea on the first day and then stopped eating altogether for a few days. So we stopped feeding that and went back to the 'big dog adult' and normal service has resumed since.

The Gain food comes in 3kg bags, I'm not sure about the Leader, but I would suggest buying a smaller bag until you are sure what suits your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Sappa wrote: »
    I have a 3rd old hound,not a worker and I want to get him on some decent food,he mainly eats dry food mixed with our healthy leftovers so ge is doing good on that but I want to get a decent dry food as the aldi one is hit and miss with him.
    I have tried lots of refills and he likes it but Gain was recommended to ne during the week.

where are you based? What protein % do you prefer? I have working springer spaniels and I feed them a 22% resting greyhound mix. I mixed in a raw egg or some tinned mackerel the odd day. It's perfect and the stool is rock hard so it's easy to clean the kennel after. I swear by it. It's €11 for 15 kg. I buy it in brownes in portlaoise, it's his own mix. Pm if you need more details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wouldn't feed either because nothing compares to my "TK's Best" (patent pending :D) but if there's a Pet Mania near you OP you can buy a large bag of Gain and get a 3kg bag to try - if it doesn't suit they'll give you a refund. Also they have a 5% coupon on the site. ;) If only our local one would get something new in - they have the same toys etc the last 3 years!

http://www.petmania.ie/utilities/special-offers/dog-special-offers

• Advertisement
Advertisement