Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time camper - few questions

• 14-07-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi
    We are hoping to buy a tent and start having some camping breaks and I have a couple of questions if anyone can help:

1. I've put an offer on an ex hire used tent (Gelert Horizon 6 man) on Ebay (I'm also new to Ebay), and am wondering is this a bad idea. Do people buy used tents or would there be pieces missing.

2. The above tent is large. Do Irish campsites charge you more for pitching a larger tent. We are a family of five so don't see how we can avoid getting a decent sized one but we might want to consider this if we are going to always have to pay more because of the size of our tent.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

First of all you should ask the seller is the tent complete and does it have any damage if he assures you all is in order and you pay by paypal then if there is a problem you can open a dispute on paypal and either get your money back or a partial refund to keep it despite problems.

A good quality tent can be erected a vast number of times my only issue with a rental tent is that inexperienced people tend to erect them asymmetrically and you can end up with one seam or guy rope taking most of the tension.

Tears can be repaired with sail repair tape which will last years. Poles can be expensive to replace. For that tent you'd be typically charged a 'family tent' rate which usually includes two adults two kids and then an extra charge for extra adults / kids.

The tent is only a small part of what you need you should look around the ads there are often people selling complete camping packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

it looks like a large dome tent? once its not ripped and no bits missing , if your new to camping and you have smallish kids, a few tips from my experience,
    rain gear and wellies
    portapotti if you have room
    gas tilly lamp
    dont use the "suitcase"folding table and chairs (disaster)
    ALWAYS HAVE BEER /WINE IN THE COOL BOX
    remember to open your wet tent when you get home
    enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

karmaan wrote: »
    it looks like a large dome tent? once its not ripped and no bits missing , if your new to camping and you have smallish kids, a few tips from my experience,
    rain gear and wellies
    portapotti if you have room
    gas tilly lamp
    dont use the "suitcase"folding table and chairs (disaster)
    ALWAYS HAVE BEER /WINE IN THE COOL BOX
    remember to open your wet tent when you get home
    enjoy it!

I'd swap the gas lamp for a battery one... Much safer with kids.
    Also airbeds are a must... Pillows and duvets from home are ideal then too.

Gelert make pretty good tents... I had a gelert mayon vario 4 for a few years serviced us well and I sold as new for half the price I paid for it 6 years on.

eBay is pretty safe... Re read the listing for condition and ask the seller questions...and check their feedback.
    Sellers are usually very honest about descriptions.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I'd swap the gas lamp for a battery one... Much safer with kids.

Agreed these are a great substitute lots of light for not a lot of watts so you don't need to worry much about the car battery.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-65314-12-Volt-Fluorescent-Handlamp/dp/B0001K9ZEG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1342343675&sr=8-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I was thinking more along the lines of a lantern one.
    I have an osram fluorescent one that is v good.
    I also have a wind up one which is pretty good.
    The LIDL ones are rubbish(wind up ones)
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Check out the Camping Ireland to get an idea how much different campsites charge. Most charge the same for a large tent, caravan or motorhome.

I would suggest you get an electrical hookup to allow you to use electrical appliances in the tent like lights, kettle etc.

In this country you will need warm sleeping bags even in summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

We have the "suitcase" table & chairs - its a bit tidy but its never let us down.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 humtydumty

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I also posted on Outdoor pursuits and am following up on suggestions regarding tents. Heading into Millets shortly and hopefully I will come home with a tent. Happy camping.

Advertisement