Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct debit - SKY

Options
  • 14-07-2012 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

warning to all Direct Debit account holders, particularly SKY.

If for any reason you cancel an account with a provider who you pay by direct Debit,
    YOU MUST CANCEL YOUR DIRECT DEBIT ALSO WITH YOUR BANK.

there are numerous stories here of consumers accounts re-billing some time later, and unless you have given specific instructions to your bank, you will loose the money.!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Cancelling with the Bank doesn't work either, you just have to keep an eye on your Account and go down the long road of trying to get unauthorised payments back when they happen.

Or don't use DD if it's an option.

It's an awful setup, don't know how it's let carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You're right about cancellin the DD not being enough sometimes. I had one with O2. I disputed a bill and they constantly tried to take money from my account even after I moved money to a new account. Eventually got it sorted but my bank charged me for every time O2 tried to take money!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is a well-known issue and has been discussed here many times.

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions, as this is related to Direct Debit schemes

dudara

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

whizbang wrote: »
    warning to all Direct Debit account holders, particularly SKY.

If for any reason you cancel an account with a provider who you pay by direct Debit,
    YOU MUST CANCEL YOUR DIRECT DEBIT ALSO WITH YOUR BANK.

there are numerous stories here of consumers accounts re-billing some time later, and unless you have given specific instructions to your bank, you will loose the money.!

The proper way to cancel a dd is to inform your bank accordingly.

http://www.ipso.ie/section/section/ConsumerCornerDirectDebitFrequentlyAskedQuestions
    How do I cancel a direct debit?
    You can cancel a direct debit by writing to your bank. It is also advisable to inform the originator of the cancellation.

All dd payers should also be aware of the rights below and also note that there appears to be virtually no training in the dd system for bank staff so you may find that you have to educate the bank employee you are dealing with.

A Direct Debit Guarantee is provided by your bank in the following form:
    If you authorise payment by direct debit, then

Your direct debit originator will notify you in advance of the amounts to be debited to your account

Your bank will accept and pay such debits, provided that your account has sufficient available funds

If it is established that an unauthorised direct debit was charged to your account, you are guaranteed an immediate refund by your bank of the amount so charged where you notify your bank without undue delay on becoming aware of the unauthorised direct debit, and in any event no later than 13 months after the date of debiting of such direct debit to your account

You are entitled to request a refund of any variable direct debit which exceeded the amount which you could reasonably have expected, subject to you so requesting your bank within a period of 8 weeks from the date of debiting such direct debit to your account; your bank is entitled to ask you to provide factual elements relating to your request for a refund
    You can request your bank to refuse a direct debit payment on your account up to close of business the day before the direct debit is due to be paid from your account

You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your bank

The last sentence in the above is a lie!! A direct debit cannot be cancelled with any finality.

Even though the dd scheme rules state:

Paying Banks:
    o must adhere to the Rules of the Scheme
    o must put in place processes which will ensure that unauthorised, refused and/or cancelled
    Direct Debits are intercepted and returned immediately on presentation

There is no mechanism in place in the banks' systems to "intercept" a cancelled direct debit even though the account holder has specifically withdrawn permission from the company concerned to access their account.

Now most people would regard any subsequent attempt to deduct money from their account as attempted theft but the banks do nothing about this behaviour - it is outrageous.

Not enough people are aware of their rights under the dd scheme and most certainly not enough people complain about the abuse of the scheme.

If you have had problems with a particular problem then contact IPSO - and complain to the DD scheme manager. He does not wish his name to be given out on boards even though it is in the public domain and available on the IPSO website.
    Irish Payment Services Organisation Limited
    5th Floor, Nassau House, Nassau Street, Dublin 2, Ireland

Email: info@ipso.ie
    Tel: +353 1 663 6740
    Fax: +353 1 284 3409

You're right about cancellin the DD not being enough sometimes. I had one with O2. I disputed a bill and they constantly tried to take money from my account even after I moved money to a new account. Eventually got it sorted but my bank charged me for every time O2 tried to take money!

Had you cancelled the DD with your bank? If so they had absolutely no right to be charging you for O2's abysmal behaviour and they should have been taken )2 to task.

If the dd was cancelled properly then complain to IPSO as per the address above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

dub45 wrote: »
    Had you cancelled the DD with your bank? If so they had absolutely no right to be charging you for O2's abysmal behaviour and they should have been taken )2 to task.

If the dd was cancelled properly then complain to IPSO as per the address above.

I couldn't cancel it with my bank because I was working every day. Looking back I could have sent them a letter. I cancelled it with 02 and withdrew all money from my account at an ATM to make sure it couldn't be taken. O2 still kept trying to take money.

I couldn't cancel it with my bank because I was working every day. Looking back I could have sent them a letter. I cancelled it with 02 and withdrew all money from my account at an ATM to make sure it couldn't be taken. O2 still kept trying to take money.

How long ago is this? If you cancelled it with O2 then they have an obligation to respect your wishes and instructions.

You should contact IPSO and explain the situation to them.

The "spirit" of the dd system - as bad as it is - is that the bill payer should be in control of their account at all times with the support of their bank of course.

Basically when you sign a dd mandate or instruction for a company you are not giving them total open access to your account - you are allowing them access to your account under very specific circumstances and provided they comply with certain conditions which they are obliged to under the dd scheme rules. Unfortunately many companies appear to think that they can do what they like under the dd scheme and get away it and sadly as well all know this is the reality!

Complain!

Advertisement