Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 year old 'unwittingly' runs up £1,150 bill on Xbox Live

• 14-07-2012 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Daily Moan wrote:
    Boy, 12, unwittingly ran up £1,150 bill on father's credit card by racking up 'Microsoft Points' while playing on his Xbox

By Kerry Mcqueeney

Nik Ghera thought he was using up game points to 'improve' his characters
    However he was actually purchasing an 'online currency' which charged his dad's credit card
    Dad Sam only realised when he tried to use his card and was told he had insufficient funds
    The council worker is now warning other parents of the hidden costs of games console

A 12-year-old boy accidentally ran up a £1,500 bill while playing Xbox Live - leaving his cash-strapped dad with no choice but to pick up the tab. [Clearly in the space of the heading and this sentence being written, the poor bastard was robbed of a further 350 quid]

Sam Ghera's son Nik thought he was using up game points every time he 'improved' his characters while playing Call of Duty and Fifa.

However, with each click he was actually purchasing an online currency - which was draining money from his dad's account.

Now Sam, from Wolverhampton in the West Midlands, wants to warn parents of the hidden costs lurking behind games consoles after he was left with a sky-high credit card bill.

http://www.xbox.com/security.'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -bill.html

Note to the Daily Mail: Choose one spelling of Xbox and stick with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Daddy gives son credit card, massive bills everyone else's fault but his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

how the Fe*ck .... is this council worker the ONLY person who doesn't get a monthly credit card bill ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

tut tut... letting his 12 year old son play an over 18s game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

I blame the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Serves him right for giving his son the card details and then not monitoring it's usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Their description of the games is hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Agree with all of the above. Also, well done to the Fail for writing the story six months after events occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Two children 8 and 9 in Newry ran up a bill of £1500 in a month with Apple. Apple paid it back after the BBC got involved. Starts about 1:50 in this broadcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01kwkkm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

Withdrawing cash on a credit card proves that he is a noob when it comes to handling his finances in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

PCPhoto wrote: »
    how the Fe*ck .... is this council worker the ONLY person who doesn't get a monthly credit card bill ??

This. "between December and June" He never once glanced at his statement :mad:
    Time for little nicky to get a summer job :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Guarantee the child knew what he was doing and because it was so long before it was noticed, he thought he could get away with it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Well, to be fair m$ are sly when it comes to things like that. No passwords and not being able to remove cc without a bit of hassle. All so easy for people to judge. He didn't use the system so how was he to know. And above post about over 18 how many of you were below 18 and playing them so please stop being so hypocritical. If not 18 I bet you were 13 at a stage playing 16+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Not even sure how anyone spends that much on xbox live :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

mocata wrote: »
    Withdrawing cash on a credit card proves that he is a noob when it comes to handling his finances in general

WHAT!!!!:confused::eek: you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

He knew what he was doing .He had to buy microsoft points with real money and would have been asked for example 200 mircosoft points for 10 pounds.Got caught out when his dad found out and blamed the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭FlapsOfDoom

What I want to know is, how do you add extra weapons in call of duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

declan2693 wrote: »
    Well, to be fair m$ are sly when it comes to things like that. No passwords and not being able to remove cc without a bit of hassle. All so easy for people to judge. He didn't use the system so how was he to know. And above post about over 18 how many of you were below 18 and playing them so please stop being so hypocritical. If not 18 I bet you were 13 at a stage playing 16+.
    But his son used the system and and he knew what he was doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

It's quite obvious, if you've ever used XBL, that you have to actually buy Microsoft Points, and they have nothing to do with "improving characters".

Unless he is seriously thick, he knew exactly what he was doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

"Unwittingly" my hole.
    You're asked multiple times to comfirm and it clearly shows how much the points cost. When you run out of points you're even asked if you want to purchase more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Typical blameless culture, its not my own fault, its the evil games company, its not that I'm an idiot parent who let a child use my credit card, its that theres HIDDEN COSTS (there isnt, it tells you in real money how much MS points cost) stupid parent is stupid. none story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Will somebody please think of the children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Improve character's is the bit that get's me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

bring back the good old days of the N64 and the Gamecube when you had to save up to get a game

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

He likely was actually using a Debit card such as a Visa Debit I'd say, explains why he was unable to take out funds.

Like, even If you bought every single call of duty map pack.... Mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's not just Microsoft, companies today make it way too easy to rip ourselves off unknowingly, they do not do enough to prevent it, in fact encourage it. It's a growing trend.
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/107033731246200681024/posts/hH788zwmM12

mocata wrote: »

Not really, tiny charge for doing it and can allow a couple of months extra with next to no interest. Not noticing unexplained charges for 6 months proves he's a noob at handling finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

What I want to know is, how do you add extra weapons in call of duty.

I want to know why the guy was paying for things that unlock as you play.

The kids excuse is bull**** tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

But.

Looking good on a nerdy video game > £1,150 credit bill

No question about that. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The kid was spending 5.99 a month to play on Xbox Live? Is there not a subscription for a year? Yeah it'd cost more than 5.99 but it would all work out in the end. Anyway, I doubt the kid 'unwittingly' ran up the bill. At 12, playing with his friends on the net and possibly with ones at school, would have understood the mechanics of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

With the amount of junk mails for special offers banks send these days I dont even bother opening my mail if I see its from the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

And I bet this little kid has also been bought call of duty? Seems like under 13 year olds is the majority of the players.

Sh1t parenting all round these days!:rolleyes:

Augmerson wrote: »
    The kid was spending 5.99 a month to play on Xbox Live? Is there not a subscription for a year? Yeah it'd cost more than 5.99 but it would all work out in the end. Anyway, I doubt the kid 'unwittingly' ran up the bill. At 12, playing with his friends on the net and possibly with ones at school, would have understood the mechanics of the game.

5.99 is what it is going through XBL. Year-long subscriptions can be bought for less than £40 last time I checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Serves him right for letting the Xbox babysit his son, He should sell the kids Xbox and TV along with other stuff to raise money. Then he should spend more time with his son. Kid knew what he was doing. What extra guns can you buy in COD anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Augmerson wrote: »

Kids, even at age 12 tend to be smarter than their parents with technology. I'd say he knew exactly what he was at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Doff wrote: »
    What extra guns can you buy in COD anyway?

kid thinking on his feet i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Their description of the games is hilarious

Yeah, I wanna buy those weapons!!! How the fook do I get them?

Seriously, if this kid was buying avatar products, which it probably was, I'm gonna laugh my ass off.

I find it funny how the dad is blaming Xbox for the kid having a regular account set up rather than a minors account, which has all the things he suggests. Whose fault is that really?

£5.99 a month for Live? I pay €50 for the year, and that's a lot. Why do parents do the monthly sub for their kids?

I'm thinking the kid was trying to buy "hax" using MS points.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Nik Ghera thought he was using up game points to 'improve' his characters
    However he was actually purchasing an 'online currency' which charged his dad's credit card

What dinosaur wrote this drivel? An 'online currency'...Wooooohhhhh!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

£5.99 a month for Live? I pay €50 for the year, and that's a lot. Why do parents do the monthly sub for their kids?

:eek: damn right that's a lot, try ~€37 for 14 months

anyway, the kid knew what he was doing. expensive lazy parenting bill

Good parenting from the dad :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Kids know what they're doing. Bad parent is bad.

Just to add, it's not Microsoft's fault at all. It's the parent's fault. You're letting a 12 year old kid play a game where it's about killing people and the kid can't even tell what a fooking credit card is used for and how to use it. I'd say it'a parental issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I blame the video game - They're proven to turn children violet and now they can add thieves to the list!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Because of Nik, the lying little b0llocks, we have to endure more 'the evils of video games' nonsense!

Game face, Sam! FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I blame the video game - They're proven to turn children violet and now they can add thieves to the list!!!

If it washes off in the shower, no harm done eh?

It is the dailymail :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Wouldn't be surprised if microsoft stepped in and offered to cover the bill as a good will sort of thing. Pretty much every young lad has an Xbox so can't be upsetting the parents. Seriously though the kid knew I exactly what he was doing, and I think it would be far better if microsoft didn't step in and taught people a lesson. I love how everytime something like this happens the parents come out and blame the company, maybe if they were are little more involved in their children's lives **** like this wouldn't happen, I know so many children who spend every waking moment in their rooms on their own, and have to be dragged out if th room for meals etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Xbox is shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Riamfada wrote: »
    Daddy gives son credit card, massive bills everyone else's fault but his.

Not really. Parents need to sleep, after all. I 'borrowed' my parents card and they didn't figure it out until the bill came and they couldn't explain some of the charges.....

I lied. They assumed the card details had been stolen somehow.

Parent's just trying to get out of the bill for not paying attention. Kid should be arrested for theft/fraud.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

How did that kid run up a £1,150 bill anyways!!! :eek:

He must of downloaded everything he saw. Sure most new Arcade titles are 1200 ms points (something like 14 euro) .. unless he was buying 'games on demand' from Live.... probably the case.

Stupid kid.
    But then again, we're all guilty of doing stupid things when we were younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

How did that kid run up a £1,150 bill anyways!!! :eek:

EA has a system where you can buy player packs for your fantasy team. It's a random system and you can spend as much as you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement