Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private Health Insurance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I've seen a lot of factually incorrect posts re public/private healthcare on forums, but this tops them all. It's unfortunate you came to believe this, or were led to believe this (though I don't know how that could possibly have occurred). What you're written is off-the-scale in its inaccuracy. You're passing on ridiculous untruths, and some people might actually believe it. These people being future patients or friends/relatives of. On a positive note, hope that your partner is doing well.
    How dare you !
    I am passing on no untruths simply telling it how it was when my partner was diagnosed with breast cancer.
    She was treated privatley at St Vincents, had she had no insurance the Consultant told us she would be treated at Lukes.
    He outlined the differences in the treatments to us.
    Before spouting off again and calling people liars you might first acquaint yourself with the facts:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I can't afford health insurance and probably won't ever be able to afford it.

I have looked into private healthcare plans in available in Ireland and none of them cover a condition I have had since I was born so I don't see the benefit.

Also on the topic of public v private patients. One of my aunts had a serious accident a few years ago which resulted in a bleed on her brain. She was in ICU for a week and then was moved to a ward, where she remained for a number of weeks. Altogether she was in hospital for about 3 months. She paid into a VHI plan for years and while she was in hospital spent her entire time as a public patient because there were no private patient rooms available. What's the point of paying for something you won't get?

Another one of my aunts had multiple tumors removed from both of her knees and ever since she began treatment for same she has been back and forth with her provider with them claiming it is a pre-existing condition (it isn't, she was paying her health insurance for over a year before the condition showed up) and refusing to pay out. Hardly an enjoyable experience while you are undergoing any sort of medical treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

How much does it cost a year? I understand it depends on many things but like generally,say a 30 year old guy,are we talking hundreds or into the thousands of euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

How much does it cost a year? I understand it depends on many things but like generally,say a 30 year old guy,are we talking hundreds or into the thousands of euro?
    It is the same price for everyone, no differnce in price based on age or gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

My VHI is 112 a month, it can be difficult to meet and I was thinking of getting rid of it, then my appendix burst and I needed two weeks in Hospital on a drip followed by an operation, I'm 30 and it's the last thing you expect to happen but the VHI paid for 15k worth of treatment so I'd advise keeping it cause you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Costs me €90 a month, but I'm only 21, I don't have cover for this like hip replacements and stuff like that, I'm hoping I'll survive without that for another year or two :D

My parents paid my health insurance up until just last month, no longer a student unfortunately. I pay myself now. I'm young, active and healthy so I got the cheapest package/. No point getting that every day excess crap until your old and stiff. I presume I'd only need it if god forbid I was in an accident or got cancer or something very unpredictable. It's €485 per year which is roughly €30000 total to cover the rest of my life. Definitely worth the peace of mind, a few weeks in hospital can easily come to €30,000. Then there's the whole speedy appointment process and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

godeas16 wrote: »
    My VHI is 112 a month, it can be difficult to meet and I was thinking of getting rid of it, then my appendix burst and I needed two weeks in Hospital on a drip followed by an operation, I'm 30 and it's the last thing you expect to happen but the VHI paid for 15k worth of treatment so I'd advise keeping it cause you never know.

Why don't you get a cheaper plan instead of dropping it altogether ?

Odds are the cover you have includes stuff you most likely don't need.

A very good website for looking at the differences between plans is this one:

http://www.hia.ie/

To those referring to accidents etc., if you are involved in an accident do bear in mind that if you are not at fault all your medical expenses have to be covered by the third party. If you start receiving demand letters from hospitals/clinics etc. a simple letter from your solicitor advising them that any monies due and owing will be included in your claim should sort that out. If you are at fault your own medical expenses may be covered by your own insurance company. Just something to bear in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It never ceases to amaze me how many people opt for things like a Sky subscription instead of a health insurance plan. People are fcuking stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

To those referring to accidents etc., if you are involved in an accident do bear in mind that if you are not at fault all your medical expenses have to be covered by the third party. If you start receiving demand letters from hospitals/clinics etc. a simple letter from your solicitor advising them that any monies due and owing will be included in your claim should sort that out. If you are at fault your own medical expenses may be covered by your own insurance company. Just something to bear in mind.

My third party was a mountain, it wasn't going to pay a lot out. It's not always going to be the case that you can put in a claim when you have an accident.

My third party was a mountain, it wasn't going to pay a lot out. It's not always going to be the case that you can put in a claim when you have an accident.

I was referring to accidents involving vehicles, thus why I said "third party".

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

Just wondering those amounts that people are stating that there premium is per year. Are they after tax amounts?

I've had a look online and the two cheapest plans I could find do not cover: gp visits, physio, prescription costs and one of them doesn't cover A&E charges. They also have a very complicated way of describing what radiology fees they cover so I don't know whether they cover radiology or not. That just doesn't seem worth it to me.

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

Also just wondering would others feel its better off having the most basic/cheapest health insurance then none at all i.e god forbid something does happen to you and you state that you are covered by Health insurance you will be looked after better etc.

• Advertisement

I've had a look online and the two cheapest plans I could find do not cover: gp visits, physio, prescription costs and one of them doesn't cover A&E charges. They also have a very complicated way of describing what radiology fees they cover so I don't know whether they cover radiology or not. That just doesn't seem worth it to me.

No PHI in the state covers prescription costs, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My treatment as a public patient for outpatients and the medically necessary c-sections was amazing, my stay afterwards was not - births are not always covered on health insurance - I know that there was a huge surplus for us and we may not have got a bed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Think a number of people on here who are considering canceling their PHI, have been fortunate enough never to use it.

Im 24 but have used it quite a lot. I have a spinal injury for sports and only had to wait 2 weeks for a consultant. In that time I had 2 MRI's in Galway Clinic and another in Northwood, which I waited 3-5 days for. I have had a number of small procedures and access to a new form of spinal treatment called RFD which isn't available to public patients, as its only done under private in Blackrock. My back bills have easily hit €5k.

This year, I spent 5 weeks in hospital with anxiety disorder. The hospital bill was over €17k. When I talked to the consultant, the morning I presented myself at Vincents, and told him that I was private, he said "thank god you are".

After going into the private hospital, I heard stories of people who had to wait a few days before admission, though I only had to wait 3 hrs! In public hospitals, due to lack of facilities, they put people with anxiety/depression in with schitzophrenics, alzeimhers, dementia etc. The odds of getting better decrease significantly,and your in a room with up to 12 others. When lock down happens, you do not want to be there!!!

Where I was, after 3 days I had free roam to use my car, go shopping and we even had a gym and pitch n putt course. My medical team consisted of a psychiatrist, 2 psychologists, occupational therapist, 2 psych nurses and a registrar doctor. We met the team a number of times a week and had double/single rooms with en-suites.

PHI pays for itself, just hope and pray that you never have to use it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Just as a public/private thing. was admitted through A and E last year,spent two days on a day bed in a day ward and then in Calcutta-like dirty conditions in a 14 bed ward where women moaned and shouted 24/7, there was one toilet for 14 of us,no privacy and couldn't even open a window though the place was sweltering and a nurse who couldn't manage to keep up with everyone. A cleaner used the same cloth she used to wipe the floor with to wipe my table.

A private room came up, two of us-old lady who slept most of the time, air-con room, electric-type bed, own TV and en-suite spotless bathroom. Behind the nurse station and more or less had to hoosh the nurses out, as I didn't need them most of the time.

My meds make me very prone to infections of all kinds,guess where I'd choose to be??

Just as a public/private thing. was admitted through A and E last year,spent two days on a day bed in a day ward and then in Calcutta-like dirty conditions in a 14 bed ward where women moaned and shouted 24/7, there was one toilet for 14 of us,no privacy and couldn't even open a window though the place was sweltering and a nurse who couldn't manage to keep up with everyone. A cleaner used the same cloth she used to wipe the floor with to wipe my table.

A private room came up, two of us-old lady who slept most of the time, air-con room, electric-type bed, own TV and en-suite spotless bathroom. Behind the nurse station and more or less had to hoosh the nurses out, as I didn't need them most of the time.

My meds make me very prone to infections of all kinds,guess where I'd choose to be??

Unfortunately, even if you pay into private health insurance you're not guaranteed to get private healthcare. As I said above, my aunt, while recovering from a brain bleed after a serious head injury, was stuck on a ward similar to what you described for weeks. I just don't see the point in paying for something you're not guaranteed to get.

Unfortunately, even if you pay into private health insurance you're not guaranteed to get private healthcare. As I said above, my aunt, while recovering from a brain bleed after a serious head injury, was stuck on a ward similar to what you described for weeks. I just don't see the point in paying for something you're not guaranteed to get.

But she would have had a bill at the end of those few weeks in hospital and that would have been paid for by her insurance.

Getting diagnosed though is a huge thing - also, if you are having chemo it is easier to have it in a nice envonment as you are under enough pressure...

But she would have had a bill at the end of those few weeks in hospital and that would have been paid for by her insurance.

That's great after the fact but not much use when you're not receiving the care you're after paying into a plan for.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Getting diagnosed though is a huge thing - also, if you are having chemo it is easier to have it in a nice envonment as you are under enough pressure...

And as I said already in relation to another aunt of mine, she had tumors removed from her knees and has been undergoing treatment for same for the past 2 years and she has ended up paying the bill for all of this treatment herself because her healthcare provider claims that the condition is pre-existing, which it isn't.

Yes, it may turn out that the healthcare provider will be proved to be in the wrong and her bills will be covered but that's of no help to her right now (or over the last 2 years) while she has been going through hell and having to deal with that kind of dispute at the same time. She is extremely lucky that she has been able to pay for necessary treatment herself but if she didn't have the money what would she do. Again, another example of paying for something that you're not getting.

Obviously I accept that the two examples I have provided may be rare cases but it is something to consider when paying out such large sums of money each year.

That's great after the fact but not much use when you're not receiving the care you're after paying into a plan for.

But she was still covered for her stay regardless of whether it was in a private room or not, the insurance covers you to a certain point but will never guarantee it. The other side of it is that if she had a serious brain injury she was probably in Beaumont under close monitoring? If that was the case then that would have been the best place for her insurance or no insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

ulinbac wrote: »

After going into the private hospital, I heard stories of people who had to wait a few days before admission, though I only had to wait 3 hrs! In public hospitals, due to lack of facilities, they put people with anxiety/depression in with schitzophrenics, alzeimhers, dementia etc. The odds of getting better decrease significantly,and your in a room with up to 12 others. When lock down happens, you do not want to be there!!!

Where I was, after 3 days I had free roam to use my car, go shopping and we even had a gym and pitch n putt course. My medical team consisted of a psychiatrist, 2 psychologists, occupational therapist, 2 psych nurses and a registrar doctor. We met the team a number of times a week and had double/single rooms with en-suites.

PHI pays for itself, just hope and pray that you never have to use it!!!

Just to say, there are people with psychosis etc on the ward you were on! And Lockdown can happen anywhere in the hospital
    Plus if you were unlucky enough to be with another consultant, you would have been one floor down on an acute ward, PHI or not! Its the luck of the draw and it could change next week. The current system only came in on Jan 1st
    But yes, the teams are great as are the facilities

But she was still covered for her stay regardless of whether it was in a private room or not, the insurance covers you to a certain point but will never guarantee it. The other side of it is that if she had a serious brain injury she was probably in Beaumont under close monitoring? If that was the case then that would have been the best place for her insurance or no insurance.

No, she was actually in James's, the hospital she was brought to originally by ambulance, and her doctors advised that moving her could cause unnecessary stress on her injuries. This was one of the problems with her being in a public ward, her doctors advised that noise and any sort of elevation to her level of confusion (she had serious memory loss immediately after the accident) could put severe pressure on her brain and yet, despite paying into a private healthcare plan, she was left on a public ward which could have possibly exacerbated her condition.

If I was paying that amount of money per year I would expect it to be a guarantee that I would get what I'm paying for.

And as I said already in relation to another aunt of mine, she had tumors removed from her knees and has been undergoing treatment for same for the past 2 years and she has ended up paying the bill for all of this treatment herself because her healthcare provider claims that the condition is pre-existing, which it isn't.

Yes, it may turn out that the healthcare provider will be proved to be in the wrong and her bills will be covered but that's of no help to her right now (or over the last 2 years) while she has been going through hell and having to deal with that kind of dispute at the same time. She is extremely lucky that she has been able to pay for necessary treatment herself but if she didn't have the money what would she do. Again, another example of paying for something that you're not getting.

Obviously I accept that the two examples I have provided may be rare cases but it is something to consider when paying out such large sums of money each year.
    You are not covered for pre-existing for a certain number of years depending on your age and policy if you change your policy/join.

I am a 5 year oesophageal cancer survivor and I would have been lost without my healthcare. I was treated in a private hospital in a nice environment. If I had gone puplicly to be seen I would not have seen the same consutant and would have been dead before I was seen.

I was only 32 when I was diagnosed.

• Advertisement

You are not covered for pre-existing for a certain number of years depending on your age and policy if you change your policy/join.

I am a 5 year oesophageal cancer survivor and I would have been lost without my healthcare. I was treated in a private hospital in a nice environment. If I had gone puplicly to be seen I would not have seen the same consutant and would have been dead before I was seen.

I know you're not covered for pre-existing conditions, that seems fairly obvious. What I'm saying though is that it wasn't a pre-existing condition. The problem reared it's ugly head at least a year after she took out her private healthcare insurance but they are trying to claim that it is a pre-existing condition. How can it be pre-existing if nobody knew it was there?

She woke up one morning and out of the blue she couldn't put all her weight through her right leg, just when she thought her problems with her right knee were sorted, she began having the same problems with her left knee.

As I said, she is extremely lucky to be able to afford to pay to be treated in the best clinics for her medical problems but this is on top of the money that she paid into a private healthcare plan which has basically now proved pointless.

If she had been treated publicly she would have had to wait 10 months for her first appointment with a specialist so if she didn't have the money to pay for the treatment herself who knows where she would be now.

I know you're not covered for pre-existing conditions, that seems fairly obvious. What I'm saying though is that it wasn't a pre-existing condition. The problem reared it's ugly head at least a year after she took out her private healthcare insurance but they are trying to claim that it is a pre-existing condition. How can it be pre-existing if nobody knew it was there?

She woke up one morning and out of the blue she couldn't put all her weight through her right leg, just when she thought her problems with her right knee were sorted, she began having the same problems with her left knee.

As I said, she is extremely lucky to be able to afford to pay to be treated in the best clinics for her medical problems but this is on top of the money that she paid into a private healthcare plan which has basically now proved pointless.

If she had been treated publicly she would have had to wait 10 months for her first appointment with a specialist so if she didn't have the money to pay for the treatment herself who knows where she would be now.
    If you have a condition for before a certain length of time even if you do not know about it but it can be proven that you had symtoms then the insurance companies have a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

A condition is deemed to be pre existing if the onset date is deemed to be before the inception of the policy not if the condition is diagnosed before the policy starts. It has nothing to do with your insurer, the consultant determines whether or not the condition is pre existing

A condition is deemed to be pre existing if the onset date is deemed to be before the inception of the policy not if the condition is diagnosed before the policy starts. It has nothing to do with your insurer, the consultant determines whether or not the condition is pre existing

That makes no sense. If that's the case, any healthcare provider could pull that stunt on anybody. How is anybody (and by anybody, I mean a normal person) supposed to know that a condition is present until symptoms show up? She took out her healthcare policy in good faith, didn't hide anything. That's a very puzzling practice to me.

That makes no sense. If that's the case, any healthcare provider could pull that stunt on anybody. How is anybody supposed to know that a condition is present until symptoms show up? She took out her healthcare policy in good faith, didn't hide anything. That's a very puzzling practice to me.
    Had she gone to a doctor before hand in connection with having problems with it? In any case it would be standard for most insurance policies I would imagine.

Had she gone to a doctor before hand in connection with having problems with it? In any case it would be standard for most insurance policies I would imagine.

No, as I said, the problem appeared out of the blue one morning. She got up out of bed and couldn't put all her weight through her right leg. She had never had any problems with either of her legs previous to that.

Also, I know her main consultant has been in contact with her healthcare provider in relation to them paying for her treatment so I would assume therefore that he has provided information in relation to the "onset" of her condition.

That makes no sense. If that's the case, any healthcare provider could pull that stunt on anybody. How is anybody (and by anybody, I mean a normal person) supposed to know that a condition is present until symptoms show up? She took out her healthcare policy in good faith, didn't hide anything. That's a very puzzling practice to me.

The health insurer is "pulling" anything, you are not required to have any kind of medical before taking health insurance, the consultant acts in your best interest and isn't employed by the health insurer and is completely independent. If they had to determine if you had a condition before covering you they would have to do some very invasive/expensive/painful tests (spinal tap, blood tests, bone density tests, MRI, ct scans, pet ct scans, brain scans, xrays and a thousand other tests, as you would need to have these tests done yourself before taking health insurance you would need to fork out thousands beforetaking out a policy. Would this be a better system?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

John37 wrote: »
    Just wondering those amounts that people are stating that there premium is per year. Are they after tax amounts?

Yes the price I mentioned was what I actually have to pay, including that blasted Government levy!

The health insurer is "pulling" anything, you are not required to have any kind of medical before taking health insurance, the consultant acts in your best interest and isn't employed by the health insurer and is completely independent. If they had to determine if you had a condition before covering you they would have to do some very invasive/expensive/painful tests (spinal tap, blood tests, bone density tests, MRI, ct scans, pet ct scans, brain scans, xrays and a thousand other tests, as you would need to have these tests done yourself before taking health insurance you would need to fork out thousands beforetaking out a policy. Would this be a better system?

As I said already, "Also, I know her main consultant has been in contact with her healthcare provider in relation to them paying for her treatment so I would assume therefore that he has provided information in relation to the "onset" of her condition."

• Advertisement

That's exactly why I got my cover reduced to basically cover keeping me out of the public system but with none of the frills that i probably won't get anyway!

John37 wrote: »

Yes the price I mentioned was what I actually have to pay, including that blasted Government levy!

The plan is with Laya, the Group Name is IB Special and the Scheme is Essential First

As I said already, "Also, I know her main consultant has been in contact with her healthcare provider in relation to them paying for her treatment so I would assume therefore that he has provided information in relation to the "onset" of her condition."

He does provide them with the onset date of the condition but they are not in cahoots to avoid paying the claim, it's in the consultants intrest to be paid by the insurer rather than hse as he makes more from private patients than public

He does provide them with the onset date of the condition but they are not in cahoots to avoid paying the claim, it's in the consultants intrest to be paid by the insurer rather than hse as he makes more from private patients than public

I didn't say they were in cahoots. The consultant (and the rest of the doctors looking after her) is being paid out of her own pocket. She is not being treated as a public patient.

I didn't say they were in cahoots. The consultant (and the rest of the doctors looking after her) is being paid out of her own pocket. She is not being treated as a public patient.

Why would the consultant rather be paid by her and not the insurer? If she thought the consultant was incorrect about tue start date of the condition why didnt she seek a second opinion? A number of family members of mine have asked their consultant to state that their condition was a new one so that the insurer would cover it, none of the consultants have had a problem with this ad they were getting paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Family member had VHI and was put up in Galway Clinic

Great staff, great rooms, just all around brilliant place

When I need a long term stay I want to go there, not the overcrowded mess that is UCHG!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Just a bit of info for those saying 'Thank God for PHI or my hospital bills would have been astronomical":
    The charge for in-patient/day services is €75 per day up to a maximum of €750 in a any 12 consecutive months.
    Source

Of course, access to the hospital is a totally different issue.

Mucco wrote: »
    Just a bit of info for those saying 'Thank God for PHI or my hospital bills would have been astronomical":
    The charge for in-patient/day services is €75 per day up to a maximum of €750 in a any 12 consecutive months.
    Source

That's for a bed in a public ward in a public hospital, a semi private room in a public hospital is €900 per night, a private room in a private hospital is upwards of €2500 per night

Why would the consultant rather be paid by her and not the insurer? If she thought the consultant was incorrect about tue start date of the condition why didnt she seek a second opinion? A number of family members of mine have asked their consultant to state that their condition was a new one so that the insurer would cover it, none of the consultants have had a problem with this ad they were getting paid

Where did I say the consultant would rather be paid by her and not the insurer? She doesn't think the consultant is incorrect about the start date. The consultant has provided the healthcare provider with information that backs up my aunt's claim that she is entitled to her expenses being paid by her insurer but for some reason they still refuse. This has been going back and forth for many months now and she has involved a solicitor but unfortunately due to the nature of what she is being treated for neither her nor her partner have had a huge amount of time to dedicate to fighting the insurer. She has recently undergone some treatment to improve the problems she has been having with her spine so hopefully they will both be in a better position to deal with the matter then.

Where did I say the consultant would rather be paid by her and not the insurer? She doesn't think the consultant is incorrect about the start date. The consultant has provided the healthcare provider with information that backs up my aunt's claim that she is entitled to her expenses being paid by her insurer but for some reason they still refuse. This has been going back and forth for many months now and she has involved a solicitor but unfortunately due to the nature of what she is being treated for neither her nor her partner have had a huge amount of time to dedicate to fighting the insurer. She has recently undergone some treatment to improve the problems she has been having with her spine so hopefully they will both be in a better position to deal with the matter then.

Apologies I may have taken you up wrong. Do you mind me asking how old she is, if over 65 she would need to be insured for 104 weeks before a new condition was covered (a condition that started after the insurance was taken out)

Mucco wrote: »
    Source

But that doesn't include the cost of any procedure/drugs you might need. I had 2 operations this year, the first cost 3k and the second 2.7k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement