Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things boards users do that make little sense?

• 14-07-2012 3:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭

What things happen on boards that annoy you because of the lack of sense on behalf of a poster?

For me it would be starting threads in AH to ask a question about a topic that has it's own forum and then saying "I knew this would happen" when they get corrected or the piss taken out of them.

If they know boards well enough why don't they just find the correct forum? Do they really think that getting an answer quicker in AH is better than the advice that people in the specific forums could give?

Stupid thread, but, at least it's suited to the forum.. :pac:

So, what are your boards annoyances?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

[QUOTE=minidazzler;79722453

So, what are your boards annoyances?/QUOTE]

Messing up quotes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Posters starting a thread to ask a question that is easily answerable by checking google or wikipedia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The bashing threads.

Posters spouting the same ignorant nonsense again and again, despite countless previous threads where their ignorance has been discredited.

Drunken idiots late at night who somehow manage to post the exact same thing twice and then don't even have the decency to delete or edit their second post. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Posters starting a thread to ask a question that is easily answerable by checking google or wikipedia.

Similar to this. If there's a thread about some celebrity or something and a poster asks ''Who?''

Open a new tab and Google the fúcking thing. Ta dah, there's your answer.

• Advertisement

Drunken idiots late at night who somehow manage to post the exact same thing twice and then don't even have the decency to delete or edit their second post. mad.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

J. Marston wrote: »
    Similar to this. If there's a thread about some celebrity or something and a poster asks ''Who?''

Open a new tab and Google the fúcking thing. Ta dah, there's your answer.

I find it even worse when it's someone obscenely popular and the poster is just trying to be cool by not knowing them (i.e. Justin Bieber, 99.999 people who use boards would have heard the name, yet some people will still say "who?" just to come across as cool)

I also can't stand when someone starts a new thread on a specific topic or news story when there's already a large thread about it on the front page of After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

The frequent use of this little cunt to discredit perfectly reasonable arguments: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I feel dirty after using that smiley. Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Same people arguing over the same things.
    Examples: two people taking a pro/anti view of the war in Iraq or something. Then every single thread about Iraq would devolve into the same basic arguments between said two posters to the point that every thread is ruined.

Posting a youtube video that isn't related to the topic that's being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Post count whores that never contribute anything, just post because they think post count is important. There's a fantastic example of this on nearly every thread on AH by the same person. It's worse than trolling, not even in the same league as trolling. I feel embarrassed on behalf of this person every time I read her posts.

Kurz wrote: »
    Post count whores that never contribute anything, just post because they think post count is important. There's a fantastic example of this on nearly every thread on AH by the same person. It's worse than trolling, not even in the same league as trolling. I feel embarrassed on behalf of this person every time I read her posts.

+1 Post for me that is....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

To state anything conservative or that is not to the liking of the liberal majority.

I'm surprised its not a bannable offence in AH at this stage tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Starting threads about regrets in the middle of the night.
    I regret not being able to sleep. Bog off. :-/

Drunken idiots late at night who somehow manage to post the exact same thing twice and then don't even have the decency to delete or edit their second post. :mad:

Posters who quote their own posts. The joke wasn't funny the first time I read it. Don't make me read it again you c*nt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

To state anything conservative or that is not to the liking of the liberal majority.

I'm surprised its not a bannable offence in AH at this stage tbh.

The liberal majority that calls for a revenge-orientated justice system and an end to all public health/welfare measures? This is every day in After Hours. I'm bemused as to how someone could think there is a liberal majority on this forum.

Post count whores that never contribute anything, just post because they think post count is important.

The worst is when they celebrate reaching a milestone with "500th post yay me!" or something similar, while still not contributing anything meaningful. No one fcuking cares you loser!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

People commenting on topics that they dont know enough about to give an educated opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭techsavysista

People getting really agro with n00bs, taking things too seriously because "it's not the boards way" or getting really fired up and nit picking when there's no need for that kind of stuff in a light debate.

Sorry we don't all send our lives infront of a computer trying to hit 10,000 posts.

Don't take everything so seriously, it's the internet....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The liberal majority that calls for a revenge-orientated justice system and an end to all public health/welfare measures? This is every day in After Hours. I'm bemused as to how someone could think there is a liberal majority on this forum.

I concede that, but when it comes to more pressing issues on modern society people tend to fall into line like sheep and sprout a total PC response. Particularly if their true response would be deemed as 'xenophobic' or 'homophobic'.

I for one practice free debate, I like to hear all sides of the argument.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

AH answer:

Real answer:

Like your strange Uncle Colin making awful jokes at inappropriate moments and then saying 'but seriously folks...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

It doesnt bother me, but I think its pissed of a few other posters is that I share my account with 3 other people (girlfriend, brother, best mate). "Are you not the guy last week that said you can stomach anything except broccoli, and now this week your looking for a recipie for some broccoli soup" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Mike87 wrote: »
    It doesnt bother me, but I think its pissed of a few other posters is that I share my account with 3 other people (girlfriend, brother, best mate). "Are you not the guy last week that said you can stomach anything except broccoli, and now this week your looking for a recipie for some broccoli soup" :D

You know you're not supposed to allow anyone else to use your account, right? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The frequent use of this little cunt to discredit perfectly reasonable arguments: :rolleyes:

THIS! A million time this. I wish boards would delete that smiley. It's just a fallback for arseholes when they cant counter your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

People who complain about your sarcastic replies because they add nothing to the conversation, because their complaints are adding to the discussion. Y'see?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

When people go on a thread just to say how little they care about the topic the thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

People who use the "yeah, well I don't spend all day on the internet :rolleyes:" or "FFS, people are getting upset about something someone said on the internet, get a life:rolleyes:" lines while spending time on the internet and getting upset about things people say to them on the internet.

Why would you share your account with three different people? How are you supposed to interact properly with people?

How hard would it be to have three different accounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Same people arguing over the same things.
    Examples: two people taking a pro/anti view of the war in Iraq or something. Then every single thread about Iraq would devolve into the same basic arguments between said two posters to the point that every thread is ruined.
    If it isn't the same two posters pointing out the same arguments, it'll be a number of different people making the same points. I'm not even talking about specifically the example you give, but people have their perspectives on the arguments for something, and the same stuff will be brought up on whatever topic of debate regardless of who it is doing so. As great as it would be to see completely novel discussion points come up, that is rare.
    Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Self styled "experts" on a topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Posters getting loads of thanks for posts just because who they are, not because they're funny. Happens all the time :(

Anyone urging someone else to 'stay classy'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

It doesn't make any sense to me how many of the mods have delusions of grandeur. Your a mod on a public forum, your not the US president, get over it FFS :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

J. Marston wrote: »

Similar to this, a thread about people that a poster thinks we should all automatically know!
    Sorry, Some of us are not into RTE, reality TV rubbish z-list wanna-be celeb or some daft as a brush personality.

• Advertisement

God you're mad, you are. I doubt anyone's pissed off by your arrangement to be honest. It is faintly weird though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Yeah, I share my account too. That way if I say something someone slates me for I can just say it was my bro/gf/mate.

No need to be consistent and a license to troll.

What a load of bollocks.

Yeah, I share my account too. That way if I say something someone slates me for I can just say it was my bro/gf/mate.

No need to be consistent and a license to troll.

What a load of bollocks.

Yup, but if you say something that gets you site-banned, knowingly and purposely sharing your account means your siteban won't be lifted, and anyother accounts you set up afterwards will be closed.

God you're mad, you are. I doubt anyone's pissed off by your arrangement to be honest. It is faintly weird though

We all share the same computer and any time more than one account is made the two/three accounts get banned. So its handier just to have one account and have everyone use that and save all the headaches. Besides its not like any of us is chatting someone up or saying personal stuff so nobody really cares.

Yup, but if you say something that gets you site-banned, knowingly and purposely sharing your account means your siteban won't be lifted, and anyother accounts you set up afterwards will be closed.

You know I was being sarcastic right?

I flat out don't believe someone would share an account like that.

They might claim they do, retrospectively, but they don't really.

There was a thread started a while back by some halfwit, giving out about his disabled uncle and his benefit entitlements, massive backlash so he decided his 'mate' had posted using his account.

Nonsense. It's ridiculous on too many levels anyway, what's the point?

• Advertisement

We all share the same computer and any time more than one account is made the two/three accounts get banned. So its handier just to have one account and have everyone use that and save all the headaches. Besides its not like any of us is chatting someone up or saying personal stuff so nobody really cares.

Have you been shipwrecked? Stranded on a desert island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Rephrasing the wording from an existing thread because a poster thinks their post is so great it deserves its own thread.

"What annoys you about boards?" Oh wait I know a good one "What do boards users do that annoys you?".

Its the same fcukin thing god damn it !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Thank whores.

People who tell you to google something, rather then taking two seconds to write a genuine reply that would actually help the person.

When people say "Search it there are so many threads on this topic already" Yet if you post in those treads they are then closed for being a necropost. MAKE UP YOUR ****ING MIND!

People in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Japanese motorist?

Lollers wrote: »
    Grammer correctorrs.

Yeh I dislike that one myself. You spend 20 minutes typing up a post, and then a bunch of nitpickers come along and derail the whole thread as if they couldnt understand anything you just said. (Hasnt happened me on this website though luckily enough).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Posting in the third person

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

people trying to be comedians on After hours. some of them are hilarious:rolleyes:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Posting in the third person

stunner hates that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Posting a youtube video that isn't related to the topic that's being discussed.
    Purposely quoting pics and vids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Japanese motorist?

That's the first person I thought of too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement