Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Stats

Options
  • 14-07-2012 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a few technical questions on the DSL lines.

In the past our ZyXEL was constantly re-booting/re-syncing and just giving us a terrible experience. A temporary solution was to downgrade the maximum speed to just over 15 Mb (previously over 17.5 Mb on the 24 Mb NGB package). This cut down the amount of problems to a level we could live with.

Recently the gateway has been behaving itself, it hasn't had to re-sync in over a month (fingers crossed ;)). As part of a major upgrade of our house's LAN from a pretty poor AD-HOC setup to Gb Ethernet I'm considering asking if the max DSL speed be kicked up a notch to see if we can get better value out of our package. However I am aware that the SNR is quite low, consistently 5 dB / 17 dB, and attenuation isn't great either (24 dB / 10 dB). Just wondering what values you'd expect to see from someone getting the full 24 Mb.

Theoretically I know you'd need less than 20 dB attenuation, don't have a clue about the SNR though. From looking online I've seen a few values around 16 dB and up on the downstream as ideal, which leaves my line quality somewhat lacking :(. Do you ever see 16 dB and up in practical setups? We had technicians out promptly at some stage as a result of talking on here (which I never thanked you for by the way so thank you) and they fixed our main connection, which was held together with sticky tape it transpired. Currently the gateway is connected to the main outlet through the filter.

I must try disconnecting everything past this main outlet bar the gateway, and replace the short length of wire with high quality twisted-pair, but I can't see me making up the difference in SNR.

So long story short, is there any hope of bumping up the speed without affecting quality? In your experience what values would be necessary to make it worthwhile testing?

Just another small question: What's the standard ping time you expect to see on a good line? Currently ping averages out about 30 ms.

eircom Broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 15144 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 24 dB /10 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 5 dB /17 dB

PING home.eircom.net (86.43.38.8): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 86.43.38.8: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=28.822 ms
    64 bytes from 86.43.38.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=28.593 ms
    64 bytes from 86.43.38.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=29.319 ms
    64 bytes from 86.43.38.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=29.244 ms
    64 bytes from 86.43.38.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=57 time=29.208 ms

--- home.eircom.net ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 28.593/29.037/29.319/0.281 ms

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

anything under 30 ping is good with Eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

0.963 ms under! Score!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Mine used to be 13 to Eircom, then a few months ago they changed to the same results you're getting. Pretty sh1te for first person shooters playing on central European servers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's an improvement on the 150 I used to play Battlefield on when I first got broadband :D. Convinced myself that my poor stats was entirely the ISP's fault and that I was actually a good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

TheChizler wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just a few technical questions on the DSL lines.

In the past our ZyXEL was constantly re-booting/re-syncing and just giving us a terrible experience. A temporary solution was to downgrade the maximum speed to just over 15 Mb (previously over 17.5 Mb on the 24 Mb NGB package). This cut down the amount of problems to a level we could live with.

Recently the gateway has been behaving itself, it hasn't had to re-sync in over a month (fingers crossed ;)). As part of a major upgrade of our house's LAN from a pretty poor AD-HOC setup to Gb Ethernet I'm considering asking if the max DSL speed be kicked up a notch to see if we can get better value out of our package. However I am aware that the SNR is quite low, consistently 5 dB / 17 dB, and attenuation isn't great either (24 dB / 10 dB). Just wondering what values you'd expect to see from someone getting the full 24 Mb.

Theoretically I know you'd need less than 20 dB attenuation, don't have a clue about the SNR though. From looking online I've seen a few values around 16 dB and up on the downstream as ideal, which leaves my line quality somewhat lacking :(. Do you ever see 16 dB and up in practical setups? We had technicians out promptly at some stage as a result of talking on here (which I never thanked you for by the way so thank you) and they fixed our main connection, which was held together with sticky tape it transpired. Currently the gateway is connected to the main outlet through the filter.

I must try disconnecting everything past this main outlet bar the gateway, and replace the short length of wire with high quality twisted-pair, but I can't see me making up the difference in SNR.

So long story short, is there any hope of bumping up the speed without affecting quality? In your experience what values would be necessary to make it worthwhile testing?

Just another small question: What's the standard ping time you expect to see on a good line? Currently ping averages out about 30 ms.

eircom Broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 15144 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 24 dB /10 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 5 dB /17 dB

PING home.eircom.net (86.43.38.8): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 86.43.38.8: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=28.822 ms
    64 bytes from 86.43.38.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=28.593 ms
    64 bytes from 86.43.38.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=29.319 ms
    64 bytes from 86.43.38.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=29.244 ms
    64 bytes from 86.43.38.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=57 time=29.208 ms

--- home.eircom.net ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 28.593/29.037/29.319/0.281 ms

Hi TheChizler,

Can you send me a PM confirming the tel no: I just want to insure the details are the same we have logged for you from December of last year.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement